“Good hotel friendly staff”
Review of Glasgow Pond Hotel

Glasgow Pond Hotel
Ranked #54 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over a weekend. We were at a wedding there on the Saturday, the food and service were excellent and the wedding was very professional ( I would definitely recommend this venue to any one thinking of getting married) The staff could not be more helpful. The room that we were in had a kingsize bed and was fresh and clean. The hotel itself is well placed for excursions to the sights of Glasgow, whether it be shopping or visiting the sights. We dined in the brasserie and were well impressed with the food.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an upgrade( only £20 when we stayed) includes bottle of wine chocolates, special s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I was invited to stay at The Pond Hotel and celebrate a wedding at the hotel. I arrived at 12 noon and was able to check into room straight away. This was welcomed as it gave us plenty of time to change for 2pm wedding. The rooms are a little small, but nicely furnised and clean. The matress was thin and comfort was average. The bathroom was compact with tremdous water pressure. I order room service which arrived promptly. The food we ordered was fresh and hot. The wedding was very well organised. The three coarse meal that was served to well over a hundred guest was nicely presented and piping hot. The self service breakfast was plentiful. Everything on the breakfast buffet was of good standard, except the sausages. The overall experience at The Pond Hotel was very enjoyable. There is M+S simply food store in the garage adjacent to the hotel which was very convenient.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Had booked a one night stay when passing through Glasgow, room basic but clean and tidy. Facilities in the lobby area were good and busy. Both bar facilities and Breakfast were good with friendly staff.
Only negative is the rooms are ajoining (I guess for families) so there is a sliding door between rooms, the lady in our neighbouring room insisted in making very long and loud telephone calls, even with the TV turned up we could still hear her.
Not all people using the hotel need this ajoining facility, so if not part of a family or group booking why not offer rooms without ajoining (there were a few according to fire escape chart) facility.

Room Tip: Try and get a room without an ajoining (sliding door) if you want a good nights sleep. Try and get a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My family and I stayed here for one night in a family room. The room was ok, quite small as there were bunk beds as well as a double bed. The room was clean, but the nights sleep was terrible! Paper thin walls, screaming baby next door, squeaky bunk beds and a really warm room! Breakfast was plentiful but quality was poor. Been there done that never again!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank linzr39
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We have stayed in The Pond Hotel several times and would highly recommend it to friends and colleagues.

It's fantastic value for money and the rooms that we had were exactly as shown in the pics on the website. Beds were very comfortable and room immaculately clean throughout. Great value compared to some city centre hotels.

The last time we were there it was for a special occasion and we had chocolates and a beautiful fruit platter awaiting us in our room on arrival. Very thoughtful.

We have also eaten in the restaurant many times and the food is always delicious (the portions are extremely generous), and the staff very pleasant and attentive.

I can't fault the hotel and am very much looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I've stayed here on many occasions and will continue to do so. Staff all very friendly and nothing was a problem.

Rooms clean and comfortable and we had adjoining rooms with our friends which was ideal to get us started for our night out. I believe these were the rooms Jamie Oliver stayed in so if they're good enough for Jamie.....

The free parking in car park was ideal when staying as a guest too and only a short taxi ride to local shops, bars and restaurants.

Overall a most enjoyable stay had by us all.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank roxylmb
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Researched this hotel online and thought it seemed really nice and modern from the pictures. However from the minute we arrived there it was problem after problem. Got checked in ok and no problems there and the staff member was very friendly.

It was meant to be a small break to take my Mother away for the week, We stayed here at the beginning of January. We went to the hotel restaurant that evening and had dinner there, the food didn’t appear to be very nice, and the staff where not at all friendly. The female member of staff took my order and delivered it but didn’t call back to check if we needed refills or if the food was ok which it wasn’t, for a fine dining restaurant I would have expected better. The staff where to busy standing behind the counter gossiping amongst themselves and were not interested looking after the customers.

The following day when my Mother was leaving the Hotel bedroom to go for breakfast when the handle fell off the inside of the door leaving her in great distress as she was unable to leave the room until I got to the room. I contacted reception who sent a maintenance person round to fix this. We then managed to get down for breakfast which I wasn’t very impressed with, The fry was very greasy and half cooked and to make matters worse you could have smashed a window with the croissants they where that hard! There were no yogurts and the fruit wasn’t fresh what so ever. It was a complete disaster. Later that night when I was trying to get to sleep I found the room very warm, as there was no air conditioning in the room I decided to ring reception for a fan. The gent that I spoke to on the phone stated that he would have a fan dropped up to the room but this never happened after waiting. Then at approximately 1a.m. in the morning a car pulled up outside the front of the hotel where my room was also, the car had it’s windows down and the music up full blast in the car and started raving the engine loudly.

On the next morning breakfast appeared to be much better and the food was eatable but on Thursday it was back to being terrible. I was woken up by maintenance that was being carried out in the hotel a few door down on my floor which I found very unprofessional. I could hear a lot of banging noises and they had a radio on. I should not have been assigned a bedroom on the same floor as there was maintenance was being carried out, there was no signs to say this would be happening. When you stay in a Hotel you don’t expect to be woken by maintenance being carried out by the room indoors early in the morning!

On the last night when I realised that I would be leaving too early for breakfast I spoke with the girl at reception and asked if there was anything that could be done, the lady explained that I would be able to avail of the continental breakfast by room service and explained to complete the card at the back of my door and leave it out for the night porter. I did this and listed what I wanted and left it outside my door as requested. In the morning the card was gone and I didn’t receive my breakfast which was very disappointing. The Porter tried to say that he never got it. I was in a rush at this stage and needed to leave the Hotel in a hurry to catch my flight and didn’t have time to speak to a manager at this time and didn’t get any breakfast.

It had been one thing after another with this hotel. I am completely disgusted with the way both my Mother and I have been treated. We booked this hotel as a break away for my Mother and it was through a third party website having researched your hotel on the internet. The gallery on your website no way gives a good detail of your hotel at all. Although the reception and bar area are modern and up to date your rooms lack same, and are not very clean or modern. The walls in our room were in desperate need of paint and the roof of the toilet room is a disgrace as the paint is failing off. I wish to say that I have stayed in a lot of Hotels over the years and this is by far one of my worst experiences I have encountered. I am not one to complain but I believe as there were so many issues that it needed to be brought to everyone’s attention. I will not be returning to this hotel under any circumstances and feel that I have been treated.

About a week after I stayed here I contacted the Hotel about all of the above, all I've got is 'the manager will ring you back' but never does!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel! Nightmare!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family