“Worst night's sleep ever in a hotel”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #38 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Worst night's sleep ever in a hotel”
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I had the "pleasure" of one night's stay at the Malmaison just yesterday. And whilst the rooms are aesthetically pleasing albeit a bit small, the night was completely ruined by the noise from the hotel bar at 2am...on a Monday. After phoning reception without much luck I was eventually offered ear plugs or another room to sleep...at what was now at about 2h30am.

As far as I can ascertain I don't really think a hotel should even be CONSIDERING offering ear plugs as a result of music coming from within its own building!! When I did pick up the key to the alternative room, the drunken singing was still distinctly audible in reception. This all on a Monday.

Overpriced food, small rooms, and the worst night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel. Or for that matter, a backpackers. It may well have been an isolated incident, but even so, what hotel offers its residents ear plugs due to the noise from its own bar? SHOCKING.

Stayed December 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We loved our time from start to finish, and cannot say how amazing the staff were in all areas. The rooms and food were excellent value, and the cocktails were great. The bar staff made some great recommendations and the hotel was really relaxing after a long day shopping! Breakfast was a bit busy the following morning but we had been warned and knew what to expect. My boyfriend and I will definately return and told all my friends what a great time we had at Malmaison Glasgow.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2010

We have used the Malmaison in Leeds on many occassions and when the opportunity came to stay in Glasgow we decided to book the Malmaison as in the past we have always been impressed with their service and hotels. The Glasgow Hotel was very disappointing, the room was tired and dull, the cushions were dirty, there was no waste paper bin, or stationery. Breakfast service left a lot to be desired. On checking out there was a £1.40service charge on the bill which we were told was a discretionary tray charge and as we had not had anything of that sort we asked for it to be removed. A most disappointing experience, and sadly we will not book this Hotel again.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2010

My fiancee and myself stayed here as part of a romantic break together. On arrival we were greeted by the welcoming and very helpful hotel staff. At this moment i thought i had chosen the perfect hotel but as soon as we entered the elevator doubts started to enter my head as the it appeared really run down. Once we arrived on the 5th floor we left the elevator to the long corridor to our room. This was in need of some TLC and a lick of paint. Once we entered the room i first thought it was really nice. Once the lights were on (in what was a really dark room) i began to notice many flaws in the room. The first thing i noticed was that the carpets in the room were very thin and worn, next was the paint work in the room, the walls were in serious need of a paint, when looking at the windows the frames were all cracked and tired looking and the velux windows handles were hanging off, next was the bed. This was really hard and uncomfortable and in the 2 nights i stayed i barely slept a wink due to the bed and also because the walls were so thin and you could hear EVERYTHING happening in the adjoining rooms and corridors. The bathroom again was like the rest of the room, very poorly kept and for what was meant to be a suite was was very small. On a positive note the food at breakfast was really good and the staff were flawless. Also the bar staff were nice and friendly. This has really doubted what i thought of the malmaison chain and i would be hard pushed to recommend this hotel to anybody as there are much better hotels in central Glasgow for alot less. The Novotel round the corner has more plush rooms for a fraction of this place!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2010

OMG. October 2010 and the girls and I decided we should have a little break, something new, something exciting. Booked a room at the Malmaison (luxury sweet- £260 a night). How disappointed were we when we went into the room to find NOTHING "luxurious" about it. A standard room, would rather have stayed in the Premier Inn.
Staff were rude, room was not very pleasant and to top it all off, we had a knock on our room door by Police Officers at 3.24am (advising us that they had the wrong room, but we got NO apology)
Obviously after staying the night, we wrote a letter of complaint. Everything was taken into account and the Malmaison offered us a free nights stay (upgraded room, complimentary drinks/breakfast), yes we were happy but then later realising that the room we in actual fact stayed in was a room that cost £115. It WASNT a luxury suite at all and the upgrade that the Malmaison had now offered was the room that we had ORIGINALLY paid for in the first instance. Another means for a complaint dont you think? Well we did and NOW the Malmaison are not happy for us to have the "free room". Have got police involved to see if they DID IN ACTUAL FACT COME TO OUR ROOM AT 3.24am and all CCTV footage is being checked (maybe its just me, but I think they are doubting our original complaints and are basically calling us LIARS).
I will DEFINATELY not be back here. Terrible hotel, terrible way of dealing with complaints. Like I said previoulsy, would have been happier staying in the Premier Inn.
I currently work in a Law Firm and have told all members of staff NOT to stay at this hotel (especially the ones that had already decided that this is were they woulb be booking a room at new year). I have a member of family who works for the News of the World newspaper and I WILL BE TAKING THIS FURTHER. Totally disgusted with the Malmaison, a hotel with so much to say, so much to show but can't deal with customers in the correct manner!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zee048
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Enjoyed my stay here alot. Location was great right in city center. Hotel cocktail bar and restaurant was good but pricey. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Last weekend was a huge success! We were celebrating my wifes birthday, and having discretely let the hotel know, we found ourselves upgraded to a duplex suite. Fantastic!
The staff and service were excellent.
Food was also very good, though we arrived late on Friday night and pretty much missed dinner. A cheeseboard had been prepared and we managed dessert, so were were certainly not left hungry.
We stayed over Halloween, and the restaurant staff really went out of their way to dress up. Fabulous costumes, mostly home made, and they worked the whole shift fully dressed up without complaint. All for a charitable cause.
The restaurant can be quite dark, and being there for the whole weekend I did find myself in need of escape outside.
The hotel is not afraid to charge. we were recommended wine at over £50.00 per bottle, and there were a number of small additional charges added to our bill which were "optional", but we had the discomfort of asking for it to be removed. IE. In restaurant we were charged for Service, Gratuity and a charitable donation. I left a cash tip and had service and gratuity removed.
This, however, did not detract from our overall experience, and I recommend the Mal in Glasgow to anyone.