“Good city centre base”

Ranked #70 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Harwich, United Kingdom
“Good city centre base”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We travelled to Glasgow by train and arrived at Queen Street station. The hotel is a five minute walk past George Square.

Although we arrived two hours earlier than the scheduled check in, our room was ready and we were allowed in straight away. We were asked at reception if we were planning on doing the city site seeing tour, and when we said yes were given two money off vouchers..

Our room was small and didnt have much of a view, but it is a city centre hotel so what do you expect? Massive room with views of the mountains!!?

It was functional for our needs, clean and reasonably priced. We were in the back so didnt hear any noise from the street, but if you dont want noise, dont stay in the middle of a city!

We were close to everything we required for our first visit to Glasgow when we wanted to cram as much in to the one day we were there.

Would recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hoopsHarwich
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and kind comments.

I hope that we have the opportunity to look after you again in the future.

Kind regards

Monica Docherty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This hotel is well below average Mercure standards. Room was very small, several stains of dirt could be noticed on the carpet including a couple of chewing gums stuck on it. Marks and scratches all over the wall paper. There was no ventilation in the toilet and in the room therefore the window had to stay constantly open bringing in all the noise from outside. The hotel furniture looks tired and outdated, overall the whole establishment is desperate for a full refitting. Breakfast is mediocre and served in the depressing basement by under skilled waiters. Hotel website advertise "free wi-fi in the room" but it is actually only available in the hotel lounge. Car park is a patch of muddy land surrounded by overgrown vegetation in the back of the hotel where customers are charged £6 per day to leave their cars at their own risk.
Spending a night in this hotel, be prepared to be waken up during the night by loud music and people shouting from nearby bars and clubs.
Only advantage of this hotel is its very central location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City.
I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay.
Please be assured that very direct action will be taken to ensure that these issues are rectified as quickly as possible.
I have instigated the necessary steps to ensure that the information relating to the WiFi connection in the bedrooms is amended, thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I do hope that this experience has not put you off staying with Mercure hotels in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Staff very helpful. Hotel in a great location but this also works against it as its very noisy especially if the room is at the front of the hotel with buses pulling up and driving off until the early hours. The room we had was very pokey, the phone didn't work and the toilet didn't flush properly. The staff promptly came to fix the phone and attempted to fix the toilet however it later stopped working again. The staff provided us with a bigger room but this was very noisy. The light and the iron in the new room failed to work. Given the lateness of the move I was tired and past caring. The bathroom fixings were very old and tired and the plug chain was tired around the tap. The mattress was very uncomfortable and there was a hair on the pillow. Not something I'd expect from a 3 star hotel. I'll never stay at a Mecure again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and comments.
I am pleased that you found the staff to be helpful.
I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations, certainly poor standards of cleanliness are not acceptable and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the houskeeping team for relevant re training.
I can only apologise for the shortcomings you have experienced and I do hope that you will give Mercure hotels another chance in the future.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Mercure city hotel is well placed near to George Square in Glasgow city centre. The hotel is not a 'standard' Mercure, by which I mean it has been taken over from another chain and this means that some of the features are not up to Accor groups normal standard. The rooms do not have any room cooling systems and the windows in the room I had were sealed, so had it been very hot I feel the room would have been very uncomfortable. If you have a room facing the road you can expect some noise from outside, especially at weekends although it didn't cause me too much disruption. I would stay here again, but only if the price was right with a special deal.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Julianbuckingham
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you very much for your review and comments.
The hotel location is ideal for exploring the city.
Unfortunately, the hotel does not have air conditioning installed, perhaps this will be considered as part of a future project.
We can provide fans where required on request.
Thanks again for your review, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to look after you in the future.
Kind regards
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Warning bells should have rung when I arrived and was told there was no record of my booking. Luckily I had printed my confirmation, which also showed I had pre-paid! No apologies from the staff - I was simply told 'we'll fit you in'.
The bedroom was in dire need of a makeover. There was a large gap at the end of the bath between it and the wall, and the wallpaper was filthy.
The fire alarm sounded twice during the night, which I understand was perhaps not the hotel's fault, but I feel we should have been offered at least a complimentary drink to make up for the double evacuation.
I left my room on the Saturday at 9am and returned at 3.30pm to a still dirty room. When I complained to reception I was told housekeeping were still working. I requested clean towels, which I got, and when I left my room at 4.30pm, I hung the 'please clean' sign on the door. When I returned later that night my room still hadn't been cleaned.
My friends were staying in another room of the hotel and when they checked in, they found a teabag in the bedroom toilet! I have stayed in plenty of hotels over the years but the housekeeping in this one left a lot to be desired.
When I checked out on Sunday morning the receptionist didn't even bother to ask if I'd enjoyed my stay. My guess is the usual response to that question is 'NO'!
Would I stay here again? No
Would I recommend it? Certainly not. The location is good but there are many other better quality hotels (where they actually clean your room!) in just as central a location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Glasgow City.

I can only apologise for the shortcomings that you experienced during your stay, Please be assured that this is not indicative of our usual standards and that appropriate action has been taken to ensure no repeat of this situation.

It is a shame that we were not able to redeem ourselves through management intervention at the time of your stay.
I sincerely hope that this incident has not permanently marred your opinion of Mercure Hotels for any future stays.
London, UK
Reviewed 1 August 2012

You get what you pay for as they say. So do not expect luxury from this hotel. But its good for what it is. Rooms were tidy, staff efficient. Good location, just a moments walk from the main square in town.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and comments.
I am pleased that you found everything you needed at the hotel and you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you again soon
Thanks again