“You know you're in Scotland when you stay here”
Review of Argyll Hotel

Argyll Hotel
Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Tavares, Florida
“You know you're in Scotland when you stay here”
Reviewed 30 September 2010

The room we had was on the small side for the price. However it slept well (big points) and you could turn around in the bathroom. It was clean and had a lift as well. The delightful touch was that each room was named after a Scottish Clan and was done up with the tartan of that clan. On the wall was a framed information document telling you about your room Clan. I would stay here again. It is located perfectly for my husband and myself. It is within walking distance of the wonderful Kelvingrove Museum and University of Edinburgh, which has the Hunterian Museum. The Hunterian holds a great collection of Whistler which will surprise you with his diversity of media. We had free WiFi in the downstairs Pub.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baldwin, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We were visiting Scotland with my mother - 97 yrs young - & all her children (now seniors) after an absence of 85 yrs. After some initial "mix-up" over our booking, we finally arranged the last two days of a very memorable 3 wk. tour at the Argyll. I can't say enough about the wonderful reception we received. Mother was treated like a queen & won't forget the beautiful room trimmed in tartans & all the rest of the amenities. BUT most of all, the kind & considerate attention of the staff, particularly Catherine (what else could we have expected from a girl from Stornoway?) & the sweet & pretty Carolann ( that grandson in Canada still awaits if you change your mind!) made this very special visit end on a high note. ***Thanks too to Laurie (sp?) in Sutherlands for the fine food & relaxing atmosphere which he provided! What a great addition to a very special hotel!

• Stayed September 2010
Lichtenstein, Germany
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I have stayed at the Argyll a few times, and in keeping with my with new pledge to try and review all hotels i stay in, here's my review from back in February.

In February, I was greeted by two smiling faces when i walked in to reception, one of whom was from the Isle of Lewis (funny accent), both very helpful.

My room was on the third floor, which was not a problem as there is an elevator - which you never see in these old buildings!

The room and ensuite was a little dated, but the bed was comfortable enough, the wifi was good and room service was even an option (but for the £5.00 service charge i couldnt justify it).

The breakfast is amazing; a huge buffet where you can help yourself and go back for seconds. I am not a fan of fish, but the gentleman next to my tables ordered kippers from the kitchen.

The hotel website does advertise tartan rooms, but i did not get a chance to see any of these - maybe available at request. Not being of Scottish origin i was not really bothered by this - there is more than enough tartan around the hotel anyway!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Satayed here for 2 nights during business trip. Hotel is perfectly acceptable for the rate paid. Room was comfortable if not exactly volumous and the breakfast was spot on.
Despite what the Good Doctor says about the staff , I found them to be extremely efficient and professional. Parking is a bit of a problem but where is it not these days?

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Yardley, PA
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Attitude is: So sorry we can't help OK bye. I arrived at the hotel early in the morning (transcontinental flight) and was told that my room wouldn't be available until 2 P.M. OK, fair enough. Went downtown, came back at 1:30, still not ready. OK, fair enough. Waited a while, then a young lady walked in, and I watched the boy at the reception desk check her in right away. OK, not so fair anymore. I said to the boy: I have to ask, why was her room ready if mine is not? Oh, he said, different people have different rooms: there are singles, doubles, family rooms, whatever. Wait a second, I said, didn't she have a single? Yes, he admitted, this traveler had a single. Well, I had a single too. If a room was available, why didn't you give to me? He said: Her room was booked for one night and yours was for four nights. So yours wasn't ready yet. Excuse me? What earthly difference does it make--if a room is ready, I should be able to check in. The room doesn't disappear into thin air after one night. Finally he admitted that that explanation was baloney, and said the computer system wouldn't let him make the necessary change to my reservation. ("It might be difficult for you to understand since you're not in the hotel business," he added with a smarmy grin.) So I asked to speak to the manager, because that "system," if the story is even true, is very inconvenient for travelers. Then one boy pointed to another boy and said "He's the manager," while the other boy said "The manager isn't in today."

I said: "Bye."

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
ArgyllHotel, Front Office Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2010
I am sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience upon arrival at the Argyll Guesthouse on June 6th, and would like to stress that it is not standard procedure.

Our official check-in is after 2pm, but we do try to accommodate our guests as soon as possible by prioritising early arrivals, particularly as in your case guests who have arrived after a long journey.

Dr. King specifically requested larger rooms for all delegates and for that reason the receptionist did not check you into the single room which was vacant and ready, and this should have been explained to you by the receptionist on duty.

I have spoken to the receptionist involved and agree that your situation should have been dealt with in a more sympathetic manner, and that more of an effort should have been made to accommodate you sooner.

I regret that this was your first impression of the Argyll Guesthouse and I apologise most sincerely for the inconvenience caused you.

Yours Sincerely,

Catherine Cuffe
Reception Manager
perth scotland
Reviewed 26 May 2010

Stayed here only one night thank goodness had the worst night sleep ever in a really old creaky uncomfortable bed with a duvet that did not meet to the ends of the bed. Obviously the rooms in the photos are either not at this hotel or they kept for" honeymooners", not that i would like to spend my honeymoon there. The rooms and bathrooms are tiny and very old fashioned and the shower curtain in the bathroom very unhygenic, overall for the £40 we paid it was ok but certainly would not pay anymore.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Inverness-shire
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We booked a double with upgrade to four post bed and a single for my sister. Cost us £166 for one night for both.
Our room was reasonable but high noise level from street. I don't think there can be any excuse for grime on the shower tiles and trim but there was. The corner bath is a nice touch but it looked like the sealant had been applied with a spoon! Very small towels (also no heated towel rail) and very few tea bags were the final things to spoil what could be a nice room to stay in - bearing in mind that this is a 'better' room.
The single was very small but was quiet. Unfortunately just not cleaned well and tea stains on the wall that just should have been cleaned. TV did not work. Walls in this area are so thin that the snoring person in the next room made sleep difficult.
On a positive note we had a very nice meal served by nice staff in the restaurant downstairs. (Although it needs a coat of paint and some work with a duster)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family