“Mouthwatering”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Reviewed 29 November 2013

What a great restaurant. We went on a Thursday night and the restaurant was full. Staff were very welcoming. Music just right for background music. The menu oh too much too choose from as we wanted a bit of everything. We had cullen skink and ham and lentil soup with a large thick slice of beautiful soft bread. Both soups were piping hot and so tasty. We had balmoral chicken and chicken roulade to follow. Very big chicken breast and the sauces with both dishes tickled our taste buds both deliciously rich. We were stuffed but when the waitress asked if we wanted a sweet and offered us a choice of 3 or 7 mini sweets we gave in and went for the three mini sweets which were absolutely brilliant. All the ingredients in every dish was of very high quality, served piping hot and eloquently presented. Desperate to go back. For the quality of food the prices are excellent. We will return.

1  Thank lesleyforest
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My friend introduced me to the Black Sheep Bistro and I am so glad she did. Not only was the food amazing, the portions were huge!. I loved the atmosphere, the decor and the little trinkets dotted around(which you can buy).
My friends and I shared the 3 mini desserts............. well - if they were the "minis", their normal sized desserts must be massive - see photo!

2  Thank Kathrine M
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I went to the black sheep bistro last night (22nd nov) we had 3 courses (although we probably only needed one) everything was just morish!

to start I had the scallops, very good value for money, a whole 6 of the little perfectly cooked things that melted in my mouth, delicious!

I had haddock in parma ham for main and my other half had chicken stuffed with haggis! both were amazing, staff were great, bubbly relaxed and helpful! made my night to see staff seeming to enjoy job!

pudding was amazing too... everything was big size portion but not lacking in quality, great food, great prices, highly recommend, shall be back for sure! thank you!"

1  Thank Iona M
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Can't fault this place, well apart from the portion sizes which are huge, but is that a fault?
Very friendly service and a lovely atmosphere to enjoy delicious traditional Scottish cooking. A hidden gem in a city that lacks culinary surprises.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Having heard nothing but good things about the Black Sheep Bistro, we decided to go there for a family meal to celebrate my birthday. What a great decision! It lived up to all expectations. The dining area is quite small but has a very pleasant, laid back atmosphere. The service was good and the waitress very friendly and helpful. The food was simply amazing. Everything on the menu sounded lovely and after a very tasty haggis bhaji starter I eventually went for the lamb shoulder in a balsamic and honey glaze for my main... it was absolutely delicious! Others at the table went for the Balmoral Chicken, steak pie and haddock dishes, all of which by the way looked great as well. The portions were very generous but everyone cleared their plate. We opted for the platter of mini desserts (7 mini sized puddings) to share between the 4 of us for dessert and they were the most beautiful looking and tasting desserts I've ever had in any restaurant. A must try in my opinion if you visit as a group. A great ending to a wonderful meal. The bill was very reasonable with all 4 of us leaving stuffed and very happy as well as having enjoyed 2 bottles of white wine between us. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who hasn't yet visited. I will definitely be going back in the near future!

1  Thank Liam M