“Just OK... clearly overrated in Tripadvisor”
Review of The Belhaven Hotel

The Belhaven Hotel
Ranked #49 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Clean and reasonably new.
Good safe upscale area in Glasgow.
Free Internet works fast.
Charming old building.
Staff is friendly.
Good rates (yet what you pay is what you get).

Design and furniture is cheap and bad quality... it is your typical "budget-design" hotel that will age really badly. They should have invested in IKEA furniture and LG screens... at least!
No elevator (yet only 2 floors and stairs are wide).
Low water pressure.
Clearly under staffed (even if it is small)... at least they try to do as much as they can.
Poor breakfast.
Area is very nice but a bit off the downtown and Central Station.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
BalBelhaven, Director of Sales at The Belhaven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Belhaven Hotel and reviewing the hotel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience overall. We have invested in a better WIFI system recently and we are happy to hear it is a good quality service.

We do our best to bring quality into all aspects of the hotel. I am sorry to hear you felt the furniture and design was not up to scratch, nor the breakfast however I would respect other guest comments who have enjoyed our breakfast and the general design of the hotel. I believe we have earned our rating through hard work, a strong focus on customer care and attention to detail.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

A really nice retreat. Loved the music in the bar but don't recommend the pizza. :) Acommodations were spacious and comfortable. The champagne, candy and fruit provided for the romantic weekend were great. Felt like we were enjoying a retro moment in time.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide good privacy and comfort.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed in the hotel for one night during my business trip to Glasgow. I had a very nice single room at the top of the bulding though somebody could not like the stairs. The staff helped me with luggage which was nice and was overal very friendly. I also liked the lobby very much with nice atmosphere, good coffee and excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed in this pleasant B&B for three nights whilst attending a training course in Glasgow, Bed was comfortable, room was tidy but furniture a little dated in the room. Water pressure a bit hit & miss in the en –suite bathroom. Staff very helpful. Great location for access into Glasgow city centre.
My only grip is the fact that there is no kettle in the room, this is a first for me as every other B&B I have stayed in the UK has tea & coffee facilities in the room. This is available via room service at an a additional charge, I refused to pay extra for what I consider to be a basic in a B&B. I would advise people to take a travel kettle if staying here.

Room Tip: Room 14 is big, but on top floor, lots of stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed here for a night after travelling up to Glasgow recently...

I wish I hadn't, stayed in room 1 and throughout the afternoon, all I could hear was the staff walking in and out of the security exit, presumably either having a fag or taking out rubbish, both I would assume.

Then in the morning, the room I was in was below the kitchen so all I could hear was the staff preparing food and gossiping about guests, walking in and out and laughing. The guestbook clearly stated that breakfast finished at 9:30, but when I turned up, I was informed it was finished at 9:00, which was a load of ****.

The staff weren't too bad, but what do you expect for £35.

Looks nice, but if they put you in room 1, do yourself a favour and escape through the fire exit yourself when the staff go out there for a fag.

Room Tip: Don't get room 1.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ShaunTiberius
BalBelhaven, General Manager at The Belhaven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Room 1 is a small budget room ideal for anyone on a low budget. The room is small, cosy and compact with a private bathroom along the corridor. The cost for this room is £35.00 per night including breakfast which is a competitive rate for the west end of Glasgow.

Regarding your concerns in the afternoon we do have a lot of work going on in the hotel in terms of renovation, especially in Room 2, 3 and 5 which are all based on the same lower floor as Room 1. Staff are not permitted to smoke in the back area however we do have builders and contractors who need to store equipment and use the back area to carry out work. We would like to sincerely apologise if this caused you any disturbance. Had we been notified by yourself that this was creating a uncomfortable environment for you we could have took steps to control the disturbance. We will always do our best to ensure a guest has a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

The guestbook in Room 1 has been checked and we can confirm it states the following:

Monday - Friday - 7:30am - 9:00am (last orders 8:45am)

Saturday - Sunday - 8:00am - 9:30am (last orders 9:15am)

This information is provided to you in your guest book, on our website, during check-in and a notice at reception. We understand that sometimes people make mistakes and if you had informed us you had misread and wished to have breakfast outwith these hours we could have arranged this.

As a team we enjoy our work and we are a happy team, this is usually conveyed in our working environment and allows an enjoyable experience for our guests too. I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed in the morning and I will ask staff members to remain aware of their own noise levels. I will also remain vigilant on the levels of noise, however I would strongly refute any suggestions that my staff were 'gossiping' about guests. We all enjoy our work and meeting guests from different parts of the world, not to mention the fact that our busy breakfast run leaves little time for chit chat.

There is a certain level of expectation which should not have to be mentioned when entering a hotel such as comfortable bed, clean room, clean linen, good bathroom facilities and quality customer care. Although you haven't mentioned any of the above in your review I hope we met your level of expectation on those points. I would welcome and encourage that yourself or any other guests who are experiencing a problem, discomfort or disturbance make staff aware of this - we can only fix a problem which we are aware of. Your comfort and enjoyment is my absolute priority and I will always go the extra mile for my guests, ensuring that any issues are rectified immediately. If you do stay with us again I would hope that this time you feel able to discuss any issues with myself.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

A little pricey but a nice hotel with very good service. Excellent breakfast included in price of stay. Very close to Botanical Gardens and about 15 min walk from Glasgow University. Staff were very friendly and helpful; very comfortable beds as well.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank 6Schraders

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Belhaven Hotel. We are delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed here for one night, very friendly welcome and let me store my bag as I was there early morning and checked in that afternoon. Quiet location but only a 10 minute stroll from Byres Road with its many shops, restaurants and bars. Room was great, right at the top of the building up many stairs! Food brought to your room if you so wished which is a nice touch. Overall value for money and I would return. The Scottish breakfast was superb!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Belhaven Hotel.

We aim to offer a good value service where you can expect a high standard of customer care. I am very happy to hear this was your experience.