“Average hotel, OK for conferences, but that's about it”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Derby, United Kingdom
“Average hotel, OK for conferences, but that's about it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

This is a large business / conference hotel, in between major conference facilities, and with conference facilities of its own. It's a fairly standard hotel, some public areas getting a bit 'tired'. Its a rambling place, and the signage could be much better. As for the rooms, again they're quite tired looking. Everything works fine, including heating / cooling, but nothing special. Sleep quality is compromised by hearing everyone else's plumbing during the night. No safe in the room.

There is a fairly decent fitness facility, quite popular. Bar area is OK, but limited choice of beers (if you like traditional beer you will be disappointed). Don't expect any complimentary nibbles either (which would be offered at the lowliest of European hotels) - you pay for your nuts here!

There is WiFi, as long as you're prepared to pay £7 /day for smart phone access. This is really disappointing, its not the cheapest of hotels, and many lower priced chains now offer this as standard.

An evening function as part of a conference went fine, the food was tasty and prepared well. The breakfasts were OK - no porridge on offer, in Scotland I thought this was the law!

Overall, unless I was attending a conference here again I wouldn't choose to return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Thanks for your review. I have asked our Food and Beverage manager to look into the Real Ale. If there is enough demand for it we will seriously consider it. I have also asked about the Porridge - you are right - it is a "must have" here, not sure why not available when you stayed.

I am pleased you enjoyed your meal at the evening function.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Dalbeattie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Spent a Saturday night in wild November weather at the Crowne Plaza to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and were really chuffed to be upgraded to one of the 15th floor Club Rooms with free access to the Club Lounge - and all because I'm a member of the Priority Club scheme! Beautiful rooms with taffeta curtains, a huge bed with comfy mattress topper and at least a king size with lots of nice little extras like fluffy bathrobes and flip-flops. Brilliant blackout curtains with no side gaps to let the light in and waken us too early, so we had a verrrrryyyy relaxing night's sleep - didn't need any of the aromatherapy sleeping aids in the bathroom to help. As before, we appreciated the huge reception area, not least for the friendliness of staff including Chevaune, Christine and Jakub, but also for the buzz, the great atmosphere with the dining room incorporated and the piano bar. The panoramic elevator is also great fun and the views from the 15th floor were tremendous. We took the train from Glasgow Central Station to the Exhibition Centre station and, although it was quite a trek from the station into the hotel, it was mainly under a covered walkway / exhibition centre...and very cheap! It's a smashing little luxury for weekends away and an experience we like to repeat every now and then!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go Club class on 15th and 16th floors.
2 Thank traveller2454
What a great review and a belated happy anniversary.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to avail of the club lounge on the 15th floor. I have passed on your kind comments to the staff concerned. Thanks for that.

Hope to see you again soon.

Falkirk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We arrived at Queen Street station and walked on to Central Station where we took a train right to the SECC station, with a five minute walk to hotel. We booked in and paid for an upgrade to a larger room with separate living room, this came with toweling robes and slippers etc and we also got a voucher for one free drink from the bar, more of that later. It was a corner suite and had two aspects of the river and was large and well-appointed. I was surprised that the two televisions were the old 'fat' style rather than flat screens that I am used to when staying at hotels and B&Bs, however I expect that these are being renewed on a rolling basis. I certainly hope so.

I saw that the robes and slippers were not in evidence so rang down to housekeeping to ask them to send some up, plus extra milk cartons. This request was carried out within five minutes.

The bathroom was large and incuded a bidet too. The shower (over bath) proved to be powerful.

We changed in to swimming costumes and robes and went to the swimming pool. Quite large, with a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There was also a gym. I would have liked comfortable chairs or loungers and tables to sit on, but there was no room for these.

We realised that we would have no time to go out of the hotel for a meal before our concert and I think that this was a down-side of staying here. However, we booked the evening buffet, £35 for two. Reasonable choices and great bread and pate. Before going for our meal we went to the bar and I ordered two drinks, one of which would be paid for with the voucher. I mentioned to the barmaid that I assumed that the most expensive drink would be the 'free' one and she replied that this was not hotel policy and that the cheapest drink would be free. Not at all pleased at this policy. If hotel manager is reading this review, I strongly suggest he ensures that this policy is discontinued as it is penny-pinching. My advice to other guests who are given a voucher for a free drink is to buy the expensive one separately from the others. It should not be necessary to do that, however.

After our dinner we walked straight along to the venue. It was a really convenient, particularly as the weather was awful, strong winds and rainstorm. After the concert it was a quick undercover walk back to the hotel where we could have stopped for a leisurely drink in the bar, but opted to go upstairs for hot chocolate in our room. We both slept well, though the next morning I had a migraine. Thankfully there is a shop by reception and my husband was able to get me painkillers. Additionally, the late checkout (12 noon) meant that I could rest as much as possible before travelling home.

We will use this hotel again if attending a concert at the SECC, and recomment it to other people.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thankyou for posting a review following your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I note your comment about the complimentary drinks voucher. It is normal practise, in many
restaurants and hotels to have similar terms and coditions, but I have passed your feedback on to our marketing department for their consideration.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back before long.

scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hotel staff efficient and polite,room clean and comfortable, only complaint couple of lights not working. covered walkway from carpark to reception and to secc which is great no need to take coat.Swimming pool and spa excellent. Meal in bar very good. Had to queue for short while for breakfast table, don't know if they were short staffed but there was a shortage of plates and food, not a problem for us as we were not in a hurry. I would certainly book this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for a great review. Not sure what happened at breakfast - hope you weren't inconvenienced too much.
We look forward to welcoming you back before long.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have eaten now in the restaurant here 3 times and cant express how impressed I am. We had the Buffet for £19.99. The food and selection is excellent and even the fussiest of eaters would find something. It is always piping hot and you see fresh plates being added frequently. There is a chef to hand and is glad to help you with any questions about the food and you can go up as many times as you want so I would recommend not eating the day you go.
The staff and service are second to none and even on a very busy Saturday night your not rushed and the person looking after you is more than help you with anything. The manager (David) is a lovely guy and recognised us from a previous visit giving us a great table which always makes it that bit more special. I am looking forward to my next visit already.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
What a great review - thankyou so much.

I was particularly pleased to read of the Service you get. I will ensure that David and his team are fully aware of your kind words.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

After making an early reservation I was disappointed to find, that had I waited a few months longer I would have paid a considerable amount less. On telephoning and expressing my displeasure, the young lady assured me she would endeavour to provide an upgrade as well as offering free parking. As this was a 25th anniversary gift, I was delighted to find the room had indeed been upgraded to a suite.
The staff were helpful, polite and professional and I thank the head of internal reservations who was absolutely true to her word and made the night very memorable.......did I mention the room was 1501 with views to die for. Thank you. Scottish hospitality at its best.

2 Thank brenhen
Thanks for your review and I am pleased that we were able to make your special day even more of special.

Please do come and stay with us again.

Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Stayed one night. 25th Nov 2011.

Service: Way too busy. Had to queue 20 minutes to check-in, due to a large presence of athletes checkin' in, with only 2 staff. Staff very friendly under a lot of pressure.

Value: Overall, Excellent! Breakfast and dinner were fantastic. I thought £7.00 for a glass of wine was a little steep to say the least though!

Sleep Quality: One word; Amazing! Beds were Stunning! I want one!

Cleanliness: First Class!

Location: As I live in Glasgow, not an issue!

Rooms: ( 114 ) Again, exceptional quality, worth the money alone!

Overall, this was an excellent stay. The rooms, food and staff made the stay very pleassurable. Yes, the rooms could do with better TVs, the Jaccuzi was smaller than a £20 Argos paddling pool and wine, at £7.00 a glass, I though Dick Turpin was serving me. These small things do tarnish your stay. However, still a lovely stay. Thanks!

Room Tip: Take your own wine and drink in your room.