“Second visit even better than first!”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Spent a Saturday night in wild November weather at the Crowne Plaza to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and were really chuffed to be upgraded to one of the 15th floor Club Rooms with free access to the Club Lounge - and all because I'm a member of the Priority Club scheme! Beautiful rooms with taffeta curtains, a huge bed with comfy mattress topper and at least a king size with lots of nice little extras like fluffy bathrobes and flip-flops. Brilliant blackout curtains with no side gaps to let the light in and waken us too early, so we had a verrrrryyyy relaxing night's sleep - didn't need any of the aromatherapy sleeping aids in the bathroom to help. As before, we appreciated the huge reception area, not least for the friendliness of staff including Chevaune, Christine and Jakub, but also for the buzz, the great atmosphere with the dining room incorporated and the piano bar. The panoramic elevator is also great fun and the views from the 15th floor were tremendous. We took the train from Glasgow Central Station to the Exhibition Centre station and, although it was quite a trek from the station into the hotel, it was mainly under a covered walkway / exhibition centre...and very cheap! It's a smashing little luxury for weekends away and an experience we like to repeat every now and then!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go Club class on 15th and 16th floors.
2  Thank traveller2454
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

What a great review and a belated happy anniversary.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to avail of the club lounge on the 15th floor. I have passed on your kind comments to the staff concerned. Thanks for that.

Hope to see you again soon.

Dominic McVey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,420)

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We arrived at Queen Street station and walked on to Central Station where we took a train right to the SECC station, with a five minute walk to hotel. We booked in and paid for an upgrade to a larger room with separate living room, this came with toweling robes and slippers etc and we also got a voucher for one free drink from the bar, more of that later. It was a corner suite and had two aspects of the river and was large and well-appointed. I was surprised that the two televisions were the old 'fat' style rather than flat screens that I am used to when staying at hotels and B&Bs, however I expect that these are being renewed on a rolling basis. I certainly hope so.

I saw that the robes and slippers were not in evidence so rang down to housekeeping to ask them to send some up, plus extra milk cartons. This request was carried out within five minutes.

The bathroom was large and incuded a bidet too. The shower (over bath) proved to be powerful.

We changed in to swimming costumes and robes and went to the swimming pool. Quite large, with a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There was also a gym. I would have liked comfortable chairs or loungers and tables to sit on, but there was no room for these.

We realised that we would have no time to go out of the hotel for a meal before our concert and I think that this was a down-side of staying here. However, we booked the evening buffet, £35 for two. Reasonable choices and great bread and pate. Before going for our meal we went to the bar and I ordered two drinks, one of which would be paid for with the voucher. I mentioned to the barmaid that I assumed that the most expensive drink would be the 'free' one and she replied that this was not hotel policy and that the cheapest drink would be free. Not at all pleased at this policy. If hotel manager is reading this review, I strongly suggest he ensures that this policy is discontinued as it is penny-pinching. My advice to other guests who are given a voucher for a free drink is to buy the expensive one separately from the others. It should not be necessary to do that, however.

After our dinner we walked straight along to the venue. It was a really convenient, particularly as the weather was awful, strong winds and rainstorm. After the concert it was a quick undercover walk back to the hotel where we could have stopped for a leisurely drink in the bar, but opted to go upstairs for hot chocolate in our room. We both slept well, though the next morning I had a migraine. Thankfully there is a shop by reception and my husband was able to get me painkillers. Additionally, the late checkout (12 noon) meant that I could rest as much as possible before travelling home.

We will use this hotel again if attending a concert at the SECC, and recomment it to other people.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thankyou for posting a review following your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I note your comment about the complimentary drinks voucher. It is normal practise, in many
restaurants and hotels to have similar terms and coditions, but I have passed your feedback on to our marketing department for their consideration.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back before long.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hotel staff efficient and polite,room clean and comfortable, only complaint couple of lights not working. covered walkway from carpark to reception and to secc which is great no need to take coat.Swimming pool and spa excellent. Meal in bar very good. Had to queue for short while for breakfast table, don't know if they were short staffed but there was a shortage of plates and food, not a problem for us as we were not in a hurry. I would certainly book this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for a great review. Not sure what happened at breakfast - hope you weren't inconvenienced too much.
We look forward to welcoming you back before long.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have eaten now in the restaurant here 3 times and cant express how impressed I am. We had the Buffet for £19.99. The food and selection is excellent and even the fussiest of eaters would find something. It is always piping hot and you see fresh plates being added frequently. There is a chef to hand and is glad to help you with any questions about the food and you can go up as many times as you want so I would recommend not eating the day you go.
The staff and service are second to none and even on a very busy Saturday night your not rushed and the person looking after you is more than help you with anything. The manager (David) is a lovely guy and recognised us from a previous visit giving us a great table which always makes it that bit more special. I am looking forward to my next visit already.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

What a great review - thankyou so much.

I was particularly pleased to read of the Service you get. I will ensure that David and his team are fully aware of your kind words.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

After making an early reservation I was disappointed to find, that had I waited a few months longer I would have paid a considerable amount less. On telephoning and expressing my displeasure, the young lady assured me she would endeavour to provide an upgrade as well as offering free parking. As this was a 25th anniversary gift, I was delighted to find the room had indeed been upgraded to a suite.
The staff were helpful, polite and professional and I thank the head of internal reservations who was absolutely true to her word and made the night very memorable.......did I mention the room was 1501 with views to die for. Thank you. Scottish hospitality at its best.

2  Thank brenhen

Thanks for your review and I am pleased that we were able to make your special day even more of special.

Please do come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

Stayed one night. 25th Nov 2011.

Service: Way too busy. Had to queue 20 minutes to check-in, due to a large presence of athletes checkin' in, with only 2 staff. Staff very friendly under a lot of pressure.

Value: Overall, Excellent! Breakfast and dinner were fantastic. I thought £7.00 for a glass of wine was a little steep to say the least though!

Sleep Quality: One word; Amazing! Beds were Stunning! I want one!

Cleanliness: First Class!

Location: As I live in Glasgow, not an issue!

Rooms: ( 114 ) Again, exceptional quality, worth the money alone!

Overall, this was an excellent stay. The rooms, food and staff made the stay very pleassurable. Yes, the rooms could do with better TVs, the Jaccuzi was smaller than a £20 Argos paddling pool and wine, at £7.00 a glass, I though Dick Turpin was serving me. These small things do tarnish your stay. However, still a lovely stay. Thanks!

Room Tip: Take your own wine and drink in your room.
Reviewed 25 November 2011

My husband & I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights primarily to attend a concert at the SECC for which it is ideal. We had booked a club room but on arrival were told that we had been upgraded to a suite which was a very nice touch & still enabled us to access the club lounge. (We used this one evening when it was very busy & were surprised at how cramped the room was although the member of staff on duty told us that he had never seen the room so full . It did however seem to be too small for its purpose) Reception was very efficient even though it was very busy when we arrived due to delegates from a conference also checking in. Our suite was good although about six inches curtain was hanging off the curtain rail on one of the windows in the lounge ( due to a lack of curtain hooks I believe) & a piece skirting board had not been fitted behind the loonge door revealing bare plaster. Minor points but impressions count. (For the management we stayed in romm 801.) The breakfast experience was good but could have been better. On our first morning we had to queue for about 10 mins before being allocated a table & on both mornings the milk jug & preserve stand on our table were not replenished before our arrival & I had to ask the staff for this to happen. Again, this lets standards down. The buffet breakfast offered a good selection. The only other food that we ate was a bar meal one evening which was nicely presented & good. We used the excellent train system to gain access to Glasgow city centre which was efficient & we felt completely safe although as I woman I maybe would not like to walk through the connecting tunnel to SECC station on my own at night. Off peak return tickets to Glasgow Central station cost £1.40 although for our full day Glasgow we bought Roundabout tickets costing £5.60 which gave us unlimited access to the local trains & subway system. Worth visiting is the Riverside Museum which is about a mile away from the hotel along The Clyde. To summarise, whilst not being perfect we thoroughly enjoyed our stay & would certainly consider returning especially if attending the SECC.

1  Thank cgsb

Thankyou for your review. The points raised about Suite 801 have now been actioned - thanks for highlighting them.
As you quite correcly mentioned, the Hotel was very busy during your stay which does result in some waiting times at peak times. I do hope you were not too inconvenienced about this.
Good advice about the travel.