“More of a hole than a Haven.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Belhaven Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Belhaven Hotel
Ranked #53 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“More of a hole than a Haven.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed here for a night after travelling up to Glasgow recently...

I wish I hadn't, stayed in room 1 and throughout the afternoon, all I could hear was the staff walking in and out of the security exit, presumably either having a fag or taking out rubbish, both I would assume.

Then in the morning, the room I was in was below the kitchen so all I could hear was the staff preparing food and gossiping about guests, walking in and out and laughing. The guestbook clearly stated that breakfast finished at 9:30, but when I turned up, I was informed it was finished at 9:00, which was a load of ****.

The staff weren't too bad, but what do you expect for £35.

Looks nice, but if they put you in room 1, do yourself a favour and escape through the fire exit yourself when the staff go out there for a fag.

Room Tip: Don't get room 1.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ShaunTiberius
BalBelhaven, General Manager at The Belhaven Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Room 1 is a small budget room ideal for anyone on a low budget. The room is small, cosy and compact with a private bathroom along the corridor. The cost for this room is £35.00 per night including breakfast which is a competitive rate for the west end of Glasgow.

Regarding your concerns in the afternoon we do have a lot of work going on in the hotel in terms of renovation, especially in Room 2, 3 and 5 which are all based on the same lower floor as Room 1. Staff are not permitted to smoke in the back area however we do have builders and contractors who need to store equipment and use the back area to carry out work. We would like to sincerely apologise if this caused you any disturbance. Had we been notified by yourself that this was creating a uncomfortable environment for you we could have took steps to control the disturbance. We will always do our best to ensure a guest has a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

The guestbook in Room 1 has been checked and we can confirm it states the following:

Monday - Friday - 7:30am - 9:00am (last orders 8:45am)

Saturday - Sunday - 8:00am - 9:30am (last orders 9:15am)

This information is provided to you in your guest book, on our website, during check-in and a notice at reception. We understand that sometimes people make mistakes and if you had informed us you had misread and wished to have breakfast outwith these hours we could have arranged this.

As a team we enjoy our work and we are a happy team, this is usually conveyed in our working environment and allows an enjoyable experience for our guests too. I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed in the morning and I will ask staff members to remain aware of their own noise levels. I will also remain vigilant on the levels of noise, however I would strongly refute any suggestions that my staff were 'gossiping' about guests. We all enjoy our work and meeting guests from different parts of the world, not to mention the fact that our busy breakfast run leaves little time for chit chat.

There is a certain level of expectation which should not have to be mentioned when entering a hotel such as comfortable bed, clean room, clean linen, good bathroom facilities and quality customer care. Although you haven't mentioned any of the above in your review I hope we met your level of expectation on those points. I would welcome and encourage that yourself or any other guests who are experiencing a problem, discomfort or disturbance make staff aware of this - we can only fix a problem which we are aware of. Your comfort and enjoyment is my absolute priority and I will always go the extra mile for my guests, ensuring that any issues are rectified immediately. If you do stay with us again I would hope that this time you feel able to discuss any issues with myself.

Kind Regards,
Bal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Naha, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

A little pricey but a nice hotel with very good service. Excellent breakfast included in price of stay. Very close to Botanical Gardens and about 15 min walk from Glasgow University. Staff were very friendly and helpful; very comfortable beds as well.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank 6Schraders
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Belhaven Hotel. We are delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed here for one night, very friendly welcome and let me store my bag as I was there early morning and checked in that afternoon. Quiet location but only a 10 minute stroll from Byres Road with its many shops, restaurants and bars. Room was great, right at the top of the building up many stairs! Food brought to your room if you so wished which is a nice touch. Overall value for money and I would return. The Scottish breakfast was superb!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Belhaven Hotel.

We aim to offer a good value service where you can expect a high standard of customer care. I am very happy to hear this was your experience.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I needed a hotel for just one night for a reasonable price, and this hotel ticked all the boxes. The hotel looks beautiful. I stayed in a clean single room with en-suite bathroom. I arrived well before check-in time, because I had to go to a wedding - the hotel staff was very helpful, preparing my room first so I could check in earlier. Breakfast was very nice, good quality and selection of items. I was lucky to be there early for breakfast, it became quite busy in the breakfast room later on in the morning. The hotel was easy to get to from the train station by subway, and I used the second day in Glasgow to walk to the Riverside museum which wasn't too far away either.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Alexandria, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Enjoyable stay-2 nights in the premier room our for anniversary with chocolates/champagne and fresh fruit on arrival.Room 11 is very spacious and comfortable with a double spa bath.The room looks out on to great Western Road/The Botanic Gardens.The staff are very friendly and the breakfast was excellent.Very good location for Byres Road/Ashton Lane and Hillhead underground into city centre.Price very reasonable.We will definately book again when we are in Glasgow.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Neil M
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

My mum stayed in a standard single room and was delighted with the stay. Her room was small but perfectly adequate for a single adult, with a comfortable bed and all the bathroom facilities that one would require. She also felt that the staff were very mannerly and helpful.

But most of all she enjoyed the breakfast the most. Although the cut off time was quite early (last orders 08.45am) the quality of food that was made was fantastic..

All round a very competitively priced, well laid out hotel with helpful staff and a fantastic breakfast. My mum will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing the Belhaven Hotel.

We are delighted to hear your mum had such an enjoyable stay and loved our breakfast. We offer breakfast to non-residents as well. If your mum chooses to stay with us again then please join her in our breakfast room for a hearty scottish breakfast.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I was just passing through Glasgow and only needed a place for one night. The Belhaven was great for that (perhaps I could have chosen a hotel closer to the train station, but I got the bus just outside the hotel and it was quite easy). I had a single room, quite tiny and with shared bath and toilet, but I more or less had the whole floor to myself so I was alriight. I left too early to have the breakfast. The staff was really nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo