“Great location, tiniest bedrooms ever”

Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed during the commonwealth games, booked via the "games package" which meant pot luck with your hotel. Would not stay here again. It is right next door to the casino, whose clients used the steps of the hotel as overspill so the hotel had to lock the main doors for security! The noise is so bad the only option is to close the (very old metal framed) windows, which did manage to block out most of it. However the room is so small we very quickly ran out of air and a good nights sleep became an impossible dream. The room is so small there was literally not even any drawers to unpack our clothes into. There was no space to keep suitcases so it all became a bit of a trial.
On the plus side the staff were very polite and helpful and the breakfast was a fantastic selection of hot and cold food. Unfortunately this did not make up for the inadequacies of the hotel building itself. Time for an upgrade Mercure!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and facing other internal walls - this was very noisy so can't imagine...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel. I was disappointed that the hotel failed to meet your expectations and that you did not enjoy your stay.

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games was a busy period for the hotel and indeed the city centre saw a massive increase in foot fall due to visitors to the city and participants, spectators and media attending the games. Inevitably the immediate locale of the hotel was much busier than it normally would be during this time.

The hotel is an older building and this means that the room sizes can vary. I appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a business trip for 2 nights (04/08-06/08). The hotel was very easy to find from Glasgow Central Station and the lady on reception provided a lovely welcome. The hotel is very small but provides everything you'd need for a business trip. I stayed in room 507 (5th floor) and it was very small, this didn't bother me much as I only needed the room to sleep but for anybody looking to spend time in their room I really wouldn't recommend this hotel. My view was non-existant; I just closed the curtains as I was just facing another window - again this didn't personally bother me but would probably bother others. The bathroom was fine and shower was lovely and hot, bed was comfy & tv worked great - the complimentary tea and coffee facilities were also great. My one negative comment about the hotel, and what would make me not visit again was the noise. Not from the outside but from the hotel itself. The walls are so thin and rooms so cramped that you can hear everything from your neighbours, particularly showers. I barely slept the first night because of doors slamming, shouting in the corridors & just general noise from outside the rooms. There was a considerable sized gap between my door & the floor which meant you could literally hear everything. Overall the hotel is OK but because of these disturbances I wouldn't stay again. The hotel is also quite old & definitely in need of a revamp. Location is fantastic though. Breakfast was quite poor with not much selection but for a budget hotel it was satisfactory. I'd just like to add that the staff here are excellent, everybody is extremely helpful and makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed: August 2014
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expections. As part on an ongoing improvement program, the bedroom doors will be replaced which will hopefully reduce the noise from the corridor.

I do hope that this experience has not put you off booking other Mercure properties in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here 18-21/7. The staff are really helpful & friendly, a credit to the hotel. The hotels location is excellent, a great base to explore Glasgow from. Very close to casino,bars, clubs, restaurants & shops etc. The breakfast is good, & there's plenty of choice. The only negative is that the rooms (or my double in particular ) , are VERY small!! There is everything in them, but it's a bit of a tight squeeze. Yes, some of the hotel is tired & needs refurbishing, but these negatives are far outweighed by it's location. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room they have!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. The hotel is of an older design and as such room sizes can vary.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Current day rate at this hotel is £350. For this you get a stuffy small room with a grubby-looking carpet where you’ll struggle to move around the bed and have the added bonus of an en-suite with cracked basin and bath. It’s well situated for the city centre and has good, friendly staff. One only hopes that the super-profits gained during the Commonwealth Games are used to replace the sanitary ware and install air conditioning.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DP55_12
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Glasgow City Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The building is "modern" and clashes with its surroundings. The Bedroom was small and stuffy and had no air conditioning and if you used the shower the whole place steamed up. The only ventilation was a 12cm gap in the window. Food OK and staff pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
1  Thank Keith W

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and comments on your stay at the Mercure Glasgow City hotel.

The hotel is of an older design and this means the room sizes can vary. Unfortunately, air conditioning is not installed however, we can provide fans if this helps. The windows in most bedrooms do open fully once the safety restrictors are released.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 10 nights during the Commonwealth Games and really can't complain about anything. Wonderful staff, terrific breakfast and a great room. I asked for a quiet room as I was working very early in the morning and I couldn't have been happier - tucked away on the top floor and far away from the lift I didn't hear a thing despite the thousands of people on the street outside.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stopped by this hotel for lunch on a hot and busy day. What a delight! A calm and airconditioned dining area, comfy seats and a menu providing just what we wanted and needed. The service was absolutely first class - so much so we went back again later for drinks and again for afternoon tea. We were not let down. The facilities are not extensive but the rooms are clean and tidy. But what made this place was the staff - Kirsty and Gary were just excellent. I would have no hesitiation about going back or staying. If you want a light bite then do not walk past - it's just as good as some of the surrounding restauarants and certainly no any more expensive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest

I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Glasgow.