“The Town House - 21 Royal Crescent, Glasgow”
Review of The Town House

The Town House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glasgow
The Town House
Ranked #29 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Inverness, United Kingdom
“The Town House - 21 Royal Crescent, Glasgow”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Definitely Not To Be Confused With The Hughenden Terrace Establishment, this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, anywhere and, as a Scot, I am ashamed of the impression this place must be making on foreign visitors. Their online description and pictures bear almost no relation to the real state of affairs.

We arrived late and tired after a long drive. Our first allocated room was smelly, with stained carpets, rickety old window that would not close, filthy toilet and shower, broken lampshades, dodgy door lock, TV with no sound or remote control. It was so noisy you felt like you were in the street. We complained and asked to be moved. To give him his due, the night receptionist managed to find a quieter room at the back of the house for us. On entry, the smell of cigarette smoke was most unpleasant, and when I went to close the curtains a nest of bluebottles exploded into the air. Again, the whole room and bathroom, with the exception of bed linen, was dirty, dingy and depressing, with stained and broken furniture/fittings etc, etc. I went back to reception and told him about the flies...he offered no help whatsoever. Exhausted by this time, I just asked him to find a fly spray...he said he would 'have a look downstairs' and disappeared, to return 10 minutes later with one, which he handed to me as if it were first prize in a competition, before turning on his heel without a word and retiring behind the front desk.

After I had dealt with the 50 or so bluebottles, and expelled the pigeon which had arrived from somewhere, we had little choice but to sleep there, having been promised a shift to a better room the next day. We were booked for 4 nights...

Leaving for a hard day's work after breakfast we returned early evening to our newly-allocated ground floor room. It was slightly cleaner than the previous two, but still grubby, tatty and dingy...broken tiles hanging dangerously from the shower base...black, slimy mould on the shower head and elsewhere...bin never emptied...I could go on but can't be bothered.

Overall, this hotel, including the public areas, is in a very dilapidated, grubby and sometimes dangerous condition, and I was surprised to find no fire escape route from the top floor. It is such a great shame that this glorious old listed building, with its ornate plaster cornices and other fine architectural features has fallen into the wrong hands...it could so easily have been converted into a wonderfully atmospheric, period hotel of great charm but that opportunity has, sadly, been missed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Prince C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We too stayed in room 6. VERY heavy mould on the shower walls and ceiling. Little or no cleaning done. the scummiest toilet brush you can imagine (see photo). DNA stains on the walls and i mean not just specks but huge patches of some kind dark matter. Even for the small(er) nightly rate, I would not stay in there EVER again.

Room Tip: avoid the hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jakub3000

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Harpswell, Maine
Reviewed 13 September 2011

The "hotel" as they call themselves should be shut down by the health authorities.It is very badly worn and in much need of refurbishing and cleaning. We were assigned room 9 on the top floor. The room is very small and very stuffy. That's the very best I could possibly say.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2009

First of all let me tell you about booking in. I got there at 12.30 lunch time to be meet in a rude manor and told I could not check in till one, i explained that was ok but I just wanted to leave my bag there till later as I had to go to see someone in hospital first.

When I came back later to check in I was told that they were not doing cooked breakfast anymore and that this was the case from now on, this had not been told to me on the phone at the time of booking.

I went to the room to get cleaned up, the shower still had hair in it and the shower try was so dirty it needed scrubbing to chip off what ever mess had been left in there. The tiles were broken off the wall and mould was all over the celling and around the glass door.

The bedroom floor was a wooden floor and the dust and fluff and god knows what ever else was all around the bed legs and skirting boards. It just lloked as if someone had sweept and left it to the sides.

The bedroom window had thick black dirt all around the window and it was growing in the curtins. This looked as if it had never been cleaned in years. The try wihich had tea and coffee on it was broken and not even been bothered to be changed. The t.v did not work nor did it have a remote control.

All over the stairs there were bags off dirty sheets and they were even smelling bad. When I went to complain to the manager he said he would clean the room again for me, He was gone about 20 mins then came back to tell me it was all clean.

I went back to the room and the smell of old diry mop was all over the room. He had not used any cleaning materials just by the smell of it old water. The bathroom was still in a state. I went back up again to ask for a room change be he would not even do this for me saying I was asking for too much. I tried to get another hotel but Cold Play were inconcert and all rooms were booked up. The manager was rude not caring and his manor well put it this way he should not work with people face to face.

Please please please do not use this hotel it is very poor and thats almost to good a word to say.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank Pinkladys
cumbria
Reviewed 27 July 2008

stayed at the townhouse as a birthday treat from my husband and son.the first room we had number 6 was not very clean the drawers had crushed quavers in with sweet papers and an empty can.the sink had a big strand of hair still in it and it was not one of ours as we all have short hair.went to reception to complain so he moved us down stairs to room 4.that was the worst hotel room i have ever stayed in,and i have stayed in plenty.the dark blue carpet had never been hovered,there was toe nails all over it,and the dust was unbelieveable.the shower was very dirty,the only thing i could say it had clean towels.the white covers even had stains on.i cannot say any more about this place,as there is so much to tell.but i would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank herbet
Hawick
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Well, first up, the room was on the top floor - I think #7. I believe that the other rooms were ok (but I can't vouch for it). I can say that our room was very grubby (mould, stains, loose plaster) - 'tired' is the word I used when I complained to the manager. I was told that the room had been scheduled for redecoration but that the owner continued to take bookings for it. I'll just point out that the breakfast we had was acceptable.

On my return home (to the south of Scotland) I wrote to VisitScotland.com (the tourist board) to complain and they put me in direct contact with the hotel. That's when it got weird! I was told that my car had broken down and that the staff assisted me in jump-starting it. My wife had also been served with tea, shortbread and comforting words whilst the AA were attending to my car. Absolute tosh! Thing is, they prefaced the email by saying, along the lines of, 'we take great personal care in all our guests stay...' so to admit that they'd got us mixed up with other guests would have left egg on their face. So they didn't. Instead they insisted, by emails and phonecalls, that my car HAD broken down etc. etc. The complaint about the quality of the room was lost way back. A very surreal experience indeed. Bottom line: if you're going to let a room that you admit is sub-standard you should not charge full-whack. That was my issue. (If the management say anything, they didn't offer me a complimentary stay - and I wouldn't have taken them up on it.)

By all means, stay there if you must (I am not recommending it), but try to see the rooms first - and whatever you do, don't complain!

I like to patronise independent hotels wherever possible, but this has left a nasty - though amuzing - taste in my mouth. I'll be staying in the Carlton George when next I'm in Gasgow.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hawick-boy
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2007

My family and I stayed here for one night on our way up to the Highland Games. It was in a nice area and the family suite was wonderful and suited our needs. However, the person who checked us in wasn't very friendly and didn't want to be bothered. We were pretty much left on our own to find everything.

We were told to fill out our breakfast requirements and turn the form in to the front desk, which we did. When we went down for breakfast the next morning, they had not prepared ANY of the hot dishes we requested. We were given toast and cereal.

The tiles in the bathroom were coming up and needed to be replaced.

I would only recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Liked — The family suite
  • Disliked — The employees
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family