“A big disappointment”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #74 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed recently for two nights whilst on business trip.I cannot fault the hotel staff who were friendly and attentive but there were a number of things wrong which I had to raise with the duty managers and eventually the General Manager.All my complaints were taken seriously and a substantial refund was given from my bill without my asking for it.If my suggestions for ways to improve things are actioned then I can see that this busy,central hotel will be worth another visit as it had its good points,but overall I left after a far from satisfactory two night stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sloncek
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you once again, for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, as you know, I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Monica Docherty

Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here for three nights whilst visiting my boyfriend in Glasgow. We wanted a hotel near to the centre and also near to the train station and the location was really perfect. However due to this , on our first night (Friday night) we had a room which was at the front of the hotel and it was SO noisy. I am not a light sleeper but me and my boyfriend both couldn't sleep. The room was so hot we had to have the window open which made matters a lot worse. I understand the hotel is near the centre so it would be noisy but this really was unbearable. I asked if we could be moved and although not overly apologetic we did get moved to a much quieter room and also given a fan which was nice.
The rooms are pretty basic but ours was clean and for the money I was say it was worth what we paid.
The breakfast was my highlight, there was lots of choice and you could order items from the kitchen as well.
I would stay here again but not in a front facing room!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissHove
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that the first night of your stay was spoiled by noise however I was pleased that a satisfactory resolution was offered for the remainder of your stay and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

The hotel certainly has an ideal location for exploring the sights of Glasgow and local amenities.

Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

So we booked this room last Minute, for a night out we had planned. Knew the hotel as walked passed it many times before but never been in.

The reception and public areas were great, clean and tidy. Reception was helpful too

The room was small.it was front facing, but small.. You could barely walk around the bed. Saying that, the bed was extremely comfy!!!!

The walls and window frame were very grubby, fingerprints all around the windowsill and dust everywhere. This didn't impact on our stay but it was ashame.

The bathroom was big, and the shower was great. No complaints there!

Overall, I'd stay again but only for a bargain price... Much better hotels in Glasgow for the regular rate they charge.

P.s checkout at the weekend is 12 noon!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I was pleased that you were able to take advantage of the hotels ideal location within the city and I do hope that you enjoyed your night out in town.

Of course, poor standards of housekeeping are not acceptable and I will ensure I pass on your comments to the housekeeping team for immediate redress.

Thanks once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for one night on the way north because my preferred Premier Inn nearby was full. I'd arrived by bus from the airport and the hotel is only a couple of 'blocks' away from Queen Street station, and even close to the main shopping centre of Glasgow. The welcome was friendly enough from the chap on reception but the room I had stank heavily of cigarette smoke. The towel did too - I don't think it was a previous resident, it's more likely that this floor (3rd floor) was a smoking floor before the law changed and the hotel did not fork out the cash to have the rooms deep cleaned. As other reviewers have said, rooms on the 'off street' side face into the air con machinery. The secondary glazing is not that good at keeping it out of hearing but I'm a reasonably good sleeper with background noise so it didn't worry me too much. If you need to sleep with the window open though it may bother you. Toilet and shower was ok, and clean (apart from the smokey towels). TV was one of those pain in the ar$e sets where you need to go through endless menus to get the tv channels fired up but it was at least working. Breakfast in the morning was an expensive affair (over £13) for a simple buffet breakfast (not as good as Premier Inn). Poor value - I recommend, given the location to the city centre, you eat breakfast OUT in the morning. So bottom line is this place is fine if location is key for you, less good if you want a bit of comfort, food or value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City.

I am sorry that your allocated room had smelled strongly of smoke, I am sure that we would have been able to offer you an alternative for your stay. The hotel has not had smoking rooms available to guests since 2007. Although all the rooms have non smoking signage, regrettably, sometimes guests do not adhere to these guidelines.

The buffet at breakfast is a selection of the items which are the most popular, enabling a speedier service. For guests who have a little more time or prefer a wider selection, there is a menu available on each table, from which guests are able to order additional items such as fish, cheese, meats etc. to order.

I do hope that this experience has not put booking other Mercure hotels in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Nice public face in this hotel. Reception staff very good and friendly. The location near to George Sq is superb. Room was quite large but a bit dated it has to be said. Would stay here again purely for the location. Nice little hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the hotel's ideal location.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here on two occasions as the position in the city and the value was very good. However the rooms are very tired and run down not to mention very small. It is also a very noisy hotel with lots of noise coming in from outside eg air con motors and late night revelers. The second time I stayed there I was given my room key and ended up walking in on some poor man on the toilet wondering what I was doing in his room.
The staff I found to be excellent and very helpful so that was great.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations, and for the confusion surrounding your room allocation.

The hotel is an older building and this means that the room sizes can vary.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Spent a most pleasant week end in the city recently visiting relatives and wasvery happy with our choice of hotel.The staff especially on the desk were first class and could not have been more helpful or obliging.The hotel is ideally situated for the main part of the city and transport was easily accessed from it.
The bedroom was smaller than we would have liked but was perfectly comfortable and spotlessly clean.The meals were also very good though the dining room downstairs was not the ideal place for a meal.
Overall a pleasant hotel to stay in mainly because of the staff

Room Tip: Ask for as large a room as is available