“Huge Disaster”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Two words - lousy and loud! I found this to be a great location, but ultimately would not recommend it to anyone due to significant noise and lousy service. We wanted a nice weekend in Glasgow as a 1st experience and honestly found the hotel almost ruining the entire trip...the cathedral in Glasgow is superb, but please find another hotel to see all the sites in Glasgow

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at Mercure Glasgow City.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that the hotel failed to meet your expectations. It is a shame that we were unable to discuss your issues at the time of your stay.

I hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Yours sincerely

Monica Docherty

Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The room was cramped and had an unpleasant smell. There was significant noise throughout the night in the hotel. The service at breakfast wasn't particularly. I checked out a day early and wasn't asked why, so in a hurry I mailed a complaint later and to be fair I received an apologetic reply the same day but that was that. I stay in Glasgow a lot and I'm never sure what hotel I can get booked as it gets really busy but I won't be using this place again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and it is unfortunate that our subsequent communication has been unable to restore your faith in the hotel.

It is unfortunate that we were unable to redeem ourselves at the time of your stay through management intervention. I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here a few times and I grew to like the hotel and more and more mostly because of the perfect location in the middle of Merchant City with restaurants and bars all around you. Also, the very heart of the shopping district and stone's throw from the exchange with the infamous statue of Wellington that always has a cone on its head.

Rooms are smaller here than some of the other purpose built hotels towards the motorway, but that should be expected as it is an old building right in the middle of the town centre. The room size is however perfectly acceptable but they will vary from room to room as they are not all uniform.

Each room has what you would expect including flat-screen television, hairdryer, iron plus ironing board, complementary tea and coffee and Mercure branded shower gel / shampoo.

The beds in the twin rooms can feel a little cramped but maybe that's because I'm so used to sleeping in king size (and larger) beds. All very clean.

I would echo some of the other comments made here that some of the rooms do need a refurbishment. I had one room with a severely wobbly toilet - as soon as you sat it on the whole base moved and made you wonder if it was about to come away from the wall. Fortunately it did not. No issues in any of the other rooms.

Staff are great, very friendly (that's Glasgow for you though!) and genuinely seem to care. Breakfast very good with a broad selection on offer including fried breakfasts, yoghurt, cereals and so on. Easy to get poached eggs too (just ask). Nice tea and coffee too.

Free Wifi in the rooms is also very welcome and good to see Mercure are not charging for what is now an essential service in any hotel.

Frustratingly there is a beggar who's regular spot is just outside the hotel to the right (as you face it). Very polite in his begging but he's always there and gets a bit wearing if you are a regular visitor as he asks every guest leaving or entering. Hopefully will be resolved by the hotel management working with the local police - I have never felt threatened or unsafe by him however he was having a fight with another beggar one night in the side alley!

It's also quite easy to get down to the River Clyde for an early morning run from the hotel (turn right out of the hotel and take the next right).

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor and ask for one facing the side alley
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review and feedback on your stay at the hotel.

We will be looking to implement changes or improvements where possible. In the mean time, thank you for your continued support, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had booked for 2 nights and paid £70 per night with breakfast not included in price which was a turn down. The food and breakfast was very good but pricey. The TV needs lot of improvement had only freeview channels and unclear to watch. The tv remote in our room wasnt working and we had to call twice before someone showed up for a new remote. Could hear noises of people talking outside our room late at night which disturbed us. The room should have had a complimentary bottle of water.The staff was helpful and pleasant.The room could use a better heating.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and for the issues that you mention in your review.

We will take your comments and make improvements where possible.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking with other Mercure properties in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having stayed two years ago and reviewed then I was very pleasantly surprised to be greeted by
the same excellent staff .They made my stay very comfortable - I normally do not take breakfast
in a hotel but I was offered a half price deal if booked the night before .The selection of food
was very wide and ordered porridge ,smoked haddock with poached egg .This was cooked to perfection and I will certainly being enjoying the breakfast next time I stay .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and continued support.

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will ensure that I share this with the rest of the team.

I do hope that you will stay with us again should you be in the area.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and thought the location, parking and customer service were really good. The rooms however are in desperate need of improvement (really awful shower, poor decor) and the wifi signal (whilst free) was unreliable. Great beds though. Overall value was okay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

We will take your comments on board and make improvements where possible.

I was pleased that you were able to take advantage of the hotels ideal location and found the service to be good. I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in a double room (single use). The staff was very helpful and friendly throughout the stay. The bed was wonderfully comfortable and the room had everything you'd need (safe, iron+board, hair dryer, wifi, bathtub, kettle+tea…). However, I am taking two points off because the radiator in the room made the most awful noises at the most terrible of the times (on one instance it woke me up at 6AM on a weekend…), having the room next to the elevator shaft only added noise, also I ordered room service on my first night, a cheeseburger, and it was not very good (very dry, overcooked patty…).

I would however return to this hotel, but to a room with a quiet radiator.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the elevator shaft, it is also very loud (not just the radiator).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

I am sorry for the issues that you experienced during your stay, I do hope that we had the opportunity to discuss these at the time you stayed so that we can ensure we are consistent in delivering good service by implemented any improvements necessary.

I do hope that this did not detract too much from your stay and otherwise enjoyed your trip to Glasgow.