Rennie Mackintosh Art School Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$175
US$171
US$200
US$100
US$115
US$111
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$65
US$92
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Yes I know it was he Commonwealth Games - so I expected to pay a bit extra, but I do hope this hotel uses the large profit it made during the games to clean the place up. Must have had the smallest room in Glasgow, very basic, and just saved from being totally claustophobic by being able to open the window fully. Reading light broken, dirty linen on the bed, not enough towels for two people, smallest bar of soap ever seen and the bathroom not terribly clean. Breakfast was extra (why do hotels do this) and I tried as hard as I could to get my £4 worth every day. You had to order everything from the waitress - no buffet here! And even then the order was wrong - and on one day we didn't even get our cereal - got it after the main course after pointing it out. On the last day we hadn't even finished our cereal before the main was plonked on the table. I have stayed here before and that's why I went back, but I think the owners took advantage of the games to charge London prices for really basic facilities.

Room Tip: If they offer you a room on the ground floor - SAY NO!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I can't believe we spent so much money and got so little value for this hotel. The hotel itself is in need of a lot of tender loving care. The room was as basic as it comes with shower needing upgrading. The decor needs some tlc and the furnishings were ok but basic. Toiletries in the hotel was a bar of soap and basic rough toilet sheets not roll. The breakfast was a poor experience- first day we asked for early breakfast ie 7.30 am (not really early for most hotels and as we had to be at the gates for commonwealth events) they accommodated by offering only cereal and toast with tea so not really accommodating the Glasgow event considering they bumped the price up to over £240 a night for a 2 star rated small double room. Second breakfast asked for poached eggs on toast and I might as well have asked for hard boiled eggs they were so over cooked and the yogurt I had afterwards I didn't think they sold yogurts like that any more-it was so bad I left it! Late at night we were woken by rowdy people in the street both nights at around 3 am. On a positive note we arrived late,we got a warm welcome, it had free wifi ,it's not too far to a train station though if you have walking difficulties it's definately not for you and if money and more detail was spent on this hotel it could be made into something. On he whole it's not enough and has almost put us off visiting Glasgow again! Sorry in my view as this stands it is a very poor hotel experience and wouldn't recommend at all!

Room Tip: On my experience it's not possible to recommend any room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Having read previous reviews, my boyfriend and I were slightly worried about what we were coming to, we however feel that some of the reviews on here have been misplaced for the other Rennie Mackintosh hotel in Glasgow, we stayed in the one near the School of Art.

When we arrived at 1pm our room was ready, however we felt some of the older staff members were a little blunt, although they were not rude!
The room was a small double and situated right above reception, handy for WiFi in the room! The skirting boards were filthy, looked like drinks had been splattered all over them, and the walls needed a wee lick of paint, but the toilet and shower were clean. Our window was jammed open about 2 inches, which we forgot to say to reception about, lucky it was warm, we were woken a few times by drunks walking by shouting and singing.
The main thing about this hotel is that it's definitely worth the money you pay! Don't be put off by previous reviews :)

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rebecca2711
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I must have been staying at a different hotel or my standards must be really low.
As I spent one night at The Rennie Macintosh hotel and did not have any complaints and I had a comfortable nights sleep.
The night porter was friendly and polite and there was tea and coffee facilities in the room. I was in room 3, this was a basic room but a luxury for me because I just spent four nights in Paris in a budget hotel. Read my review on Hotel Tamaris, Paris..
My only niggle would be that breakfast was only served from 7.30 till 9.30.
It is such a shame that this Hotel has bad reviews because the Hotel was nice.

Room Tip: Room 3 was nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank simonfunhouse
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Not a bad place to stay for the price. Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was very basic but did the job. Location was great, close to town but still quite.
I would stay here again ☺

Stayed here with my sister.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends