“Lovely weekend at the Belhaven”
Review of The Belhaven Hotel

The Belhaven Hotel
Ranked #54 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Reading, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend at the Belhaven”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Beautiful building and great location, just across from the Botanic Gardens, round the corner to Byres Road - plenty of bars, shops, cafes, restaurants etc. The West End is a great place to stay for the city centre, only 2.60 on the subway into Glasgow return or day ticket.

The hotel staff were very friendly and the breakfast was yummy, can recommend the Porridge with berries and the full with egg, bacon, mushrooms, sausage, black pudding, tomato etc - my partner had it both mornings. Lovely room up at the top (Rm 17), although the stairs up are a bit of a trek and redecoration was ongoing. The view was out to the side of the building, end of the terrace and had to turn the radiator off even in November as it was still pretty mild out. Luxury bathroom.

I had requested tea making facilities after reading other reviews, which thankfully was in our room on arrival, can't go long without a cup of tea so was very grateful - but beware, it did cost us 7.00 on departure, still worth every penny though especially as I got the ensuite double with breakfast for 2 nights at the amazing 146.00 - Tripadvisor rate.

Well done Belhaven, we will definitely be back next time we are visiting my daughter who lives nearby in Thornwood, look forward to coming back to the West End again CHEERS x

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I had an Interview in Glasgow las week and the University booked a room in the Belhaven hotel for my 3 nights stay. The area is very nice, near the University which is a fantastic area for sightseeing and for amenities. The hotel is esplendid, the rooms are nicely decorated and have plenty of space. I loved the victorian style of the house!
The management of the hotel is fantastic. Thanks to the manager, Bal, I did not get lost in Glasgow! He is very helpful!
I recommend this hotel to all of you who want to have a fantastic and confortable stay for a good price!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I will definitely be staying at the Belhaven Hotel when I next come to Glasgow. Beautiful location with great bars and restaurants and museums nearby. Everyone was super friendly especially the gorgeous and well-dressed Manager Bal who was also incredibly gracious and knowledgeable. I happened to be upgraded to the biggest room which was enormous and very grand indeed. Breakfast was fantastic. Cleanliness superb throughout. Well worth the £60 I paid! I do agree with others that having tea/coffee making facilities in the room would be a nice added touch, but would have asked for it if I really wanted it!

Room Tip: Ask for room 7!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Turriff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here for one night midweek. Conveniently situated and free car parking on the very quiet street outside just off Great Western Road. Check in was very quick and straightforward. The friendly receptionist gave us a few recommendations on nearby places to eat and carried our case up to our room our room which was huge, clean and comfortable. Plenty of hot water in the morning and a powerful shower. Breakfast in the morning was very good, plenty of choice and again helpful and friendly staff. I thought the fresh flowers in the dining area and reception were a nice touch. I would certainly stay here again should we ever have to go back to Glasgow.

Room Tip: Higher rooms avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

First impressions on arrival were good - the building, the reception area, the receptionist.
As a solo traveller second impressions are usually not good because of the room allocated.
That is not the case here. The room was an adequate size, well lit and well furnished. Some other reviewers have criticised the basement rooms - I had no problems with mine, less stairs to walk and no noise. The cleanliness of the room and the en-suite were up to the mark.
But there is one big black mark about the room. After a day’s work and a 5 hour drive I wanted to get my shoes off and have a cup of tea - there is no tea making facility in the room. Asked the receptionist about this and it was not an oversight, none of the rooms have this facility. However he offered to get me a pot of tea immediately. That is an example of good service. From my experience I could not fault the service during my stay. The Room Service was tried and it was also up to scratch.
Sleep was no problem: quiet room and a comfortable bed.
Breakfast was OK. The cold buffet was what you would expect in a small hotel. The cooked breakfast - good bacon used but they have a problem with eggs - poached a bit underdone, omelette a bit overdone and scrambled eggs that looked a bit washed-out, however they tasted OK.
Initially I thought parking may be a problem but it was not so; I did what the locals do and parked in the street beside the hotel. I did not want to use my car one night and found there were bus stops close by with a good service into the city centre.
In summary, I had a good experience.
I get the impression the owner is trying to make this a better than average small hotel. Compared to others I have stayed in in Glasgow he is certainly getting there. One suggestion to the owner - other reviewers have mentioned the lack of tea making facilities, I discovered after my visit that hospitality trays were available for an extra cost but I was not told this when I phoned in my booking - might be an idea to make this option better known.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ScotchAndy
BalBelhaven, General Manager at The Belhaven Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

As the manager / owner of the business I am really delighted you understand what I am trying to do here and you can see the improvements. We have worked really hard in the basement rooms to bring them to a fantastic standard. I am glad to hear you are enjoying the new room.

And yes you are completely right about the tea/coffee facilities to be better advertised as an additional cost. Reception staff have now been re-trained to ask guests over the phone / email if they wish to have facilities included in their room. It is also now visible when booking via our website.

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for leaving us a lovely review.

Bal Sandhu
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I just loved the hotel super clean and the service is fantastic . Located in nice peaceful area and the view is great. The room is very clean and the bathroom is super clean . I really love everything about this hotel and specially the staff .very helpful very friendly and everyone has got a constant smile on their face

Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

We are always happy to hear from a happy customer. Please contact us directly and we will ensure you receive a great rate next time you are in Glasgow.

Bal Sandhu
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked my weekend stay at the Belhaven to visit family and friends in Glasgow. I wanted a quiet location in the West End within easy reach of Byres Road and the Belhaven provided this. The terrace on which the hotel is situated is quite a tight squeeze for cars but it is possible to get parked fairly nearby. The hotel is comfortable and the room I stayed in was spotlessly clean with crisp white bed linen and a superbly powerful hot shower in an equally spotless white bathroom.

The staff are very friendly and the service was good. Hot breakfasts were served quickly and were well-cooked, tasty and filling. Another real plus is the proximity of the Royal Botanic Garden which is just across the road and well worth a visit for a relaxing stroll after breakfast. Byres road is no more than a five minute walk.

My only criticism is the lack of a kettle and tea making facilities in the bedrooms. There is a café/bar that is open until 11 but if you've had a long, busy day out, you really want to just be able to relax in your room and make tea (well, I do anyway but my wild party days are long gone ...) . The night porter was on duty when I got back after 11pm and was very obliging with sorting out a mug and hot water so I could have a herbal tea but I would have preferred to be able to deal with that myself in my own room.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and have already booked in for a return visit. I'm very pleased to have found the Belhaven as it will be a great base for trips to Glasgow.

Room Tip: I opted for a single superior room which was well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo