“Ok”

Ranked #70 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Clemmons, North Carolina
“Ok”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed there for two nights. Good location in center city. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room very small but clean. Bathroom again small but adequate. No real complaints because price was right and beds were good. WiFi is free but slow. You can upgrade to high speed at additional cost.....we did not. Very good restaurants nearby.....Tony Macaroni for Italian and Mussel Inn for seafood. If you like mussels, Mussel Inn is a must but make reservations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C and L L
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of the hotels ideal location.

I do hope that you will decide to stay with us again should you be in the area.

Monica Docherty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My partner and I have stayed here at least 4 or 5 times in the past couple of years and we honestly couldn't fault it. Actually we have just booked to go again in a couple of weeks.

The staff are excellent and very friendly, some of the rooms may not be huge but they are certainly ok for the price you are paying, we have always found them clean and very comfortable.

The hotel is in a brilliant location and it has a car park which guests can use, (I think its £6 a day, very cheap for Glasgow).

To be honest, if im staying in Glasgow, I always book here first as its so convenient for us.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Crg13
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found everything you needed. The hotel location does make us an ideal choice for Glasgow as everything is very close by indeed!

Thank you for your continued support and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Thanks again

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a business trip. Arrived very late at night from a taxi direct from the airport, which cost about 25 pounds, 6 pound more than the hotel website said it would! Was not treated as an accor member for an old looking hotel set in the west of the city centre. No extras offered, so straight to my standard room on 4th floor. The room was small, with small ensuite and very few extras, with no air conditioning and a central radiator unit that constantly made noise all night. The bed was fine, but a strange smell, the noise of the central heating and the creaking bed made for an uncomfortable night. The wi-fi did not work, breakfast was not offered but seemed pricy for not much and i was ignored as i checked out when dropping off the key. Saving grace? Great shower! But for the price, it was very disappointing

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that the hotel failed to meet your expectations. The hotel is of an older design and this means that the room sizes can vary and whilst our weather conditions in Scotland do not normally warrant air conditioning, we can provide fans to bedrooms where required.

Poor standards of housekeeping, maintenance and customer service are not acceptable and I will pass your comments onto the relevant departments for immediate redress.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Monica Docherty

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My Son and his girlfriend stayed here last weekend. They arrived a bit before check in and the receptionist said that if they wanted to check in at that point the only room they had was very small so they decided to wait until the correct check in time but unfortunately they think they were given that room anyway as they had to walk sideways to get through the space between the dressing table and the bed. The extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work which they reported to the receptionist and was told the next day that someone had looked at it and to fix it would mean calling in an electrician but they could shower in a different room if they wanted to!!! Why didn't they just offer them another room in the first place. This hotel is in a great location but this is all that is great about it. My husband and myself stayed here when it was The Ramada and it was fine which was why, unfortunately, I recommended it but it's definitely gone downhill and none of us will be going back.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LesleykScotland
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow city hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, the hotel is of an older design and this can mean that the room sizes can vary.
The hotel is fully air serviced at all times, whilst it may not alwyas be apparent, the vents are working continuously with the primary extraction system. We have found following your stay that the booster fans installed in some bedrooms need to be removed and we are currently looking at alternative options at the moment.
I am sorry for any inconvenience that was caused as a result of this.

It is a shame that you say you will not return to the hotel, it is a pity we were unable to redeem ourselves at the time of your stay through management intervention however, I thank you for your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great location, right in the middle of Glasglow. The rooms themselves were basics, small, two single beds with limited room around the walls. I slept ok with the bed not that great Staff were ok, could had been more helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet your expectations and that you did not enjoy your stay.

The hotel is of an older design and this means that the room sizes can vary. Perhaps we could have offered you some alternative options had we been aware that you were unhappy.

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

As a regular visitor to Glasgow, I am normally happy to stay in another hotel. This weekend, it was full, so I was booked into the Mercure City. Also very convenient for the city - this was quite different. I had a suite which was very comfortable and warm (given that it was -8 that weekend!)

The service was excellent, and I used the concierge facility to leave my bag while visiting some touristy locations on the Saturday.

Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and you were comfortable during your time with us. The hotel has an ideal location for exploring the city centre and taking in the sights of Glasgow.

I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Great staff, very helpful, friendly and attentive. Breakfast wasn't fantastic, all food overcooked, dinner was a bit better. Definitely get what you pay for here. My room was very small, and did not feel clean. Although I am sure it was hoovered, I was hesitant to take my shoes off and walk on the carpet, which going by the pattern and colours looked like it hadn't been changed since the late 70s. The hallways also made me feel like I was stepping back in time, and there was extensive wear and tear on skirting boards and most wooden furniture, peeling paint/varnish etc. If it were to receive a facelift I am sure it would have changed my entire experience. When reading before going to sleep I had to deal with the horrible buzzing noise coming from the lightbulbs in the room, switching between the two different options every 5-10 minutes just to hear a different type of buzz as they each became too frustrating after a while. I also found the floors to be very thin and could hear people walking above me for most of the night - this is of course nobody's fault, it just added to the overall experience. Beds were very comfortable, however. Would possibly return if a refurbishment took place, but unlikely. I always thought Mercure were a good few steps above budget hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid street-facing rooms for less noise at night, particularly on weekends
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and that the hotel failed to meet your expectations. I will ensure your comments are passed on for inclusion in any future planned refurbishment programme.

I appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.