“One Night at the Mercure Glasgow”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Having booked a concert at the Hydro we needed a city centre hotel with parking. After reading some previous poor reviews we were a bit wary, however we had a great stay here. Yes the room was small but was very good, quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We had great service from Gary at the bar, who gave us good advice not to take a taxi but walk down the lane and take the train to the Hydro (SECC) from Argyle Street, this actually worked exceptionally well in both directions, we would never have known do to this. The cooked breakfast was also very good with a great freshly cooked choice, and the staff led by Margaret were exceptionally friendly in the morning. The offsite parking is secure and good value at £6 a day.

All in all a good value for money hotel, would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

It is always great to hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay with us and I do hope that you will come to stay with us again in the future.

I will ensure that I share your comments with Gary and Margaret, they will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, as will the rest of the team.

Thanks again

Reviewed 29 October 2013

checkin,checkout and breakfast all very efficient. all staff very friendly.compact double room on 2nd floor at back.no view as such but didnt matter as was only staying one night.was quiet and bed very comfortable.would definetly stay again!

1  Thank casper1967

Dear Guest

I was so pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I will certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Glasgow City in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed recently for two nights on business. The reception is bright and inviting but this stops when you get out of the lift and see the dowdy decor and grotty corridor carpets. The rooms are very small and you sit on the bed to use the desk as there is no room to use the provided stool. The TV picture was fuzzy and there is only a limited range of channels. The bathroom was OK but the shower was rather feeble and the shower curtain did a poor job. My colleague had a cracked sink in his room. The windows were filthy and it was impossible to open them to get any fresh air. The bed was very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. Breakfast was a disappointing buffet although you could order freshly cooked poached eggs. The "fried" eggs were especially poor (they were hard both mornings) and I saw people frequently asking for items that had run out. All in all, this was the worst hotel that I have used in Glasgow to date and that includes the soulless Holiday Inn Express. The Mercure is way overpriced for what you get and I shan't be going back there.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room either (a) change hotels or (b) specify room not on Ingram St.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that the hotel failed to meet your expectations. I have passed on your comments to the housekeeping team and we will implement changes where we can to improve.

With regards to breakfast, I have passed on your comments to the food and beverage department so they also can ensure the buffet is always topped up and ample for guests to select from. Additionally, we can provide a table service with choices made from the menu if so desired.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off staying at other Mercure properties in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

had a fantastic stay here. enjoyed everything about my visit. the offsite parking is good value at £6 a day.
our room though small was very good, and the bed was very comfortable.
the breakfast was very good. there was not a massive choice, like some other hotels, but what there was, was excellent, especially the cooked breakfast.
my wife and i loved having a drink and relaxing, watching everyone go past.
all in all a good value for money hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and had everything that you needed.

It was great that you enjoyed breakfast and I do hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

very clean.staff friendly.excellent location.very friendly check in and out.restaurant looked very nice , but did not use.close to george square and merchant city which as some great bars and places to eat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the hotel.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable during your time with us. The hotel certainly has an ideal location within the Merchant City area of town, very handy for all the local amenities.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel for five nights, it is well located in the city centre towards the edge of the Merchant City area.
The hotel was very reasonably priced for the location during a popular week, I had thought that because this hotel was one of the few not fully booked that it would be at the lower end, but none of it; it was actually a pleasant stay.
As some other reviewers have said the rooms show some edge signs of wear and are rather small, you need to watch your elbows and feet .... but they were also much cleaner and comfortable than many of the more expensive hotels in the area that I have used previously.
What made the visit for me was the absolute helpulness of the staff - nothing was too much trouble (despite my repeated secretarial / business office requirements at all hours) and they dealt with all my multiple room lock-outs in good part.
The restaurant / breakfast offerings were well prepared and of good quality.
All in all an excellent hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable during your time with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will ensure I share this with the rest of the team.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We booked this hotel as we wanted a fairly cheap but nice hotel in the city centre. That is exactly what we got. The decor in the corridor upstairs was a little dated but the rooms were lovely and appear to have been refurbished. The staff were excellent. They let us store up bikes overnight and our luggage the next day. We had to move room due to a leak and this was handled extremely well with complimentary drinks whilst we waited for an alternative room. The alternative room was a Suite - more than we had paid for! And the cost of car parking was knocked off for us too. Although £6 for 24 hours is pretty reasonable anyway. Overall a nice hotel for a very reasonable cost and excellent customer service.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the issue you had was well handled.

I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.