“Hearty Scottish Food at it's very best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #8 of 2,388 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Hearty Scottish Food at it's very best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Based on TripAdvisor reviews, I booked a table for Sunday lunch and I was not disappointed. Claire gave us a very warm welcome, happy to explain the more Scottish elements of the menu. We ended up with chicken stuffed with haggis, wrapped in pancetta (can't remember the proper name for it!) and it was absolutely delicious AND absolutely huge! Having already indulged in tasty starters we sadly had no room for pudding which was a shame since they looked great! The surroundings were cosy and Claire was full of great stories about the area and local tips on what to see and where to go.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Claire L, Owner at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
thank you so much for your great review , we are glad you enjoyed you food , I think Claires next career move will be a travel guide for Glasgow

Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Real Touch of Haim”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I was returning home for a vacation from California, where I now live, and was looking to take my family to a nice restaurant and a night to remember, preferrably witth some good old fashioned Scottish food.
I chose the Black Sheep Bistro based upon all of the good reviews that i had read and the fact that it was the only restaurant I could find that stuck solely to a Scottish menu. I made a reservation for 5 people for a Friday and when I got there we were warmly greeted by Claire who continued throughout the evening to be a very attentive and charming waitress.
The service and the food were both excellent and although not a "fine dining" experience, I would much rather eat here where you are met with a genuine welcome and where you get the feeling it matters that you enjoy your evening, rather than the pretentiousness of more larger "upscale" restaurants where you sometimes get the feeling of being nothing more than a cash commodity.
I spoke with Angel before leaving and I gained the impression that she cares not only about her business, but more that her customers have an enjoyable experience.
So thanks to Angel and Claire for a memorable night and Angel, tell Johnny Broon I envy his frequent trips to the restaurant.

1 Thank Gus A
thank you so much for your fab review , we are happy you enjoyed some good glesga grub on your visit and mr brown is a lucky man
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I don't normally do reviews but was so impressed with the service and quality of the food at the Black Sheep I have taken the time to add this review. We were a party of 14 including 2 kids, I had Cullen Skink for starter and was served with two big slices of bread and butter, fab nice big bits of smoked haddock, then I had fish and chips with home made tartar sauce, like all the other reviews was so full could not manage a dessert, but next time I will take my children and we will share one. The 2 children had half portions of maccaroni cheese and chips on the side. We had loads of fresh veg cooked to perfection. Claire the owner was really down to earth and nothing was too much, even leaving out the turnip from the Haggis, Neeps (turnip) and Tatties for my friend who wanted to try the Haggis but did not like turnip. Nice selection of wines and reasonably priced. Will certainly be back this side of the year and have already handed out Black Sheep buisness cards to my work collegues who like to try new restaurants. Keep up the good work and don't be tempted to change something that is obviousley working well.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi , thank you so much for taking the time to do such a lovely review , we are happy that your big party enjoyed your food and hope to see you all again sometime
London
“Jewel in Glasgow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

You can catch the metro here, if you don't fancy taking a cab. Probably best for breakfast and lunch. Lovingly decorated...just like walking into someones house. Great menu with Claire (the daughter) serving you and Mum cooking with Dad helping out. To start I had the haggis, neeps and tatties, if you are a haggis first timer try in here! My partner had the cullen skink...amazing. For mains we tried the luxury fish pie and I actually had another starter for a main as was quite full after the haggis. The menu is really diverse, and the cooking very fresh, with two roast meats on offer, if a Sunday and you fancy a roast. They serve all the wines on the list by the glass, so a great selection if you don't want to get a bottle. I'd go back to Black Sheep Bistro, Claire was great giving us lots of local tips on what to see and where to go. Next time I'd probably go for the roast lamb....umm yummy!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi , thank you for your lovely review , we are so glad you enjoyed your haggis and cullen skink and Claires tourist tips , hope you visit the next time you are in glasgow
scotland
“A little Scottish gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is fairly traditional Scottish food your Granny might have made - with a twist !
Small, friendly, airy place but cosy at the same time. It has various Scottish phrases, quips on the walls - nice touch.
Service very good, staff recommendations on the nail.
Starters varied, cannot remember them all, cullen skink, goats cheese, salmon, scallops/black pudding etc etc : all good.
Typical mains selection might include, stovies, fish n chips, mince/tatties, burger, beef olives [ fabby], lamb shank, macaroni/cheese, pork dish, & others Iv forgotten.
Deserts again varied & very good - try the puff candy one !!
Wine starts £10.50/bottle house
I was there with 10 friends - not one complaint !
I am glad I looked at the menu on the internet before my visit or I might have been a little taken aback - simply because I would not have expected what may be considered to be relatively "plain Scottish fare". But its more than that.
You wont be disappointed with this place, its all cooked to perfection by the owner - this place deserves your support as it is a little gem in a city with a multitude of restaurants to satisfy every demand.
This one has managed to fill a gap, its in a little niche & shows Scottish cooking at its best.
Would I revisit - YES
Would I recommend to others - YES

2 Thank ges000
angel1265, Owner at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Hi , thanks for the time you took to write the Black Sheep such a great review , glad you all enjoyed your evening and hope you will return ,