“Xmas Break”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #71 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 29 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Budget hotel, budget room. I have not seen any of the other rooms in the hotel, but ours on the 5th floor was tiny and this would put me off returning, so ask for a bigger room. Check in and out was easy and efficient. Fabulous location right in the centre of Glasgow, and for one night it is acceptable, but I have to say because of the size of our room, I don't think I personally will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We were unlucky with the size of our room, so make sure you ask for a good room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

The hotel is of an older design and as such the room sizes can vary slightly.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel, it is a shame that we did not have an opportunity to discuss your issues at the time of your stay.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Your sincerely

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Had booked a works Christmas Party here and decided to stay over. As I booked everything in person I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful.On checking in everything was fully explained from where breakfast would be served to where the party would be held. The room was small but cosy and very clean. Ideal for an overnight stay. There was a good sized bath and a powerful shower with plenty of clean towels. The only thing missing was a shower cap among the toiletries. The bed was very comfortable. I thought that there might be some noise as it is a city centre hotel but this was not the case. The party night was great and the meal was excellent. On arriving for breakfast I was asked "if I had stayed before" when I stated "no" everything was fully explained and shown to me which I found very helpful. The breakfast was very good and there was plenty to choose from. You could also order from the menu if you didn't want something from the buffet. I chose the buffet and everything was hot and fresh although the toaster took a bit of working out. I would certainly return the next time I have a night out or special occasion

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your experience at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the party night you attended. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will ensure I share this with the rest of the team.

Shower caps are not provided as part of the standard room set up. They are part of the enhanced toiletries. We would have been happy to provide one for you if required.

Thanks again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Glasgow City in the future.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Despite not actually staying in the hotel, I saw enough of it to be able to review it. My work had a Christmas night out, which cost us £26. Expected a little more for the money we paid (even a drink on arrival would have been nice) and more of a choice on what to eat. We had one choice of starter (tomato soup), one choice of dessert (chocolate Yule log), and three choices of mains- and I didn't particularly like any of them. I don't eat Turkey, or Fish (the choice was salmon), so i was left with the vegetarian option, which wasn't anything special and I hardly touched it. We shared a small function room with another group of people, and both groups were split between two tables each. The two halves of our party were at opposite ends of the room from each other. The drinks were completely over priced too. I'm quite an outgoing person, I like enjoying myself, so after dinner we were having a bit of a dance. I was drinking vodka and diet coke, and they were poring the diet coke out of a plastic bottle- yet you didn't get much change from £10 for 2! I'd had about four drinks, and as i went to get myself another, both bar men stood and laughed, one had to walk away for laughing and the other said "or you could try some water" - personally I was disgusted. The carpet in the hotel was old fashioned and the furniture was cheap. Bit of a let down, just glad I didn't stay all night.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your party night and that your experience did not match your expectations, this year we have been receiving very positive feedback about the party nights.

The hotel Christmas brochure is sent to print and published eight months before the Christmas events take place so I am surprised that you were unaware of the menu prior to the night. We may have been able to offer you an alternative had we been aware of your requirements at the time.

Our prices are competitive within the local market and are indicative of the establishments within our sector.

Thanks again for your feedback

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Arrived this evening to a warm welcome after checking out early after a dreadful experience at a neighbouring hotel. The reception guy and other staff are efficient and accommodating. I have stayed here many times on business but have never written a review. The location is central, the rooms and beds are comfortable and clean and the staff have always been helpful. Look no further for a good place to stay in central Glasgow.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your continued support. I am sorry to hear about your previous bad experience, I do hope that this has not put you off visiting Glasgow in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and will ensure I pass on your comments to the rest of the team.

Thanks again

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel is in a great Location for shopping, eating and drinking in Glasgow City Centre. Right in the centre just a stone throw away from Buchan Street, Argyle Street and Sauchihal Street it makes for a great stay. The only drawback is due to it being so central you do get some noise from local bars especially first thing in the morning clearing out bottles etc... The rooms are small but cosy and clean and staff very friendly. When eating breakfast i'd definitley chose from the menu as the buffet didn't have a great choice. All in all a nice hotel in need of some upgrade but the location certainly makes up for that.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and were able to take advantage of the hotel's ideal location for all that the centre of Glasgow has to offer.

I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed for a single night whilst on a night out. Check in was fine, no issues. Room was small but expected this having read other reviews. But it was clean, warm with a decent bed. Bathroom was again adequate although there was no hot water when I arrived at 3:30pm! But there was plenty in the morning for a shower.

Ingram Street is busy but it is bang central so everything you would need is there or a short walk. For location alone this is a good hotel. But it does ramp up the noise so my advice is to request a room on a high floor (6 or 7) and to the rear of the building. That means no view but perhaps a better sleep.

I've scored average as it is, but that doesn't mean bad. It delivers an adequate stay at a good price for city centre.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry for the hot water situation. Although I am unable to reconcile your comments with any known problem with the hot water so can only presume at this time that there was high demand on the system which may have caused a temporary issue with delivery.

I am glad that you were satisfied with your stay overall and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Glasgow City in the future.

Kind regards