“Great for a few days sight seeing” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great for a few days sight seeing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in August, even though they were refurbishing the hotel, they did their best to keep the disruption to a minimum.

The hotel is very close to a metro station and this enabled us to travel all over Glasgow, it is opposite the science museum and within walking distance to a couple of others. We were on the 14th floor so had agreat view. The room was a good size, toiletries, tea, coffee and biscuits were always provided. We paid 200 pounds for the 3 nights including breakfast (the breakfasts were first rate, with lots of choice, including porridege), which was a great deal, though I think it was because we stayed outside the conference season.

We also used the pool and gym which were fine, but they do need a disabled changing room, as I had to leave my son who has a disability to change himself in the mens changing room.

The staff weren't overly friendly, but they did their jobs well and I think this was due to the large coach party checking in.

I would stay here again, I wouldn't pay full rate, but definitely would with the offer rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor if you like a view and don't mind hights
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Thankyou for your review following your stay in August. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and found the hotel well located for touring and seeing the sights.

We are working on introducing dedicated Disabled Facilities in the Club. More to follow on this at a later date.

Regards

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

This hotel is fine, with reasonable rooms that are clean and practical. The hotel is definitely tired around the edges, with old carpets, scuffed furniture and old CRT televisions in the rooms. The bathrooms could also use a refresh. Nice public areas, mediocre gym/pool, but nice to get these facilities at all I guess. I would say this hotel is a solid 3*. Obviously good location for the SECC. Surprised to have to pay £6 to park in this out of town location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scruffybags
Thankyou for posting a review. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay as much we would have hoped. As you may be aware , we have just completed a major refurbishment of our public areas and we are now in the planning stages of revisiting some of the bedrooms.

With regard to the carpark, a nominal charge is made which is reflected in our bedroom rates which proves popular with guests who don't travel to us by car. We are also confident that the charges are comparable, if not lowere than other major hotels in the City.

Despite this, I do hope you will visit again soon.

Bristol, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed here for a week while I was running a conference at the SECC next door. The hotel being so close meant it was the natural choice. I found the hotel comfortable and with the amenities you'd expect from a decent 4 star hotel.

Two issues: the fan in the room wasn't much cop and didn't feel like air con. So not good for during the summer. Plus, no safe in the room! This is a big surprise for a 4 star hotel and the management need to fix this.

Otherwise, very nice breakfasts. Decent bar but a bit cramped in the lobby area. Gym ok but very small and just off the lobby too.

Room Tip: High up as the views are excellent!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review. You will be pleased tp learn that an extensive programme has just been completed on our AC sytems including the replacement of our main Chillers.This will make a great improvement.

Pleased you liked our breakfasts and that we are adjacent to the SECC. Safes are available in all our Club Rooms and Suites.

Regards

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a week in July. It was ideally located for business conference but was not in the center of town. Had I traveled for pleasure, I would have chosen another location.
The room which we had paid well for was rather small but clean and sufficient. The staff and free breakfast was outstanding. Ironically, I left and consequently booked another day on line at the Crown Plaza. This room was half the price but double the space. Go figure!
The staff assured me that the best rates were on line.

Room Tip: Stick to the lower floors. I had a room there but complained and moved upstairs so that I could see...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Thanks for your review. You are absolutely correct, we offer lowest rates on the internet. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and in particular the breakfast and the staff. Your comments are appreciated.

Baltics
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

It was really average experience - the room was tired and mousy. Location is superb for conference - conference centre is just next door. Breakfast was satisfying.
Windiw can not be opened and air condition was too noisy, so I switched it off for the night and room became airless.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review. Not sure really as to how to reply apart from that I have asked for all the AC units to be checked as we have just completed a major project replacing our chillers.

Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel is a bit down at the heels. The cleaning and bar and restaurantr staff are great.- friendly and helpful. The desk staff is so marginal. A few of t he young wmone are helpful however the men and older womern are dreadful. Sometimes not even answering a question. IT was as if they were there to not be helpful. IF this hotel were not right next to the conference center it would probably have no guests (although I do not think the hotel uses the term "guests") except for flight crerw.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank donnie55
Thankyou for posting a review. I am sorry that something obviously didn't go well with our Reception Team which let the hotel down. Please accept my apologies. I have asked our Front Office Manager to discuss your review with the team and the importance of looking after all of our guests.

On a brighter note, I am pleased that you found the rest of the team worthy of a special mention. Thankyou for that.

Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

First of all, these comments apply only to One Restaurant within the hotel for which I couldn't find any separate listing. And it wasn't worth creating a separate one!

In short - even if you're staying in the hotel - I wouldn't be recommending eating here. I was part of a party of nine on Saturday evening, and I don't think any of us would rush back.

We were seated quickly, drinks orders were taken, menus distributed and food ordered - so far, so good. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where it stopped, too - having ordered dinner at approximately 7.15, the first courses showed up half an hour later with several reminders being needed to get the mains delivered. We'd been thinking about dessert, but ran out of time.

The food itself was okay and the hot table (which was self service) offered a pretty good variety for the price (£21). But there are many more and many better eateries in Glasgow - I'd be looking at one of them first.

To be fair, when the excessive delay was pointed out to management, they offered a discount on the total bill without being asked, a gesture that was appreciated.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for posting a review following your visit to our Restaurant last week. I understand there was a problem on the evening which resulted in slow service. I am genuinely sorry about that. On a brighter note, I am pleased to see that the team reacted in a positive manner. I was also told about it afterwards as well so can assure you that a full debrief took place.
We are currently reviewing our menu as well. I would be grateful if you did consider giving us another try sometime - I am however aware that there is plenty of choice out there.