“Do not stay here!”

Ranked #28 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Yardley, PA
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

Attitude is: So sorry we can't help OK bye. I arrived at the hotel early in the morning (transcontinental flight) and was told that my room wouldn't be available until 2 P.M. OK, fair enough. Went downtown, came back at 1:30, still not ready. OK, fair enough. Waited a while, then a young lady walked in, and I watched the boy at the reception desk check her in right away. OK, not so fair anymore. I said to the boy: I have to ask, why was her room ready if mine is not? Oh, he said, different people have different rooms: there are singles, doubles, family rooms, whatever. Wait a second, I said, didn't she have a single? Yes, he admitted, this traveler had a single. Well, I had a single too. If a room was available, why didn't you give to me? He said: Her room was booked for one night and yours was for four nights. So yours wasn't ready yet. Excuse me? What earthly difference does it make--if a room is ready, I should be able to check in. The room doesn't disappear into thin air after one night. Finally he admitted that that explanation was baloney, and said the computer system wouldn't let him make the necessary change to my reservation. ("It might be difficult for you to understand since you're not in the hotel business," he added with a smarmy grin.) So I asked to speak to the manager, because that "system," if the story is even true, is very inconvenient for travelers. Then one boy pointed to another boy and said "He's the manager," while the other boy said "The manager isn't in today."

I said: "Bye."

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
ArgyllHotel, Front Office Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2010
I am sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience upon arrival at the Argyll Guesthouse on June 6th, and would like to stress that it is not standard procedure.

Our official check-in is after 2pm, but we do try to accommodate our guests as soon as possible by prioritising early arrivals, particularly as in your case guests who have arrived after a long journey.

Dr. King specifically requested larger rooms for all delegates and for that reason the receptionist did not check you into the single room which was vacant and ready, and this should have been explained to you by the receptionist on duty.

I have spoken to the receptionist involved and agree that your situation should have been dealt with in a more sympathetic manner, and that more of an effort should have been made to accommodate you sooner.

I regret that this was your first impression of the Argyll Guesthouse and I apologise most sincerely for the inconvenience caused you.

Yours Sincerely,

Catherine Cuffe
Reception Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
perth scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2010

Stayed here only one night thank goodness had the worst night sleep ever in a really old creaky uncomfortable bed with a duvet that did not meet to the ends of the bed. Obviously the rooms in the photos are either not at this hotel or they kept for" honeymooners", not that i would like to spend my honeymoon there. The rooms and bathrooms are tiny and very old fashioned and the shower curtain in the bathroom very unhygenic, overall for the £40 we paid it was ok but certainly would not pay anymore.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Inverness-shire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

We booked a double with upgrade to four post bed and a single for my sister. Cost us £166 for one night for both.
Our room was reasonable but high noise level from street. I don't think there can be any excuse for grime on the shower tiles and trim but there was. The corner bath is a nice touch but it looked like the sealant had been applied with a spoon! Very small towels (also no heated towel rail) and very few tea bags were the final things to spoil what could be a nice room to stay in - bearing in mind that this is a 'better' room.
The single was very small but was quiet. Unfortunately just not cleaned well and tea stains on the wall that just should have been cleaned. TV did not work. Walls in this area are so thin that the snoring person in the next room made sleep difficult.
On a positive note we had a very nice meal served by nice staff in the restaurant downstairs. (Although it needs a coat of paint and some work with a duster)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Moray
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

I booked this hotel needing a last minute stay in Glasgow. The hotel staff were very friendly and the room was excellent value. I looked at booking it through last minute, but got it cheaper going direct. Paid 27 GBP for 1 night B&B which is unbelievable value. The parking problem mentioned earlier is not really a problem. There's plenty of parking in the adjacent streets, but restrictions do apply. From 8am to 6pm you need to pay and display, but I arrived at 10pm put one pound in the meter which gave me until 10am. If staying for more than one night you will have to be careful as there is a 3 hour limit on tickets, but this is manageable. Overall it was a fantastic hotel at a great price and I wouldn't hesitate at booking here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

The service and food were very good. Breakfast was plentiful and well presented. The double room on 3rd floor at the back, was very quiet and peaceful although rooms at the front would have been noisier. Our double room was slightly small though, but did have everything we needed for a short break. However, the closure on the ensuite bathroom was broken so we had no way of fastening the door. A slide bolt would have rectified this.
The location was also excellent, just across from the Kelvingrove art gallery and museum and the bus stop for the city tour bus. Ask at reception for a discount voucher.
Although there is parking to the back of the hotel it was a very small area although there is on street parking outside.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
South Cerney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is clean with nice tartan decor. We had a spacious family room with a good modern bathroom. Considering we were at the front, it wasn't too noisy and we slept well. We were able to park on site, and the staff were friendly and went out of their way to help. The restaurant downstairs - Sutherlands- was really good; we ate there twice.
It's about a 25min walk into town (but easy to get a bus), and 15 min in the other direction to the university and Kelvingrove park.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

Stayed there at the end of January 2010. No hotel parking. OK, we'd read this in the booking literature. Parked at the side of the hotel: Gray Street. Asked the receptionist who was on at the time if it was OK to park there (mon-fri restrictions 6am-8pm, no res's sat sun), he said: yes, of course that's where most of our guests do park. So, OK, no probs. Came out Saturday morning to find that we have a £30 parking ticket.
The manager of the hotel reception staff told me it was not her responsibility, it was nothing to do with the hotel and that it was entirely my fault for parking there........Eh, What????..but you told me to park there????.
Don't go to this hotel unless you're absolutely stuck. Their customer service is really bad and the rooms are very small.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple