“Lovely stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central
Ranked #33 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

The room was really comfortable, clean and well presented. Went to the hotels bar for a drink but only stayed for one as it is over priced. Breakfast was tasty and brilliant selection. The hotel has a fantastic location. Would stay again :)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
linlithgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

First of all staff were nice. The hotel is old and dated you could say run down badly in need of refurbishment. Old Windows in room had bad condensation, we even opened window to try and clear but was freezing. Bathroom smelt really bad and unclean a bit like sorry guys but a male urinal toilets. I had to spray perfume and deodorant and leave door open to bathroom to vent the smell. We never complained as we were at Theatre and just staying for 1 night. We also ate dinner in bar area the food was sufficient. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to couples or families.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jules1981linlithgow
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here with a group of 9 girls from Dublin, could not fault the hotel 1 bit and would highly recommend it, we arrived at 10am to see could we leave bags there till check in at 2pm. Hotel rooms were ready and we were able to check in, staff were so nice from the reception, bar, leisure centre and cleaners, jus made our hens weekend even better :) will definitely return again!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ewing S, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very kind review. Your kind comments are much appreciated, and we are delighted you enjoyed your visit to Glasgow for your hen weekend. Thank you for your recommendation, and look forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards, Ewing Stewart, General Manager
London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Thistle Glasgow for a night while in Glasgow for my training as a Commonwealth Games volunteer. My normal haunt, the Citizen M, was full. As you might expect, I was feeling pretty good after spending a day with 4,500 of my fellow volunteers at a rousing event to launch our training. Alas, my stay at the Thistle put paid to that.

The room was fine, but as soon as I took a look around, I realised that as a chap of 6ft 3, I was unable to see my face in any of the mirrors unless I stooped down. The shower head was at the height of my chin (though as it turned out, there was another problem with it). There was no room safe, which it was a bit surprised by, but I was carrying my iPad and phone with me, so no real problem. On a longer stay, that would have been a nuisance.

When I returned to the hotel after a meal out, there was a big event on. That's only to be expected in big hotels, but the noise in my first floor room was a bit strong. Luckily my earplugs blocked enough of it out.

In the morning I was heading out to have a leisurely breakfast so decided to have a quick shower. The shower did not work. Not a drop of water. Rather than wait for a technician, I washed my hair in the tiny bathroom sink - no mean feat for a tall bloke.

At checkout, I expected to be asked how my stay was. However, there was no enquiry so I offered the key information that the shower didn't work. The response was "OK - PIN number please". I said again "The shower didn't work". "Yes", said the receptionist, "you told me that already". I asked if she had anything else to say. "No, I don't think so" she said "what were you looking for?" "How about saying sorry?" I ventured. "OK then, sorry" was her response. That was it. I had to drag out an apology, which was far from sincere.

I don't know whether the staff are poorly trained, or just offer poor service as standard. Either way, I will not be going back to the Thistle Glasgow and I will advise others to avoid it too.

If the manager is reading this and feels like responding privately, I'm alan@mediacoach.co.uk. And please fix the shower in room 102 so another guest doesn't have the same experience.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mediacoach
Perthshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

The room was clean and tidy, had a bit of an issue finding the second set of towels but they turned up in the drawer under the TV.Lifts were a bit strange and took ages to arrive, luckily we were on one of the lower floors so the stairs were the easier option.
We went down for breakfast at about 9am and it was very disappointing, the hot buffet looked dried up and tired, tea and coffee comes via the waiter, who carries round a pot of each - the tea was stewed and tepid.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
County Durham England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here with a group visiting The Burrel Colection, Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery among others. The Hotel was in a good location, our room was spotless, we had a Premier Executive Twi and n, which was excellent. The staff were all friendly and approachable. A good choice at breakfast, the Chef even came round to check that everything was to our satisfaction, the evening meal had excellent choice of dishes. I would certainly consider staying here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Although the rooms are adequate this hotel is noisy. Was woken this morning from a deep sleep by the fire alarm bell at 8am which lasted approx 2 seconds and almost scared me to death, not sure if it was a test or if someone had accidentally activated it, no prior warning. The alarm bell is located in the room just 4ft from the bed and LOUD! As I had arrived quite late was hoping for a lay in, not a chance. The noise from the traffic is horrendous as there is no double glazing and the banging of doors in the hotel equally as bad. If you want peace and quiet don't stay here.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business