“Staff was icing on the cake.”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 November 2012

With my Partner staying at the Mecure Glasgow City Hotel for a part of 1 year anniversary and when you look at the hotel from outside it does look a bit dated, But this isn't really the Mecure fault as it was previously the Ramada Jarvis. But we arrived inside the stylish looking reception and the receptionist was more than helpful and told us about the amenities that where on offer. The rooms where a bit small but the bed was comfy and the bathroom was quite large so we didn't mind. We needed more toiletries which i went down to reception and a young gentlemen on reception was more than happy to help get some when he couldn't find them at the desk we didn't get to try all the amenities out as we where only here 1 night. Also after celebrating our anniversary we slept in, as we where 10 mins checking out the receptionist was ever so helpful and didn't us a dressing down. The young girl also asked if i would like her to call me a taxi to the station or hold my luggage which i have never had be asked before but i thought it was really helpful and kind of her. And the location is just perfect next to the upmarket Merchant City famous for nice designer shops and restaurants. Overall a amazing stay and it goes to show that nice staff can make a difference to your trip. Will be back for sure! Kudos to the staff. Great Value for money!

1  Thank Craig_C2
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and kind comments.
It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will ensure I pass on your comments to the team.
I was pleased that you were comfortable during your stay with us and that you found everything that you needed.

I hope that we have the pleasure of looking after you again in the future.

Monica Docherty

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed 29 November 2012

We stayed at the Mercure on a recent trip to Glasgow. This was our second stay at this particular hotel.
Good points:
Staff - very friendly, welcoming and attentive. Could not fault the staff at all. Jennifer checked us in and was particularly helpful and friendly.
Location - excellent. Very central and near to the merchant city.
Value for money - taking into account this is a hotel in a city centre location it definitely provides value for money.
Room - they are very compact but they have everything you need so if only staying one night, it's more than adequate.

Not so good points (please note I've intentionally avoided saying bad):
Noise - surprisingly despite it's central location, the noise wasn't from outside the hotel, it was inside. We were on the top floor and our room was located furthest from the lift but we were still awoken several times throughout the night with the noise of the lift. The walls are also very thin, to the extent I could here the person in the room next to us taking clothes off the hangars in the morning.
Shower - what shower?! We could not use it as the pressure was non existent, barely a trickle. We only noticed this in the morning as had used the bath the night before. We did mention to reception who were very apologetic but by that time it was too late to do anything.

All that said, I can forgive the not so good stuff as this is outweighed by the fact that overall this is a good hotel. We would return.

Room Tip: I think the excessive lift noise may have been due to being on the top floor so I'd probably say...

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your review and comments regarding your stay.
Thank you for your comments about the staff, in particular Jennifer, and I shall pass on your comments.

It is unfortunate that your stay was disturbed by noise, we are currently working on a project to replace and soundproof all of the bedroom doors which should hopefully reduce the noise emanating from the corridor.
We have been unable to recreate the problem you describe with the shower, at this point, we can only attribute this to high demand. It is unfortunate that this was not reported to the hotel team at the time, there may have been a localised pressure problem which could have been resolved.

Thanks again for your comments and I will look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Glasgow.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for me and my partner on our one year and I was amazed how something as easy as having good staff coul have such an impact in our celebration.

It just had it all ;

. Was cheap
.Replenished the toiletries as required
. Very kind staff
. Rooms we coasy
.Everything was well explained
.Got an extension on our room (until 1) and although we were 10 min late, the receptionist was still as helpful as always.

I would deffenetly recomend this hotel to my loved ones.

• Stayed: November 2012
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel.
i am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and had a comfortable stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will share this with the team.

Hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Hotel is centrally situated, reception staff efficient and friendly, room size ideal and a perfect place to centre our trip for dinner and concert. We had friends with us in a standard twin and it was great to have opening drinks in the suite before venturing out.
Likewise upon return we hosted a nightcap get-together after the show...
at end of the night (early morning really) our bed was absolutely wonderful, excellent comfort and a great size, in keeping with the room..
However, rooms at the back suffer from noise ingress from the clubs close by, and our room at the front became overwhelmed by noise from the bus and taxi crowds in Ingram street.
Breakfast - dissappointing.. We had indicated on booking, and confirmed at check-in that due to my Wifes coeliac disease there was a dietary requirement which was ackowledged at the front counter. However, the breakfast staff had no clue of the problem, and the kitchen staff had not been briefed and had no suitable foodstuffs in stock. 10GBP for a breakfast consisting of a pot of coffee and a lonely poached egg was not good value at all... By far our worst experience in any Mercure hotel so far.
We are due to stay here again in 2013, already booked ... I think some slightly harsh words will have to be spoken to get the breakfast that we deserve...
good point was the off street private parking, not overly secure, but good enough for us, there was a 6GBP charge that we didnt know about at the booking stage, but did remember from a previous visit...
Overall, enjoyable stay

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay at the hotel.

I am pleased that you decided to return and were able to take advantage of the larger suite room.

I can only apologise for the shortcomings you experienced at breakfast. We can usually provide for any dietary requirements guests may have and certainly with notice, this should be no problem. Therefore I will be investigating this matter further with the team on duty.
Certainly, any guest with coeliac disease should be able to take full advantage of the breakfast buffet that is offered. There are suitable cereals, juices, fresh fruit and some of the hot items on the buffet are also suitable. In addition, we are happy to provide breakfast freshly cooked to order should that be required.

I am sure that on your next visit, we will be able to meet your dietary expectations, I am sorry that it was not the case on this occasion.

I do look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 28 November 2012

For a tourist the location couldn't be handier, however I wish I had known that the hotel was right next to the Corinthian Club! The music went on until 6am and I got NO sleep! Check where your room is before booking.

Staff were great. Rooms ok. Funny unwashed smell in bathroom though.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City.
I am sorry that the noise from our City centre disturbed your stay, we are located in the heart of the city but we do work closely with the local pubs and clubs to try and keep the noise level to a minimum.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking with Mercure hotels in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I went here with my husband just there we were meant to stay 2 nights but had to come home early, this is a great hotel, the staff are very helpful. The location is great as you are close to most things. We go to Glasgow quite alot so would certainly stay here again. The rooms were a little bit small but i brought a weekend bag and a rucksack I felt there was plenty of room, the heating was on for us also so after walking in the rain the room was cosy for us going into, the bed was a normal double and we ended up having a good nights sleep. Very happy with this hotel and would recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 216 not a good view but there was no noise from the street
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable in the room.

Thank you for your recommendation and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Stayed here on business in early November and the location was great, pretty much in the centre of Glasgow with easy access to shops, restaurants and the likes.

As I say the location is great but getting there by car is a bit of a nightmare. I was using 2 Sat Navs and both were telling be to casually beaver on up a bus lane which i really didn't want to do, no matter what I tried the sat nav's were taking me back to the same road. Out of confusion and frustration I called the hotel to see if they could help, the could not, even though they knew where i was they couldn't advise the best route to take. Note to hotel, this could be a really simple item to add into your next staff training session. Anyway by complete accident on my part I did end up turning into a bus lane (albeit 10 yards of it) so I'm expecting a lovely fine from Glasgow City Council to be dropped through the door any time now. Nobody’s fault but mine, but just be warned.

For the accommodation, the room was adequate if not a little small. had everything I needed including an Iron and hair dryer, both cam in very handy drying out my clothes after a wander around the city - you can't trust the weather in Glasgow I was soaked through!!

Although the room was fairly clean i couldn't help but think they could have made a little bit more effort getting into the corners, it was all a little grubby, but the bedding and bathroom was clean and that's all i needed.

Taking a peak out of the window to see what delights Glasgow had to offer I was faced with a lovely grey wall and equally grim roof top area. There was a bottle of champagne on the roof which triggered the old imagination, wondering how on earth it had got there, so all was not lost.

They have a nice big car park and I was advised to get there early to get a space, which i did, however i don't think it ever reached filling up during my stay. It did however fill with water so again be warned, park around the edges avoid the middle of the car park, I had to wade through a good 3 inch of water in a lake sized puddle to get my car.

Breakfast was great, lots of choice and good quality.

So in short - Good hotel, just don't look too closely for dirt and great location, if you can get there by car avoiding fines.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review and feedback abour your stay at the hotel.

I am sorry that you found the hotel difficult to find. The hotel website has details of the best directional approach to the hotel when driving to the city.
Glasgow City Centre is a grid of one way streets and satellite navigation systems do not always show bus lanes on traffic routes. It is unusual that the hotel staff would be unable to help as we often take calls at reception to direct guests who have become lost within the one way system. However, the sales teams are not located at the hotel so perhaps your call was connected to one of those.

I was pleased that, overall, you had a good stay and would hope to welcome you back to Mercure Glasgow City again in the future.