The Belhaven Hotel
US$294
US$172
US$146
  • Room Service
Grand Central Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$192
US$201
US$183
US$95
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbyres roadwest endpremier roombotanic gardenssingle roombyres rdgreat western roadspa bathoran morno tea coffee making facilitiesnight porterlovely hotelbreakfast was delicioustop floorhuge roomunderground stationcity centre
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Second time I have stayed in the Belhaven. It is a lovely hotel in a brilliant location for the West End but, as has been said already, it is a bit tired in the decor. It was explained that it is under refurbishment and the entrance hall and new lounge do look great. We had the Premier Room and overall it was comfortable and the spa bath was a real treat. However, we did miss having our own coffee/tea making facilities, as several people have commented on. Although it was explained that coffee and tea could be ordered on room service, I didn't think this was good enough. For the price of the room I don't think we should have to pay extra for tea and coffee. I would rather make my own anyhow, especially first thing in the morning. I have discussed this with the manager and he explained that a kettle could be provided on request but I think all rooms should have it provided as standard. Most people just want to relax in their room and have tea and coffee when they want and not have to order room service plus pay extra. However, we had a lovely, comfortable stay at the hotel. The staff were friendly and attentive and the breakfast was excellent. Parking was also good, although you don't need the car when the best way to see the West End is on foot. We will definitely be back to the hotel and look forward to seeing the progress made in the hotel refurbishment. I have had email discussions with the manager, Bal, and he is obviously doing his best in developing this unique hotel and responding well to comments. Avril Lockhart, Argyll.

Room Tip: If Bal hasn't changed his mind about providing tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, ask for a kettle.....and tea and coffee!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Avril L
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We had an upstairs room, which was beautiful, overlooking the courtyard. I was solo the 1st night; daughter joined me 2nd day. When she arrived, she thought I must have caused trouble, because Rima knew where she belonged right away! I explained that the staff were all very helpful. :-)

Breakfasts were delicious, and very filling.
This was my first trip across the pond, so I'm no expert, but absolutely loved the Belhaven. I walked everywhere, as there is so much to see in the West End. It was great to come back, sit in the lounge and relax or use the free wi-fi.
I had read about Oran Mar, and wanted to eat there. On the map, it looked like it was probably a taxi ride away. I was delightfully surprised to find it just a few blocks away from Belhaven. Excellent food, as well as FUN place!!
I hope to return some day, and stay @ Belhaven again!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The room itself (The Premier Room) was terrific but slightly tatty in some corners - very comfy bed and the spa bath was fantastic - the breakfast was great (well worth the 30 min wait for it!!!!!!!) - was advised that the cook wanted to perfect our poached eggs hence the wait - the only bad thing and this is why a star is being taken off is that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room - when I asked reception about this all I got was a shrug of the shoulders folowed by the words " That's why we have a cafe" - which is all well and good but what if you fancied a tea or coffee when the cafe is closed????

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob H
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My Belhaven experience was outstanding. The manager, Bal, and his staff were terrific hosts. My wife and I overnighted at this hotel for 9 days and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The location was superb as restaurants, grocery facilities, subway connections, and museums were within very short walking distances. Additionally, the botanical gardens were across the street. The Western Road (in front of the Belhaven) was ideal for us to exit Glasgow and drive to Oban or other points North everyday. The hotel was easy to find and parking was always available. The morning breakfast was superb and substantial. My compliments to the staff as they were always helpful, friendly, and supportive. The beds were divine and the most comfortable I've slept on outside my home. The hotel is undergoing renovation, but this has no impact on the guests and our stay was peaceful, quiet, and restful. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Belhaven and will always stay there during our future trips to Glasgow. I highly recommend this facility for anyone who ventures to Glasgow. The manager, Bal, deserves special mention because he wants every guest to have the best experience possible by setting a standard of service that is memorable, appreciated, and pleasurable. He runs a great hotel. Thanks from the Jones' of Chugiak, Alaska.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alaskatraveler2
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I've stayed at Belhaven Hotel twice, once in April for 3 nights and again in June for 7 nights.

The staff go beyond their remit to help- the first night i checked in, the receptionist advised me of a decent running route through the Botanic Gardens and Kelvingrove park, the latter which runs directly parallel to the hotel. They never grew tired of putting my stinky gym kit through the wash daily, and delivering umpteen coffees to my room via three flights of stairs. My smile would've cracked by that point. I'd say that this overt attention to making your stay the best it can be is one of the primary selling points of the hotel.

The food is good, there's a large selection at breakfast and anything cooked is prompt.

Granted, the walls are on the thin side, but i think that's to be expected in an old tenement-style building that has been converted to a hotel. Aside from that, the rooms are spacious and clean, and contain everything one would need for a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Massive declivity in room size as you descend into the basement - I'd requested a larger room prior to my second stay and this was processed without a hitch or grumble. If in doubt, ask; they're all very willing to help.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business