“Food very nice but short changed with wine”
Review of Black Sheep Bistro

Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #16 of 2,427 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Normal food, good portions and fair prices. Owned and staffed by a family.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Food very nice but short changed with wine”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Mum and I decided on a wee trip to blacksheep bisto. We are working down the top places in glasgow and Edinburgh and this was next on our hit list.

I had a mushroom risotto with salad and mum had beef olive for mains. I thought the food was homely and nicely presented.

We share 3 puddings for desert. We both thought the meringue and puff candy ice cream was sublime. We also enjoyed the lemon tarte. We weren't struck on the malteaser and chocolate sponge. We felt it was a bit dry.

The wine was really where I feel a wee bit let down. Since when is 175 mls a large glass? ? I thought there had been a mistake with our wine but was told that because some people may drink drive the 250ml measure would be dropped across Scotland. What a shame for the rest of us. . . The pinot noir was an ok table wine but feel that 5.40 for 175mls didn't give value for money. Not to sound picky but I don't think my first glass even made the 175 ml mark. . .

In summary the food but there are so many places in glasgow to choose from. Not sure I'll be rushing back.

3 Thank caroline b

Glasgow, Scotland.
“Ewe will love it”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Close to St. Georges Cross underground station, the Black Sheep is a small, friendly, unstuffy type of place. As noted elsewhere it's best to book in advance. We managed a lunchtime slot and tried the steak pie, haggis and beef olives.

Service was pitched just right even when the place filled up, and the food was delicious. My mum thought it one of the best steak pies she had tasted. My beef olive was melt in the mouth stuff (only one beef olive with the smaller £8 dish, but a larger portion available). Dad loved his haggis with whisky sauce and the mash and neeps we all had were superb.

Good selection of beer/ale for £5 a pint. Three mini sweets were enough for two and great fun to share. A real treat.

A memorable lunch in nice surroundings at a reasonable price with mains around £10. Good quality food is hard to forget.

1 Thank prvnipivni
“The best in Glasgow. Do not miss this one.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic meal In the Black Sheep Bistro. The food is fresh and fantastic. No wonder you have to book well in advance. A Sunday evening and it was very busy, but you can see why. This is indeed a hidden gem, but well worth seeking out.

The service was also first class, but not overly intrusive.

Well sized portions and not over priced. It's not "Fancy Dan" food, just top quality and delicious . I can't praise it highly enough.

Make sure you book in advance, as it is well worth it. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, a word of warning, leave room for the sweets. You won't believe the size of the portions ! Best Cheese board ever.

Visited May 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Went to Black Sheep Bistro for the first time last week and I loved everything about it! Great little restaurant that serves quality food. Make sure you don't eat for a few days before you go though as the portions are big!

1 Thank AllyH10
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ExcellentBistro”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Ate at the Black Sheep Bistro for the first time last night and it will not be the last. The food was outstanding and the service excellent. It is only a small place but that is what I liked about it - it was nice and quiet and you could here what the rest of the people at your table were saying. Definately somewhere to try.

1 Thank Linda M