Malmaison Hotel
US$395
US$316
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Grand Central Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$235
US$190
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$168
1,615 results
All reviewshonours restaurantbig yinduplex suitechateaubriandmini barcity centreq parkstandard roomlovely hotelreception staffclub roomrestaurant staffcooked breakfasta great nights sleeplovely roomstreet noiseovernight stay
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We stayed at the Mal for 2 nights at Dinner Bed and Breakfast + £350. We were looking forward to a lovely meal in their Brasserie. We were advised on arrival that Dinner was from the 'fixed menu' - price £16 per person. We were charged extras for bread, veg, coffee etc and 10% service charge added. The fixed menu was the same both nights and was restricted to 5 main courses (not including veg as these were sides and extras
This didn't seem value for money and we won't be staying again in the future.

The room was OK - a little tired and overlooking the benefit office behind. Not great!

The staff were very pleasant and helpful though - Great service but not worth the money - we expected the evening dinner to be something special....sadly it wasn't

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2010

If you check back on all my other contributions made to hotels, hostels, B&Bs and restaurants you'll see that I am honestly fair when it comes to reviewing places.

I am SO angry with mine and my boyfriends stay at this hotel. Probably partly my fault for having quite high expectations for the hotel. I'm not going to completely trash it, because the service wasn't to bad, however I felt it was really forced from the girls on reception as if its the only decent thing they have left to offer at this crappy hotel!

We paid £125 for the hotel and added breakfast on when we got there which totalled at £20 for the both of us, so forgive me for expecting a tiny bit of luxury at £145 for one night!

- We walked up to our room and it was ROASTING hot! there was NO air condition and
obviously as its an old building they have those huge windows that you can't open for
health and safety.
- Our room looked onto an office building that was only a few feet away so we were
being stared at by office workers when we were sitting on our bed so not only was it
roasting hot but we had to close our nice thick dark colored curtains on a scorcher of
a day!!!
- We found an open half eaten bag of peanuts lying on the desk in our tiny tiny little box
room.
- One set of towels for the both of us.
- The cold tap in our bathroom sink was absolutely boiling hot - as was the hot water
tap.
- In the morning we got woken up at 7.30am by a cleaner pounding the hoover off our
door after obviously hoovering the lobby outside.
- Initially there was confusion when we went downstairs for our breakfast - we got told
we had to pay an extra £13 each for breakfast even though we'd already paid £20
when checking in. However after a few minutes of staff running back and forth we got
told everything was fine and we didn't have to pay anything extra however I still feel that
they were trying to trick us out of money etc.

Like I said previously the staff were quite friendly on arriving etc and were more than willing to book us taxis and help us with maps if necessary. Also the breakfast was really really great and worth the money as there was so much to choose from.

I cant help but feel for a couple of pounds more you can get absolutely exceptional quality and treatment from Hotel Du Vins - One Devonshire Gardens which isn't as central but far better quality than this hotel which seems to just hide under its grand 'Malmaison' title!! They obviously think that the 'Malmaison' title entitles them to charge WAY over the odds for absolute shoddy surroundings and just a crappy hotel over all.

No apologies from any staff members even after i'd alerted them to the peanut and towel situation.

I won't be going back in a hurry. This place was a total let down to the Malmaison chain.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Small rooms, I was lucky enough to get a suite but it really is not worth the money, tired paintwork, door cracked, bed very hard but surprising linen very good quality, food is good though, this is one place that can present poached eggs to a high standard.

Stupidly the trouser press is fixed in the wardrobe. So its quite impossible to use, the TVS are very dated I would say at lease ten years old, very poor picture and nit sufficient channels offered

The service is very good but god they are slow, in essence this hotel is very tired and I would certainly not stay here if I had to pay with my own money, I was on business and will try another on my next trip,a shame really as the concept is sound.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HettyWainthrop
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I can remember when Malmaison was a breath of fresh air on the city hotel scene. It had attitude and distinction, but time has moved on and Malmaison hasn't.

Like all 'of the moment' aesthetics, Malmaison's design has become dated and it feels tired. And in other respects it feels like the business isn't trying very hard anymore - the room was hot and the bar was cold. Sometime the service was great and sometimes it was hopeless.

I stayed here because I couldn't get back to London due to the volcano in Iceland that brought Europe's airline network to a standstill. I had been staying locally, at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens before that, but they were fully booked for the additional night. Both hotels are part of the same group, but there is no doubt where the effort is being applied. One Devonshire Gardens was outstanding and only twenty pounds more expensive. Stay there instead. It is world's better.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I have stayed at the Mal Glasgow many times I got married there in 2006 so I always find an excuse to return. The hotel lobby and bar areas are stunning the staff are friendly. The resturant looks a bit dated I think but the private dining rooms are amazing and it feels very special to eat in one. The standard rooms can be a bit small and I would recomend requesting at room at the back of the hotel as it can get hot during the night and its too noisey to open a window at the front. Its in a fab location for seeing the city centre there are loads of shops bars and resturants near. The food at the hotel sounds fab on the menu but doesnt always translate well on your plate I would eat out if you can Red Onion and The amber regent are 5 mins away and both excelent resturants. No doubt I will continue to return for the modern boutique feel, lush rooms and fab toiletries.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple