Argyll Hotel
Hotels.com
US$203
US$170
  • Pool
Novotel Glasgow Centre(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$76
US$96
US$87
US$95
US$91
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$87
Travelocity
US$94
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
All reviewstartan themekelvingrove museumcity centrestreet parkingthe main hotelglasgow universitywest endfour poster bedguest housesingle roomclean bathroomfamily roomsauchiehall streetbreakfast was excellentscottish breakfastbreakfast staffbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights, so encountered a number of different staff and they were all very friendly and helpful. They really helped to make our stay enjoyable. However the fabric of the hotel was poor. The room we were in was of an adequate size, or at least would have been if it wasn't filled with unnecessary furniture (2 bulky dining chairs??). The common areas, particularly the stairways had badly worn carpets which let the rest of the decor down. The whole hotel would probably benefit from a decorative overhaul, but then the price would have to go up!

We expected car parking to be an issue but the staff sell long term parking tickets for on street parking outside the hotel. At £4 for the whole day this is a bargain.

Sound insulation between the rooms isn't good. On the second night someone in the next room had a cough, which seriously impacted on our nights sleep!

All in all it was a more hassle free stay than we expected, but please, the decor could do with some attention.

Room Tip: We were told the rooms in the guest house part of the hotel (across the road) were better, so maybe request one of these.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DuncSnap
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was our second visit. Our first time was at the end of September, just myself and my wife. This time it was the three of us (myself, wife and son) for my birthday weekend. We decided to come back because it's very reasonably priced (nicely under £200 for the three of us for 2 nights, with breakfast included in this case), is in a nice area of the West End and has a lovely little pub/restaurant on the ground floor called Sutherlands.

The first time we visited, we were allocated the 'wrong' room. We had asked for the honeymoon suite with the four-poster bed (as I said above, it was just the two of us so it was a 'romantic weekend') but when we entered our room it was fairly small and there was no four-poster bed. We called reception and the lady came up and offered us another room; bigger and with a four-poster bed. The reason I bring this up is that again we had a slight issue when entering our room this time. My wife had kindly ordered some wine and chocolates to be in the room on arrival, with it being my birthday weekend. When we entered, there were indeed wine and chocolates but the wine (Rosé) was in a bucket with no ice. It had been sitting in the room for a while too so was warm. We called reception and the lady (same one as the first time we visited) brought us another bucket, this time with ice in.

This is pretty much my only issue with the hotel; on both occasions we have visited, we have had to phone reception to tend to a problem on arrival. Relatively minor problems, yes, but still. We also feel there is a slight lack of warmth from those tending the front desk while checking in and out. The process itself is simple and fast, but I prefer a friendlier and more relaxed demeanour from check-in/reception staff than what we have encountered on both our visits here. Perhaps I'm nitpicking. Another thing that is perhaps nitpicky is I feel the price of wine and chocolates (£25 in this case) in the room is a tad high. I'm fairly confident you could get the same for £10 or so if you bought them yourself. Then again; part of the charge is for staff putting them in your room, so I can't complain too much.

The rooms are always nice and clean with a traditional Scottish feel to them. There are some signs of wear and tear in some areas (like the bathroom blind in this case), but nothing to be concerned about. Beds are comfortable, bathroom is spacious and more than adequate. The windows open nice and wide which would be extremely useful on hot summer nights, I'd imagine. On both our visits, we have been at the front of the building; it can be fun to hear the activity outside. My wife claims she heard some angry obscenities being exchanged from some revellers (it's quite a busy street and there is also a pub next door) in the early hours of Sunday morning but I was in the land of nod, blissfully oblivious. Anyway; if you close your windows, you can barely hear a thing from outside.

Breakfast is delicous and the service is impeccable. There is a wide variety of choices available (full Scottish, cereal, poached and boiled eggs on request) and your tea and coffee cups and regularly filled by the excellent staff.

Sutherlands, the pub/restaurant on the ground floor (breakfast is also served in there) is fantastic but both times we have been, it has been close to empty. We find this difficult to understand because it is a lovely little pub that is very reasonably priced and serves very good drinks and food. Maybe guests opt to go elsewhere because of the unlimited choice offered by Glasgow, or maybe they are unaware of the little gem that is under their noses. Either way, I hope more people get themselves in there.

This was another pleasant stay for us, and I'm sure we'll be back for the third time in the not-too-distant future. What prevented me giving it 5 out of 5 is the issues we have had on both visits on arrival and in comparison to a lot of other hotels we have stayed at, perhaps a slight lack of warmth and friendliness on reception. Other than that, I highly recommend it. I don't think you could find much better for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a nice view of Sauciehall Street. It's quite busy though, so close your windows if you want to keep things nice and quiet. Check-out is 11am but on arrival requested 12pm on the Sunday and were kindly given it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Good Clean Hotel. Reception welcoming Room Clean, Comfy Bed, Good Wifi.
There was a small leak in the Bathroom which could not off been helped.

I have stayed Regularly and would have to say that its miles ahead off the Devoncove and Smiths Hotel on the same Block on Suachiehall Street.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nabotraveeler
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Decent enough place and an absolute bargain for the price. Room was a decent size, four poster bed (thin mattress and not too comfy), free wi-fi and a decent breakfast. What's not to like? Major disappointment was no haggis with the breakfast, the only hotel I've ever stayed in in Scotland that doesn't do haggis lol.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank IanBrutus
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was a very last minute one night stay booked on "lastminute.com" @ 11pm the night before travel £50 B&B - we have no regrets ! Arrived early and were met by very helpful reception staff when enquiring about parking (as small car park full) were offered on street parking vouchers £2 for 24 hours to purchase which we did and parked right outside hotel front door for duration of our stay removing much stress ! The large room (306) was very well appointed and very clean with beautiful French Rococo style furniture and crisp white bed linen with teal accents.Large Wet room was again very clean and shower had huge twin rainfall shower heads making it feel very luxurious. We walked into city centre straight walk in Sauchiehall Street took approx. 15minutes, but also used underground nearest station Kelvinhall probably about 10min walk if that back to Hotel. Breakfast was excellent welcomed by lovely polite staff and shown to table breakfast is self service but very varied choice with Juice's, Cereal's ,Fresh fruit , Yoghurt and full selection of cooked breakfast products also board offering certain items cooked to order.Staff were attentive offering tea and coffee at regular intervals.Husband also commented on fact that wall mounted large LCD TV had absolutely no wires on view just a small thing but show's care had been taken.Have already recommended to friends and family and will always check availability here first before booking for next trip to Glasgow look forward to visiting again. Excellent Location for visiting Kelvingrove Museum & Park , University , Charles Rennie Mackintosh house and Huntertarian Museum also.

Room Tip: Would certainly recommend Room 306
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple