“Good, well located hotel with some niggles”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside
Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, UK
“Good, well located hotel with some niggles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Check-in at this hotel was swift and friendly.

The room (531) was slightly dated, but clean and large. The mattress was a little firm for my taste, but was reasonably comfortable. There was plenty storage space for clothes, though only one power socket - if two of you want to charge your phone, you'll have to fight over it!

The room faced the main street, but the windows are fairly small, meaning that noise was kept to a minimum.

In my experience, the breakfast area isn't big enough. Had I not found the one spare (dirty) table, I don't know what I would have done - I'd gone down at 9.15 and breakfast is only served til 9.30 on weekdays. The food itself was the usual Express fare - continental breakfast plus toast, sausages, scrambled egg and beans. It was fine, though not memorable.

All in all, it was good value for the £45 I paid.

Room Tip: Go for a room on a higher floor to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed here for two nights during October 2012 after attending a concert at the SECC. The hotel itself is a little dated and in need of some TLC. I felt that the room we had wasn't the cleanest but my wife disagreed. Perhaps it was that it was just a little old and tired. I've stayed in a lot of Holiday Inn Express hotels and I think that this is the one that I have been least impressed with. The reception staff weren't great when we checked in. Couldn't find our reservation and tried to get me to sign as two other guests before we eventually got there!
In saying that, there are several positive things to mention. The location of the hotel is excellent. Very close to the city centre and Argyle Street Train station which is very handy for SECC. There is a large car park across the road (King Street) which you can buy cut price vouchers for from reception (£8 for 24 hours). The hotel is very secure. After 11pm your key card opens the front door. 24/7 there is another key card door inside the hotel. Also, the breakfast was quite good although there was a considerable wait on both mornings for most of the selection to be replenished. In the room itself the air conditioning was sub-standard - not really any point, ours certainly didn't really work properly but the windows are very small for opening so maybe that's why it's there - a tiny point really!
This certainly isn't the best hotel I've stayed in but it is far from the worst! For the amount we paid and the amount of time we stayed in the room we really can't complain. I would stay here again but I would look for other alternatives in Glasgow before booking!

Room Tip: We had a room on the end of the corridor which turned out to be very quiet!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

For the amount of money I paid, I expected more. To begin with, the people at reception were not helpful or friendly. In fact I found them very cold and rude! When I stayed the second night before coming home, the room I got had a broken lamp, which was bad because the light in the room was so low to begin with. One of the windows was broken, and once breakfast was over, if you wanted coffee, etc, you had to pay for it.

Also, in comparison to the Holiday Inn Express I stayed at in Collingwood, Ont., this one was really cheap. You couldn't get Wifi in your room, unless you paid for it! Wifi was free, but only in the lounge, which isn't very convenient at all.

I won't return, and I wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

As a frequent traveller I have stayed in many hotels including holiday inn and holiday in express but I have to say this was one of the least enjoyable.. We come to glasgow every year and chose this one to stay for 2 nights this year for our girlie weekend away - mainly for the location which was great by the way.

The rooms were dark and dingy, decor was dated, with poor lighting, only 1 plug socket which was under the counter by the window. Our hair-dryer & straighteners would not reach to the only mirror (apart from bathroom) which was on the other side of the room so as girls tying to get ready for a night out was a total nightmare.. We ended up going shopping for an extension lead!!!

My bed was awful..hard, uncomfortable, right under the heating/air con unit which blows on you all night or turn it off and freeze with no spare blankets. The duvet wasn't big enough to the whole bed and all the buttons missing from the cover so the duvet was halfway out of its cover by the morning so basically didn't sleep well at all!!

Breakfast time was also a nightmare... It was like feeding time at the zoo! People everywhere, electrics tripping out so tea/coffee machine and toasters stop working and when the toaster did work It came out anaemic or like stale bread so you'd put it through again and it would burn!! I gave up after 3 burnt slices! Ran out of sausages, eggs and beans so the queues were about 15mins long waiting for more to cook, it was like standing in Line for school dinners and when u had finally got your breakfast there'd be no where to sit so you'd have to wait for a table all while it's going cold...

Oh and they also charged us again just for calling for a quote for another room!!

On the plus side the location was great and the staff were really helpful and friendly...It's just a shame they have to work in a poor hotel :-(

• Stayed October 2012
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

Overall we'd recommend this hotel: we had a few issues but they didn't spoil our stay. The breakfasts are wonderful and mostly the staff are warm and friendly.

We arrived at the hotel early evening after a drive up from the Fylde coast and a fair bit of wandering the wet streets of rainy (but still beautiful) Glasgow.

I made a mistake asking for a full day's car parking ticket and when I asked for just an overnight one, the attendant on duty made it clear that she wasn't very happy about it...I admit my mistake but it had been a long and dreich day...!

Then there was some confusion over our reservations as I had expected both rooms to be booked under my name but one was under my mum's...so we were waiting about 10 minutes before this was resolved. My mistake again I suppose...when the manager (Chris) asked her if everything was okay, she responded "I'll tell you later"...I can't say I felt particularly welcome.

In the morning the staff were chirpy and greeted us warmly; breakfast was marvellous...we headed out to wet Glasgow once again. I was a bit perturbed to see the same attendant on duty when we returned, but she was much more friendly than she had been on the previous night, though I didn't make any mistakes this time. Perhaps Wednesday had just been a bad day.

Chris was particularly helpful and friendly even after being on duty all night. Thumbs up!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in October 2012 in room 541. In quite a good position beside the river and St Enoch shopping Centre. Less than 10 minutes walk from Glasgow Central Station. The room had twin beds, was comfortable and we had a view of the river. Rooms on floors 4 and 5 face the road but this did not bother us. The staff were very friendly and obliging at reception. Breakfast was excellent value with sausage, beans and scrambled egg. Also cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, croissants, toast, crusty rolls and cheese. Mini muffins also available - chocolate and blueberry.. Fruit juice, and teas and coffee to drink. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Floors 4 and 5 do not have rear facing rooms and have less rooms per floor
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

The layout, furniture & fittings in our room were identical to the other Holiday Inn Express's we stayed in in Scotland. The hotel doesn't have it's own parking lot but there was pay parking available at an open lot nearby (you can put the parking voucher on your room bill). Watch out for the one-way roads or you'll end up going in circles like we did! No wifi in the rooms but it's available in the lobby and the signal also reaches to the breakfast area where you can sit at any time of the day. We appreciated the free wifi - most places we stayed charged for it. The buffet breakfast is reasonably good for an HIX.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple