“A very surreal experience!”
Review of The Town House

The Town House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glasgow
The Town House
Ranked #29 of 36 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Hawick
“A very surreal experience!”
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Well, first up, the room was on the top floor - I think #7. I believe that the other rooms were ok (but I can't vouch for it). I can say that our room was very grubby (mould, stains, loose plaster) - 'tired' is the word I used when I complained to the manager. I was told that the room had been scheduled for redecoration but that the owner continued to take bookings for it. I'll just point out that the breakfast we had was acceptable.

On my return home (to the south of Scotland) I wrote to VisitScotland.com (the tourist board) to complain and they put me in direct contact with the hotel. That's when it got weird! I was told that my car had broken down and that the staff assisted me in jump-starting it. My wife had also been served with tea, shortbread and comforting words whilst the AA were attending to my car. Absolute tosh! Thing is, they prefaced the email by saying, along the lines of, 'we take great personal care in all our guests stay...' so to admit that they'd got us mixed up with other guests would have left egg on their face. So they didn't. Instead they insisted, by emails and phonecalls, that my car HAD broken down etc. etc. The complaint about the quality of the room was lost way back. A very surreal experience indeed. Bottom line: if you're going to let a room that you admit is sub-standard you should not charge full-whack. That was my issue. (If the management say anything, they didn't offer me a complimentary stay - and I wouldn't have taken them up on it.)

By all means, stay there if you must (I am not recommending it), but try to see the rooms first - and whatever you do, don't complain!

I like to patronise independent hotels wherever possible, but this has left a nasty - though amuzing - taste in my mouth. I'll be staying in the Carlton George when next I'm in Gasgow.

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hawick-boy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2007

My family and I stayed here for one night on our way up to the Highland Games. It was in a nice area and the family suite was wonderful and suited our needs. However, the person who checked us in wasn't very friendly and didn't want to be bothered. We were pretty much left on our own to find everything.

We were told to fill out our breakfast requirements and turn the form in to the front desk, which we did. When we went down for breakfast the next morning, they had not prepared ANY of the hot dishes we requested. We were given toast and cereal.

The tiles in the bathroom were coming up and needed to be replaced.

I would only recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Liked — The family suite
  • Disliked — The employees
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank KMG8
Washington DC
Reviewed 31 July 2007

How did you actually book the reservation? After the initial contact, the B&B refuses to answer emails or confirm the reservation. They took my credit card information but refuse to confirm the reservation. Will we have a place to stay? Have they gone on holiday, shut down, been closed by the Scottish Tourist board?

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank 2much2tell

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Paris, France Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 30 May 2007

We had stayed here before so thought we knew what to expect but we were disappointed. There was no vegetarian breakfast option, the cooked breakfast that remained as an option was invariably greasy, the mushrooms appeared to be tinned rather than fresh and, all in all, it was not particularly good.

The room was a resaonable size but badly needed redecorating. The feeling about the whole place was that no-one cared any longer. Perhaps the previous owners were perfectionists, hence our disappointment, but it was not the treat we had expected.

• Liked — Quite like the West End and the free parking!
  • Disliked — The food and the shabby decor.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LB47
Hughenden, Manager at The Town House, responded to this review, 9 July 2007
I would like to comment on the review below from someone in Barcelona.

I would like to know if it was The Town House in Hughenden Terrace or Royal
Crescent they stayed at?

As I am the manager at Hughenden Crescent and would be extremely shocked if he
was refering to our hotel. We have had the same owner for the last 10 years and
we take great care to ensure our guests leave here with a feeling fof having a
great stay here.

Our breakfasts are always fresh and nothing comes out of a tin, we use all local
produce and if a guest informs us on booking that they require special dietry
requirements we would attend to that also.

If indeed it was the Town House at Hughenden Terrace I would have expected the
guest to inform myself of the problems at the time and they would have been
remedied immediately.

Regards

Braintree, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 April 2007

We just returned from a stay at The Town House. We were there for five nights in total, two upon our arrival from the states, and three after some travel in the Highlands and Scandanavia.

The location is excellent, within walking distance of the University and the West End. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. We had beautiful views of the garden each time. The staff is friendly, helpful and go that extra mile. And, breakfast will brighten your day and fill your tummy! We highly recommend The Town House.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RamblinMar
here
Reviewed 10 December 2006

We stayed here in September 2006, and enjoyed our stay. The guest house is located in the West End - near the University. It seemed to be a very quiet residential area, but is a short walk from the main drag. The building itself has nice character (lots of wood molding, printed wallpaper, super-high ceilings) and the rooms were comfortable. Breakfast was decent. Staff was friendly and helpful, even allowing us to use their computer and living room after checkout time when our rental car fell through. We'd be happy to return here!

• Liked — Character of the building/quiet area
  • Tips/Secrets — Make dinner reservations - most places fill up
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tati13
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2006

Lovely old house with great personality. Spotless, good service, warm and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2006