“Good location, convenient and comfortable”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Glasgow City Mercure is a decent hotel and I will probably stay there again. The staff are extremely friendly and well-trained.

I've stayed in two different rooms there: a standard room, with the usual amenities for a three star hotel - no minibar, but an integrated ironing board / trouser press (useful); an excellent, comfortable bed. Good shower/ bathroom with soft towels and toiletries. I've also stayed in the Superior room: bigger bed - enormous bed actually - complimentary robes, slippers and so on - but no ironing board (I have to iron shirts every time I stay away) - but reception brought me one as soon as I asked for it.

The restaurant is small but there's really no need to eat there given the large number of local eateries. For breakfast it's fine.

It's two minutes' walk from Queen Street Station. There are lots of excellent restaurants and bars within five minutes' walk. It's a nice quiet area too, even though it is in the city centre. A good night's sleep is guaranteed.

Summary: an excellent mid-priced hotel, easy to get to and convenient. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and were able to take advantage of the hotel's ideal location.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I have just stayed two nights here and can not praise highly enough the staff who are very friendly and helpful,and,the food at breakfast is well cooked and plentiful. The rooms are very clean but they are very small and the lack of drawers in the room were the only faults I would mention.Overall enjoyed our stay .

Room Tip: One not facing the main thoroughfare ie Ingram Street
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will ensure that I share this with the rest of the team.

The hotel is of an older design and this means that the room sizes can vary.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed there one night. The room and the service were very good. No complaints whatsoever. And its location is just perfect. You leave the hotel and you are straight downtown Glasgow. I can recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the hotel location. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will ensure I share this with the rest of the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Thanks again

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night, the hotel itself is good and of good standard with a really solid location. I stayed in one of the rooms facing the street which was very loud all night with traffic, I would maybe ask for a higher floor to avoid this.
My main issue with the hotel was a serious lack of interest from the desk staff, I told her my company had booked me into a closed hotel(shocking by the way) and asked if they had a room , I got a Luke warm response to my plight so immediately left to check for another hotel. As I couldn't find one I had no choice but to come here.
Once I changed I asked the same person for some restaurant recommendations to which again I got a Luke warm response and a rather presumptuous one at that offering me tgi Friday's and spoons pub, I did say restaurant? However she mentioned di maggios which was a nice Italians to go to by the way.
Overall not bad but could be so much better if they improved customer interaction levels.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your company booked you into a closed hotel. I'm not sure how that could have happened!
The hotel has got and ideal location and I am pleased you were able to take advantage of that.
It's disappointing that you felt you were not welcomed, I am sure that this was not the intention, however, I will follow this up with the front office team. Some of our reception team are very new and still finding their feet within the city. That said, we do have experienced managers who are able to advise if required.

I do hope that this experience had not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 25 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed recently for two nights whilst on business trip.I cannot fault the hotel staff who were friendly and attentive but there were a number of things wrong which I had to raise with the duty managers and eventually the General Manager.All my complaints were taken seriously and a substantial refund was given from my bill without my asking for it.If my suggestions for ways to improve things are actioned then I can see that this busy,central hotel will be worth another visit as it had its good points,but overall I left after a far from satisfactory two night stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sloncek
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you once again, for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, as you know, I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here for three nights whilst visiting my boyfriend in Glasgow. We wanted a hotel near to the centre and also near to the train station and the location was really perfect. However due to this , on our first night (Friday night) we had a room which was at the front of the hotel and it was SO noisy. I am not a light sleeper but me and my boyfriend both couldn't sleep. The room was so hot we had to have the window open which made matters a lot worse. I understand the hotel is near the centre so it would be noisy but this really was unbearable. I asked if we could be moved and although not overly apologetic we did get moved to a much quieter room and also given a fan which was nice.
The rooms are pretty basic but ours was clean and for the money I was say it was worth what we paid.
The breakfast was my highlight, there was lots of choice and you could order items from the kitchen as well.
I would stay here again but not in a front facing room!

1  Thank MissHove
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that the first night of your stay was spoiled by noise however I was pleased that a satisfactory resolution was offered for the remainder of your stay and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

The hotel certainly has an ideal location for exploring the sights of Glasgow and local amenities.

Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards