“Loved the Argyll Hotel”
Review of Argyll Hotel

Argyll Hotel
Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I just returned to the US after spending seven days in Glasgow. The Argyll Hotel was my home for the entire visit. I arrived VERY early in the morning, and the staff was more than willing to store my luggage until check-in time, and in fact they said they would have my room ready early since they knew I'd been flying all night and might want to take a nap. The hotel is located on Sauchiehall Street, and is quaint, lovely and thoroughly Scottish. Each room features a different Scottish tartan. My room was decorated with the Scottish National tartan (lots of green and red). As a woman travelling alone, my safety and security were a concern, but I never once felt a concern at The Argyll. There was always staff manning the reception desk, and my room had good locks. My room was on the second floor, facing Sauchiehall St. It's a busy street, but I didn't notice any extra irritation caused by busses or cars going up and down the street. The Argyll offers a FULL breakfast every morning - eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, cereal, fruit, juices and more!! Linda, the waitress who was on duty every day I was there, was so nice, friendly and helpful. She made it her duty to make sure all of my needs were met, and my stomach was full went I left each day for sightseeing. I met wonderful Glaswegians at The Snaffle Bit, next door. They immediately welcomed me. Their haggis and cheese panini was delicious. I would NOT hesitate to recommend the Argyll Hotel to anyone going to Glasgow. It's a very short walk to the Kelvingrove Museum, the University of Glasgow, the Hunterian Museum, and the Botanical Gardens. And the Glasgow City Bus tour stops just a few steps from The Argyll. The bus tour is cheap and an EXCELLENT way to get an overview of Glasgow in a 1 hr. 45 min. narrated tour.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Shannon L

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Thanks again guys for a lovely stay, 2 nights in a really nice room. Tasty breakfast. Have stayed several times before and will definitely be back. Only one point, the lane to the car park needs some! Attention. We clattered the front of our car in a very deep puddle!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BedandBreakfast90
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a nice hotel however I think we were given the smallest room in the place, you could not swing a cat talk about compact & bijou, although it was small in was very clean and did the job. Breakfast was good

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

All the facilities are nice and adequate, with a genuine Scottish touch and a simplicity which is haunting. I've been before, and such is the friendliness of the staff that each time I return I feel like if its home away from home.
In terms of location, it couldn't be better, as it's only a short walking distance away from central Glasgow, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the SECC.
The food is of great quality, the breakfasts varied and the rooms are warm, simple and cosy. Some of the best sleep I've ever had!
With the Argyll, "what you see is what you get", and if you want a convenient, reliable, no-fuss, comfortable, well-located, warm and friendly place to stay, you would make a mistake in looking any further.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 327JuanF
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I booked a double room for 1 night to celebrate my husband's 30th. I didn't think there was much point in paying extra for a 4 star since this place had received such good reviews. But, after staying here, I wished I'd just paid the extra for something better as it was a special occasion. This hotel is fine if you're just wanting a bed for the night and are on a budget.
There are a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews (which is confusing) but don't expect anything other than 3 star because that's what it is. It's very dated and simple with no luxuries (no cloth, shampoo and bathroom a bit shabby).
Although it's not the fault of the hotel, the lane going to the car park at the back of the hotel is like a dump - it would be in their interests to see if something can be done about it if they have not already done so (I'd imagine they have) as it doesn't give a good impression at all. Breakfast was fine - like most other hotels.
The wifi connection didn't work from our room (we were on the ground floor fairly close to reception). The receptionist was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Have given the hotel 5 stars, because, while the facilities were a teeny bit dated, the hotel was spotless and for the price was excellent value for money. I paid £35 per night for a single room and was upgraded because there was a double room available, which was a nice start the trip. The staff couldn't have been friendler or more helpful and you couldn't get a better location in Glasgow.

I'll be back quite frequently for work in the next few years and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank PollyR_100
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

what a lovely hotel staff very helpful room was fantastic loved our 4 poster bed went with friends for a Glasgow day out this hotel was well situated for all the things we wanted and pub next door had live music on the Saturday evening. Breakfast was hot and plentiful enjoyed it immensely after a night out and quite a few drinks thankyou Argyll hotel for a lovely stay :-)

• Stayed: December 2013