“Left with a red face! ” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central
Ranked #33 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Left with a red face! ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

The room was ok. Few marks on walls and furniture has seen better days. But was clean and welI equipped. I had a meal if the bar- Amy's sticky chicken, I didn't really enjoy it but could have just been my taste. When I went to check out in the morning I was told I had drinks to pay for. I thought it was the water I had drank in the room but it was alcoholic drinks someone had charged to my room!! Fortunately the receptionist believed that it wasn't me who had the drinks, but I don't think this should have been allowed to happen. Surely you can't just give a room number and charge drinks without confirming who you are. I was embarrassed at having to explain myself and although the receptionist didn't doubt me I felt very uncomfortable in this situation. I think this policy needs looked at to avoid this happening to any other guests.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura b
Ewing S, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your response on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you didnt enjoy
Amy's sticky chicken which is a very popular dish on our menu, and we are sorry our staff were not aware of your dissatisfaction and given the opportunity to ensure you enjoyed your meal.
Once again, please accept our apologies for the error with the drinks charges to your room. We have investigated this issue, and pro active steps put in place to ensure no further re-occurrences.
Thank you for your comments regarding your bedroom, and we do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards, Ewing Stewart, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for the weekend, Got it for a good deal. hotel was lovely, and the staff were so welcome. the rooms were fab and the cleaning staff were lovely, always said morning etc. the breakfast was okay wasn't the best. the swimming area was lovely, very clean but didn't like the open area to get changed in. the location was good, so near the shops. the drinks at the bar weren't cheap at all. We also got fresh towels if needed. the bed was comfy but the pillows weren't they were far too high, and the fan in the bathroom wasn't working such was so annoying. But overall I would defo go back to this hotel but wouldn't pick the breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ewing S, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Many thanks indeed for your kind review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay
with us. As you will see from previous reviews, we receive excellent feedback regarding our breakfast service, and I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with this. Our breakfast chef's are often available in the restaurant, and they are sorry that they were
not aware of your disappointment. We have a Guest Relations Manager available 24 hours a day, so please let us know on your next stay, if you would like to change pillows, or if there is anything at all we can do or provide to make your stay more comfortable. Thanks again, and
we look forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards, Ewing Stewart, General Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We and a couple of friends booked a one night stay at the Thistle hotel so we could see our neice who was in the show Annie at the Kings Theatre. There were also coach loads of people from up north staying who were going to see the Dancing on Ice show, as such the hotel was quite busy.
Pre booked parking under the hotel is only £6.00 per 24 hours, which for city centre is good value.
Checking in was quick and faultless. Our rooms were more than acceptable and very clean.
After the show we returned to the hotel for a couple of nightcaps, the bar / cafe area is well set out and the service was very efficient.
Breakfast is self service buffet style, but there is everything you could want and all the cooked items were very well cooked.
If you want a central hotel at a reasonable price I would recommend the Thistle hotel, we will use it again if we go to see another show.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael F
Ewing S, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor, following your visit to Glasgow.
We are very pleased to read that your were happy with your stay at the Thistle Glasgow. Our new cafe bar just opened a couple of weeks ago, after being refurbished, and we are delighted with the results, and have received a lots of good feedback. We do appreciate your recommendation, and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next time you are in Glasgow. Yours sincerely, Ewing Stewart, General Manager.
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

First stay at Thistle Glasgow (previous stays at the Hilton and Menzies). Great central location and easy parking underneath which is a real bonus. Lovely reception area and staff were very pleasant and our room was ready early which was great. Room was on first floor which was OK. Dinner in the hotel was very good (3 courses £19.95). Lovely bar area and dining room. Breakfasts were very good and it was lovely that the Chef came around the guests to ask if everything was OK and had a bit of banter with the children. But then we decided to visit the leisure centre. What a disappointment - this needs a deep clean as soon as possible. The two showers in the ladies were disgusting. The shower curtains were hanging off and were covered in black mould. There was black sealant on the tiles between the wall and the floor which made it look even more disgusting. The drains in the showers and the ladies changing area were full of hair/grime and did not look as though they had been cleaned for days. There was no individual changing rooms or draining boards to stand on so you had to dry and dress in the open area where guests had walked in with outdoor shoes. Disappointed that the jacuzzi was not working either. The sauna and steam room are upstairs via a spiral staircase. The steam room smelt (for want of a better word) "stale". We did not return to the leisure centre which was disappointing as
it's always nice after a day walking around the shops! Hotel/staff/food was good but leisure centre needs looked at.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RiverTay2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to our hotel. We are pleased to read you enjoyed our city centre location, and yes the car parking is indeed a great asset. We appreciate your kind comments regarding our reception and staff and pleased you enjoyed your meal. I am sorry to read your comments regarding the Leisure Club, and I have discussed these with the Leisure Club Manager. The shower curtains are changed on a weekly basis, and the changing rooms are checked and freshened every two hours. Should guests wish a bit more privacy for changing, the accessable facility is also available. We experienced issues with the chlorine posing system in the jacuzzi last Thursday, and unfortunately, we had to close this facility on Friday, as the engineer did not have the part available. It is of course a great benefit to have these facilities available to our guests after a day at work, or a day's shopping and we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to the Leisure Club. Please be assured that your comments will be addressed and we do always take active steps whenever possible in order to improve our service. Thanks again for your feedback, we do hope you will return soon. Please let us know if you are, and we will ensure you have an enjoyable visit to the Leisure Club. Yours sincerely, Ewing Stewart, General Manager.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

this is a great place with great size rooms,nice staff ,very helpful unlike other UK hotels,,they do smile and ask if there is anything else they would do to make our stay more comfortable.
the WIFI is bullet speed ,,the leisure club is neat and organized.
executive rooms are spacious,clean ..the location is ideal..CITY CENTRE
will be my choice whenever we visit the great city of Glasgow.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ewing S, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent visit to the Thistle Glasgow. Your comments are encouraging for our staff to receive. We are delighted you enjoyed the service you received and our facilities, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next time you visit Glasgow. Kind Regards, Ewing Stewart, General Manager
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I love thistle / Guomen hotels but was a little disappointed in the leisure suite this stay, the pool had gravel type sand on the edges that was visible from mezzanine level mum reported it but day 2 still there. Drain in ladies had days worth of hair and lint in it. Unfortunately the jacuzzi was broken day 2 I guess these things happen.
In restaurant mum and I had a steak mum's tasted terrible and she couldn't eat it, we were given free desserts and issue dealt with quickly.
Room was to usual high standard and food in bar was lovely even with the remodelling going on.
I felt more could have been done for the number of times the no smoking rooms around us were clearly smoking.

Stayed February 2014
Ewing S, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, following your visit to our hotel. I am very sorry to read your comments regarding the Leisure Club and these have been addressed with the Leisure Club Manager. The pool area is hoovered once or twice weekly depending on the build up of sand that comes from the water filteration system which tends to build up in the corners. The Spa pool had a broken component which unfortunately took 3 days to obtain the part, I can confirm that this is now in full working order. I am sorry your mother's steak was disappointing, and pleased that our staff took the iniative to offer complimentary desserts. I confirm that the feedback was passed on to our Head Chef. We are delighted you enjoyed the room and the food in the bar, and we are delighted with our new Cafe Bar area. The hotel has a strict no smoking policy with clear signage in all of our bedrooms, and guests found smoking would be fined £75.00. We are sorry our Guest Relations Manager was not made aware of this issue, and given the opportunity to ensure you were completely satisfied with your stay with us. I am sorry that this stay was not as enjoyable as your first visit. I hope you will return again soon, and should you be doing so, please let us know! Yours sincerely, Ewing Stewart, General Manager.
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I booked an 'executive king' room and on arrival was surprised to find I had been upgraded to an enormous suite on the 6th floor (a first for me - that always seem to happen to other people)! There were two massive rooms, one had a kitchenette, 2 sofas, a TV and sound system...the other a huge bed table and chairs, etc. The bathroom was clean and beautiful.

My daughter and I had drinks and food in the bar that evening. The wine was quite expensive but very good and the sirloin steaks we had were good too - nice trimmings - but mine did have three fairly big inedible gristly bits. My daughter's was fine though, so I put it down to bad luck.

Breakfast was lovely and passed all my usual tests of having Earl Grey tea, good sausage, fresh toast and there was marmalade supplied. There was music but it was unobtrusive (thankfully). They serve breakfast up till 11am too which is great when you're on holiday.

The hotel has excellent parking underneath and is located in a great place near all the main shopping streets; at £6 for 24 hours its good value! The suite was quiet, being higher than the street, lifts are fast and quiet, security good and the bed was comfortable. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I only wish I had had time to use the pool and spa!

Thank you for the lovely upgrade!
Recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AliAberdeen
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review, and we are delighted you enjoyed your upgrade! We have recently added kitchen facilities to our 3 bedroom suites, and we have received a lot of good feedback.
We also receive lots of great feedback regarding our breakfast service, and I pleased that you also enjoyed your breakfast. Our Chef would have been pleased to replace your steak, and we are
sorry for your disappointment. Thanks again, for your lovely comments, which our staff will be pleased to read, and we do hope to welcome you back soon! Kind Regards, Ewing Stewart, General Manager.