“Good location pity about everything else!”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #71 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had stayed at the one in Exeter which is of an excellent standard so we felt this must be a similar standard to be part of the same group - how wrong we were!
Steps to get into the entrance which is just annoying and unnecessary as they could have easily have not had them, also the lifts only went to this floor and not into the basement where the restaurant was which means I don't know how wheelchair guests are meant to get to this floor, probably by some service lift!
Anyway, we booked a double room but it was by far the smallest hotel we have ever stayed in, I think it was made as a single room but they have now put a double bed in it ! Hardly any floor space in it, could barely sit at the dressing table as there was hardly any room to pull out the chair, before it hit the bed!
The bed was also far too soft and spongy and the view was just of the back of the next building which was only a few feet away and barely allowed any light into the room!
The bathroom was ok, just about, although the toilet was behind the door which had to be shut to sit on the toilet! The water though was scalding hot so had to be careful when filling the sink!
No biscuits with the tea/ coffee and only 2 x tea bags - very tight where Marks Hotel had biscuits and the ability to make at least 6 cups of tea or coffee !
Normally we have found the breakfasts to be very good and on the first day I ordered eggs benedict which was quite runny and tasty. However the second day we ordered poached eggs and a soft boiled egg- well this obviously is challenging for the chef! It took over 20 minutes to arrive, when asked why we were told chef is very busy- there was hardly anyone in the restaurant at the time , so not sure what he was busy with and anyway, why is that our problem when all he needed was some boiling water and some eggs! Needless to say when the eggs arrived they were hard boiled and inedible!
Worryingly , on both mornings we found the corridors outside our room on the fifth floor, full of bags of linen and towels, once piled in front of the lifts and partly blocking the fire exit, the next day all laid out along the corridors next to the rooms. This wasn't just linen for the room changes, this was a stockpile , easy enough for every room in the hotel and I don't know whether this was repeated on every floor as we didn't go to any other floors, but it would have presented a real hazard to anyone trying to escape in a fire and it wasn't like it was only there for 10 mins as it was there when we went down for breakfast and still there when we went out for the day a couple of hours later!
We won't be staying here again, there is certainly a lot more choice of hotels in Glasgow, and we should have stayed at the Marks hotel which is just as central but much better standard! We will also be wary of other Mercure hotels now as this is leagues behind its sister hotel in Exeter!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to remove the steps from the front door of the hotel. There is not enough space available to achieve the required gradient. It is something that we have considered in the past. As an alternative measure, there is a platform elevator next to the main entrance which allows wheelchair users access to the main ground floor and basement levels.
The hotel is an older building which does mean that the room sizes can vary.

I am sorry for the issues encountered at breakfast, we normally receive very good feedback about the breakfast team. I have passed your comments onto the chef for immediate redress.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 27 September 2013

The hotel has a great position in the centre of Glasgow and the exterior/reception area is very smart and typical Mercure. The hotel has car parking but I didnt manage to find it and the hotel needs signs outside or details on the reservation email to make it clearer.

My room was quite small by Mercure standards and it definitely needed a facelift. The bed was rather lumpy and didnt give me a good nights sleep. The hotel has different Wifi rates but the free rate was ok for emails.

The breakfast was disappointing - why do so many hotels spoil breakfast with a buffet! I was the first person down for breakfast but the bacon was already dry & just warm as were the potatoes and eggs and where was the haggis or black pudding? The food seemed of good quality so why ruin it by leaving it to spoil!

1  Thank John_The_Miner
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the hotel.

I shall pass on your comments regarding the car park to the eCommerce team who will be able to investigate the possibility of adding directions onto the reservation. The website currently has the facility to access and download the directions on a portable document format for printing, smartphone or other portable device. Unfortunately, the hotel location prevents the addition of any external signage as this requires permission from the local council and there are several ways to approach the hotel.

I am sorry for the shortcomings you experienced, particularly with regards to breakfast. I have passed your comments to the appropriate teams for immediate redress.

Thanks again for your comments, I hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I held a weekend event here for a number of delegates. The value was excellent for a city center hotel, close to all the amenities. Although the hotel itself is a little dated the rooms are comfortable enough. The staff were the real bonus for this hotel, friendly, helpful and able.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the alley that runs down the side of this hotel. It can be very noisy when t...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that your event was a success.

Thank you for your comments on the staff, I will ensure I share your feedback with the team.

Thanks again

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My initial impression of the room was just how small, shabby and hot it was. The window was open but all that did was let in the load buzzing of the air con outlet which is one of my absolute pet hates!!
The bathroom was quite shabby and tired too but overall it had everything we needed, the bed was comfy and everything worked.
I had a pretty bad nights sleep due to the noise outside and in, I'm not sure if it was just air con but it was a constant loud electrical noise all night, like a fan or something and although the window was shut to try and help it just made the room really hot.

It's a shame as the location can not be faulted, it's so prefect being right in the city centre and the staff we encountered were very helpful and pleasant. Also the parking is a bonus too and I don't really mind the charge either as we always travel by car.

Basically as a couple looking for a nice weekend away the basic double didn't really suit but I'd probably stay here again if I were on a big night out simply for the location and I'd just hope that the alcohol would send me off into a drunken coma so that the noise didn't bother me. I only paid £60 too so what more could you expect.
Also there are better rooms that you can up grade too so maybe these would be a lot better.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet your expectations and that you didn't enjoy your stay.
The building is of an older design which means that the room sizes can vary. Noise is a very emotive issue and I am sorry if your stay was spoiled by this. I am unsure what would be causing an electrical noise and will ask the hotel maintenance to look into this.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Service and attention to detail by all staff was exemplory, courtious and friendly.
This was a deul celebration for primary need of attending a wedding at a city centre venue and a belatent anniversary celebration..
I thought the attention and outstandingly good manners of the gentleman who served our meal were exemplory and worthy of specific mention and he is a merit to your organisation. This was our second visit and will not be our last.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I will be sure to share this with the rest of the team.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

This hotels location is superb for any visitor that hasnt been to glasgow this would be perfect as its right next to train stations, shops and much more. The rooms are small but clean and come with everything you need including a kettle, phones, tv and iron and iron board. There is a 24 hour bar which gives excelent service and will deliver to your room for a small charge. Free room wifi. We booked a double room and were very surprised how quiet the rooms are and how comfortable the bed is. Bathroom was good but shower was a bit low considering im 5-5 I think a tall person may find it harder to stand and shower. Excelent hotel and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will ensure I share this with the rest of the team.

Thanks again

Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is a city centre hotel. Fine for a night.

The rooms are ok. The usual TV, tea//coffee and bathroom. Nothing special. The bathroom needed the skirting boards cleaning as they were very grubby. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.

The food is adequate. Fine if you are staying there and don't want to eat out. I had a pasta dish which was tasty. The cheese selection was expensive for what it was and there were no grapes.

The breakfast was fine. The usual cooked selection. I asked for two poached eggs and hey were fine.

The service in the hotel was good. The staff were very polite and the man serving food in the evening was very good and deserves a mention.

I would stay again for business as it is centrally located and handy; but next time I will eat out for my revenging meal as there are plenty of good value restaurants near by.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back as the front ones over look a main street.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback especially concerning the staff and I will share this with the rest of the team.