“Good, for many reasons”
Review of The Belhaven Hotel

The Belhaven Hotel
Ranked #52 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I have reviewed this place on another site, but as I stayed here as a solo traveller a couple of weeks ago, as well as having previously stayed here as part of a couple and on one occasion, a family group, I want to add a coda. This hotel is comfortable and friendly, with excellent breakfasts which as part of the room rate, are great value for money. However, I am always struck by how comfortable I feel here as a solo traveller; sitting in the bar for a late drink minding my own business and being made to feel completely at home. Don't ever change; well not too much!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I entered the Belhaven and was impressed! The lobby is beautiful, in a splendid old building near the Botanical Gardens and Byers Rd. But then I was led down some stairs to a pokey basement room. The room was very small and dark, the bathroom clearly done on the cheap (sink cracked, light above sink not working, shower squeezed behind the door and tiny, the door frame had a big space between it and the wall). Also, I could hear EVERYTHING in the room next door - though, thankfully they were pretty quiet. I could even hear the other guest's cell phone buzzing on silent mode! For the price charged this was pretty inadequate.
But the breakfast was a real high and the place is clean. The staff are so-so - not the kind of fabulous warmth and humour I've experienced elsewhere in Glasgow. I won't stay here again - but it the place did have some good features (location, cleanliness, nice breakfast). But I found it a bit shoddy and not good value for money.

Room Tip: ensure you DON'T get a basement room (though I can't vouch for the upstairs rooms)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
BalBelhaven, Manager at The Belhaven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Belhaven Hotel. The basement rooms are currently under refurbishment with already one room being completed. This room includes new decoration, new ceiling with LED spot lights, new flooring and new furniture. Once all these rooms are completed we will post new photos on Trip Advisor and on our own web page.

Some shaver lights in the hotel have a main switch just outside the bathroom, beside the light switch, this must be turned on before you can put on the shaver light. If you ever have any problems with any equipment in the room then please call reception from your room and somebody will be able to help.

With regards to the noise we will take this into consideration when continuing with our refurbishment and put something in place to reduce any noise from other guests however I do think you have over exaggerated with comments like being able to 'hear a mobile phone on silent'. The victorian building is mainly brick and concrete with solid walls.

I'm sorry my staff didn't feel warm enough for you, I think we maybe just didn't get enough interaction. I trust they did remain professional, friendly, courteous and did their best to make you feel comfortable.

Thank you again for your comments.

Bal

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Our front room had a lovely view over the Botanical Gardens. The big sash window opened fully. There is a gorgeous sweeping staircase and the breakfast room was bright and the food and service excellent. There were lovely fresh flowers in the dining room and hall, which was a nice touch. The bedrooms were basic, with en-suite adaptation, but completely sufficient, and the bed comfortable. Lovely power shower. The overall atmosphere was very comfortable. I had to check with my husband that he had the price right, because we have paid more for hotels which were not nearly as nice as this. We would stay here again - if we can get in!

Room Tip: I didn't see a lift, so it may be worth checking that out. Front rooms are lovely because they l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed here recently when on a work trip. I was in the single room in the 'basement' area, which was fine, space-wise, but the overall impression was of the room having seen better days. The table lamps had stained, slightly torn lampshades, and the bathroom has a really incongruous plastic flip-top bin, but it was missing the lid and had the original sticker on - it looked completely out-of-place! There was also no coffee/tea in rooms, only via room service. It would have been nice to be able to make a hot drink in the room.

However, the staff were really friendly and the breakfast was great. The hotel is also in a good location, a short walk from shops, bars and restaurants etc. I'd stay here again, but perhaps try another room.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I booked this hotel knowing the only room left was the budget single. I was collecting my son from University so needed a hotel close to Queen Margaret Halls of Residence. Belhaven is also convenient to anywhere in the west end. Parking is available on the narrow street outside the hotel, however it is very popular so spaces are at a premium. I parked on Kirklee Road which is just opposite the hotel.
The room was exactly what it said on the tin. It was clean and compact with a comfy single bed. There was no en suite, but you had your own private bathroom just across the hallway.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast was very nice. I got the feeling from looking around that the rest of the hotel was indeed a real jewel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I had planned to stay in the west end during my trip to Glasgow. I was so lucky to find the jewel that is the Belhaven. It was in the heart of the west end, walking distance from subway stops and many good bars and restaurants.

The staff were amazing and went out of their way to help us out, and always greeted us with a smile. The night porter (older Glasgow man) was on top form after our night out, was able to sort us out with bottles of water and a joke or two. The breakfast was also top drawer

I will defo be back.

Patrick (Belfast)

Room Tip: Room 7 is massive.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I took my mother to this hotel to celebrate her 70th birthday and we were both extremely impressed. We requested an easy access room to avoid too many stairs and the room on the ground floor was huge with beautiful coving and a large bathroom. The view out the back of the hotel was pretty with blosom and gardens and the hotel was clean and very tastefully decorated throughout. The breakfast was a real highlight, I had waffle and bacon, it was a real treat. The only reason I have deducted a star was because when we made the booking through booking.com the confirmation email clearly stated there would be tea and coffee facilities in the room, there were no facilities and at £3 a pop for two teas to be brought to the room this was an unexpected expense. This could have been a mix up with the third party agent I don't know but we didn't like to mention it. The staff were really lovely and polite, extremely welcoming. So glad I chose this hotel- we will be back.

Room Tip: The easy access ground floor room is lovely- quiet even though it is by the kitchen.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
BalBelhaven, Manager at The Belhaven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, I'm really happy to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and you were impressed by the hotel and its services.

With regards to tea/coffee facilities, they have been removed from all rooms but they are now available on request, free of charge. If it had been mentioned we would have put the facilities in your room straight away. Just let us know your preferences next time you stay with us!

Bal