“Fantastic!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Came across this restaurant by pure chance on tripadvisor and what a great find!
Wasnt sure about writing a review as I think it will get difficult to obtain booking as it gets more well known from recommendations.

We were there today for Sunday lunch with family and I'm still stuffed and it's after 9pm. Would have loved to have had three courses but wanted to make sure i had room for dessert.

My husband had the black pudding starter which he said was great and we all then had the Roast Beef Sunday Lunch and it was absolutely lovely - what a plateful but we all managed to clear our plates as it was just so tasty.

I then ordered the puff candy and ice-cream mountain and my uncle had a small portion of the gooey chocolate pudding and he hardly said a word while eating it. My husband and I shared my dessert and it was so good!

The service was great and we were made to feel so welcome by all the staff.

When we found out that they were open on Christmas Day we immediately booked even though we didn't even ask the price - yes, it's that good!!!!

Made another booking later this month to take our friends who also like good food, good atmosphere and great service and made it for a Saturday night.

Thank you Black Sheep, you deserve to be No 1

DavieGGlasgow, Owner at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Hi , thank you so much for your fantastic review , it was lovely to meet you all and getting such great feedback from you all really boosted our energy levels after such a busy week and it is great you have made another couple of bookings and christmas day sorted already lol had me thinking about the menu yesterday and it is only March , look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,335)

Reviewed 4 March 2012

My partner and I chose to have dinner here after seeing that it held the top Glaswegian restaurant spot on Tripadvisor. The menu boasted a wide selection of good 'ol British comfort food. We had the cullen skink soup to start. We were warned by the waitress that it would be filling and were given the choice between starter and main size portions. Even with a small bowl of soup, it was way too filling for a starter, even for us who have huge appetites. I think the chef should rethink the amount of cream that goes into it and/or the portion sizes. I am not criticizing their generosity. It just is a shame when customers are left too full to enjoy their main courses and have to leave them half-eaten.

For mains, I had the steak pie and my partner had the mushroom stroganoff. He said there was nothing special about it, being a simple dish that his mum could have whipped up at home. I was disappointed by my steak 'pie'. I was given a plate full of thick dark brown gravy strewn with chunks of beef and a tiny square of puff pastry sitting neatly at the top of the mess. What happened to the idea of a pie being a filling encased in pastry? And as I was getting through my meal, the gravy started congealing and becoming gloopy, a sure sign of shortcut Bisto granule gravy.

On the plus side, the portions are large and there are good helpings of well cooked vegetables to accompany the main meals.

My partner had the pecan banoffee pie to go. We were quite shocked to see that their take on pecan pie was to throw a few pecans on the top of the whipped cream icing on the slice. The banoffee bit was fine.

All in all, I honestly do not think this place deserves top spot on Tripadvisor. It is nothing special, and in my opinion, overpriced, what with the shortcuts they take on the food. And who can blame them with such a large, overambitious menu for such a small kitchen. And to top off your dining experience, you have to endure the cloying decor and terrible music. The same kind of food can be found elsewhere for the same price, only prepared to a better standard and quality. We will not be returning.

6  Thank Natasha C
DavieGGlasgow, Manager at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

thank you for your visit , we are realistic people and we know we can not please all of the people all of the time and this certainly seems to be the case here , food , decor , music , prices and service did not seem to hit the mark for you , and no we do not use bisto and the pecan banoffi also has pecan nuts ground in with the biscuit base as well as on top of the cream , but reviews like yours are helpful to others so they can see a different point of view , as for the title "Overhyped" we think a little unfair as we do not promote or make any grand claims of our little place , the reviews here on Tripadvisor should be respected for the opinions of customers who do like the Black Sheep

Reviewed 3 March 2012

i took my family & friends for my retirement party the foot was first class service second to none staff could not do enough for us we will definitely be back regards eileen mc intosh.

1  Thank eileen m
DavieGGlasgow, Manager at Black Sheep Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2012

thank you so much for your great review , we are glad you and party enjoyed your celebration at the Black sheep and I am so lucky with Claire and Jack enjoying their work so much it really helps give good service , we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 3 March 2012

This was our first visit and certainly won't be our last. We were welcomed by Claire who had reserved us a lovely table by the window which was laid out so nicely with candles and glasses of ice cool water. The menu is certainly NOT pub grub like was stated in a persons review. My husband wanted a steak, which is not served on a Thursday night, but, when I was booking the table the owner said she would prepare one for him which he thourghly enjoyed. The restaurant is delightfully decorated with knicks and knacks. The only thing that looked out of place was the cold light emitting from the chilled drinks cabinet which didn't lend itself to the cosy atmosphere. I was glad I wasn't sitting beside it as it would have spoiled an otherwise perfect evening.

1  Thank Janet M

thank you so much for your fantastic review and I was happy to cook steak for your husband , when you come again just let me know and I will get him steak ,we like our customers to feel able to make special requests and sorry you found the wine cabinet light distracting , we have done our best by covering the clear glass with opaque covering but there are tables you can have where you dont see the cabinet again let us know when you are booking , hope to see you again soon and sorry I did not get a chance to say hello as we were so busy

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Visited on a quiet Sunday late afternoon. First impressions were good. We were given a friendly welcome and our table was prepared with iced water waiting for us.

The menu arrived with some items listed shown to be unavailable. The Black Sheep Bistro's website provides a sample menu and explains that items listed are subject to change. Having noticed that they had steak available at the weekend, I was disappointed that it wasn't on the menu. My disappointment didn't last long as the food I had was very good.

I really enjoyed what I managed of the three courses that I had - scallops with black pudding and parma ham, steak pie and banoffee pie.

I challenge anyone to be able to finish three courses.

I loved the relaxed feel of the place. Service was great and the staff were extremely friendly. I will definitely return but I think I will stick to just two courses next time!

1  Thank Karen P

Hi thank you very much for your lovely review , when booking I am happy to take requests for dishes to be on menu t so just let us know and I will do my best and I know its difficult to manage three courses but we are happy to serve smaller portions when we can , a lot of people choose to have a wee half dessert and that is no problem , hope to see you again soon