“Very good, but”

Ranked #56 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Durham
“Very good, but”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed on a 2 night weekend break, not my first stay. The staff are spot on, rooms first class and in the main its a very good hotel.

The only thing I found disappointing was the food, quality, quantity and price did not match at dinner. Breakfast was fine and the bar menu seemed good but dinner I found disappointing but that may just be me.

Will I stay again, yes but will have dinner in town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 55MINUTESMILE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My mum, daughter and I were staying two nights at the Pond as we were visiting my son in Glasgow. The triple room was fairly small but clean and tidy. The bathroom was also fairly small but again, was very clean.

We were warned by the receptionist when we arrived that there was a function on both nights we were staying. There was some music audible in the room, but we were at the other end of the hotel so didn't really affect us.

The hotel is in a good position for the West End of Glasgow and fairly straight forward for driving in to the city centre. There are also plenty of buses to catch on Great Western Road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the function suite if you don't want to be disturbed by any functions t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Kyle of Lochalsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Great stay at this very friendly hotel. Family room rather cramped for 2 adults and 2 teenagers but well appointed. Lovely large bath with power shower. Buffet breakfast was fab. Free fast wifi. Free parking. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel ticks all the boxes for someone looking to have a night out in the West End of Glasgow. Affordable, spacious, free parking, 24 hour bar and close to Ashton Lane and Byres Road.

If travelling by train get off at Hyndland its a five minute walk to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We decided to choose this hotel because we discovered it is one of the few that still has smoking allowed rooms. What a relaxing experience to be able to chill in our room & not have to go outside when we wanted to smoke! The reception staff were very friendly & helpful, faultless in fact. We were happy with our room & the hotel facilities. The wifi died on the Saturday night but the hotel was fully booked for a wedding (we were warned about this at check in, thanks, appreciate the 'heads up' on that) so that was not really surprising. My only complaint was at breakfast on the Saturday morning. The man who checked off the room numbers was abrupt & impatient demanding our room number & name, repeating himself when I did not respond quickly enough. I was suffering from a dental infection along my jaw which caused me pain when I spoke and I found his attitude unwelcome. This was the only blight on our visit however. There is a large car park attached to the hotel (free & no need to reserve) which was an added bonus.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank May069
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here for one night as part of a business trip. I was told that the hotel wasn't really up to much, but when I arrived I was extremely impressed. I believe there has been an upgrade done recently.
The room itself was quite small so I'm not sure how I would feel if there were two of us in it. However, the bed was massive! I was lying on one side and there easily could've been another 3 people in the bed with me! Nice firm, but comfortable, matress and pillows.
I didn't try the restaurant but both it and the bar looked lovely.
Reception staff were also very nice, and check-in & check-out was very quick and easy

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nikitaxx10410
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I chose this hotel because is just next to the Beatson Cancer Centre (5 minutes walk). The area is nothing special, quite industrial, not good if you need to see fields from your window...but is great if you are traveling for job or if you need to stay near the hospital.
It's 20 minutes from the Glasgow airport (20 pounds taxi ride).
The hotel is not really the nicer I have ever seen but the room was very good, with a big bed, bath in the bathroom, hair dryer and free Wi-Fi. The breakfast was not included and they charge 7.5 pounds but was really tasty and with enough choices.
I will definitively go there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business