“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #29 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Penrith, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with friends for a weekend to celebrate my 40 th birthday.
My room was fairly small but clean and comfy. My friends room was huge and recently refurbed.
Breakfast was good, staff extremely helpful and friendly. Very reasonably priced, would use again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Due mainly to the price and proximity to the University which I was visiting, I stayed here for two nights in February. Staff were friendly, checking in (pretty late) was no problem and there's a lift so I wasn't sweating by the 3rd floor.
I wandered into the room at around 11pm and noted a strange buzzing noise, but didn't think too much of it. The room was nice, cosy yet freshly aired, and although small it didn't feel cramped at all.
As I slumped into the bed (comfy!) and closed my eyes, I realised that the strange buzzing noise was the nasal snoring of the (presumably male?) guest in the next room. It was much louder than I had first realised - floating into my room through the paper-thin walls.
The auditory assault continued for the best part of an hour as I tossed and turned in frustration, and after a crescendo to a volume where I was slightly concerned he had accidentally sleep-walked into my room, culminated in a musical (or should I say mucusal?) clearing of the throat and a shuffling noise. Then silence fell, thankfully allowing me to doze off.
Breakfast in the morning was fresh and varied - though try as I might, I couldn't identify which character was likely responsible for the operatic nose-concert of the previous night.
On the second night I was also awoken a couple of times by the sound of a baby crying. I can only imagine the little tod didn't appreciate the ballad of El Snorado (again buzzing away through the walls) and and felt it fit to heckle.
Again, I finally got to sleep when it all stopped, and thankfully, the curtains are really thick so the early morning sun didn't disturb my sleep before the alarm went off.
I would very likely stay again, but I'll be bringing my ear plugs next time!

Room Tip: Try getting a room on a floor with nobody else on it!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Iain C
England, UK
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 days last weekend, while visiting The Exhibition Centre and meeting friends. The room we stayed in was a little tired but spotlessly clean and had everything we needed with a nice enough bathroom although you couldn't move much in the shower! The beds were a little hard but better than being soft. Our friends had a very modern refurbished room just over the corridor so this is obviously an ongoing plan. It's a little bit of a rabbit warren, especially when trying to find the breakfast room, but we had two extremely good breakfasts with very friendly and helpful staff. Our only complaint would be the evening meal we had on our second night, which was very disappointing. We decided to try the dining room that evening as the weather was bad and we had read good reviews here, but the food was a little overcooked and I had to ask for extra sauce for my chicken, there was so little of it. As for the beef burger, it was so small my grandson could easily have eaten it. It was also a very limited menu. Perhaps we should have stayed at the Snaffle Inn next door, a very popular and welcoming pub with reasonable prices for both drinks and food. Having said all that, should we return to Glasgow for any reason, we would go to the Argyll again as it was pretty good value for money compared to the rest of the Hotels available.

Room Tip: Not next to the lift shaft on a windy night!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Millport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at the Argyll Hotel in a single room and I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel as well as by the bedroom, it was much better than most singles I have stayed in and really very clean. The staff are really friendly and the breakfast was great, all in all a really great visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank alex d
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel from 31st Jan 14 till 2nd Feb 14 with friends as we were attending an event at The Hydro the breakfasts were fantastic and the staff all very helpful expecially Lyle in reception on Saturday night, Linda who looked after us at breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday morning and Laurie( in The Sutherland Resturant which is part of the hotel) for looking after us on the Friday night and Saturday night for Dinner. thanks

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mary F
scotland
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Thank you to all the friendly & courteous staff at The Argyll Hotel. You all made us feel so welcome. We, as a group of 5 long time friends, some of who were meeting up for the first time, and were getting together to go to the Strictly Come Dancing live tour at the Secc Hydro. We reserved a family room, which was so very comfortable, spacious and clean, enabling us to be together to enjoy each others company, sharing in the excitement of going to see our favourite show live. We booked for bed and breakfast, but on finding how fabulous the breakfasts were, we decided not to venture out in search of somewhere else to eat in the evenings, because of the quality of food, which was excellent value for money, so why go elsewhere when we had the best right there, at this marvellous friendly and comfortable hotel. Many thanks to everyone for making this very special occasion even better by staying at your hotel. I can personally recommend this fabulous hotel to anyone wishing to visit Glasgow. The location is convenient to many historical attractions and the city centre, all well worth seeing. Glasgow, we will be back and would only ever book into the Argyll Hotel. One last mention, is to the duty manager, on the night of 1st February, who worked tirelessly to get a taxi to us, when we were stranded for over 3 hours on the Saturday night, when Glasgow went crazy crazy in letting their hair down after the January abstinence, and it seemed as though the whole world was needing a taxi that night. This is not a normal happening, but it happened on the night we went to see the Strictly tour. Two of our friends suffered with rheumatoid arthritis and were unable to walk back to the hotel in the pouring rain in extremely cold conditions. But The Argyll Hotel managed to rescue us and welcome us back to the warm and friendly hotel. We, as a group of five ladies, thank each and everyone of the staff for a very enjoyable stay and will definitely be booking again for our next trip to Glasgow.

Room Tip: family room sleeping 5 people, large, warm & comfortable and no traffic noise to contend with ei...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank minxyjanet
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My wife and I recently visited Glasgow specifically for the Jack Vettriano exhibition. The Argyll was perfectly placed for the Kelvingrove museum and art gallery where the event took place. (I understand Commonwealth games events will be close to the hotel too!). Perfectly placed for restaurants and bars in the West End.

The rooms were a little dark and could do with a freshen up - but they were spotlessly clean and we had a great nights sleep even having a room at the front of the hotel next to the road. It was actually nice to come to a hotel with some character - I do get bored with hotels that are boxes that could be anywhere in the world. The clan and tartan themes to each room gave the hotel some individuality, as did the ironwork bannisters.

We only ate breakfast here, but it was plentiful and the waitresses were charming and so helpful.
All in all good value for a city hotel in a great location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple