“Excellent hotel”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I've stayed in this hotel many times, as an IC hotels member, I always look for member hotels, so have stayed in most Holiday Inn hotels in Glasgow. This is unbeatable.

I've stayed in standard rooms, club rooms and corner suites, all of which are excellent quality, refurbished and very plush. If you can afford it, go for one of the corner Suites overlooking the River Clyde: Great views, high rooms, club lounge access (quiet and refreshing atmosphere to relax with friends or family with very friendly staff). The Lobby is very modern with a real 'Scottish' feel to it. The bar has everything stocked and a live piano player is there on many occasions. A little shop inside sells many Scottish 'keepsakes' to take home at decent prices.

The hotel is situated beside the SECC (Exhibition centre) where many major concerts are held. It's also in an area of Glasgow which has been recently transformed into something of beauty, right by the Clydeside (river Clyde).

Walking, you can take the bridge over to the science museum, SECC, or many local shops and attractions.

For the city centre, take a walk along the Clydeside or take a short taxi journey to the huge shopping area that is Glasgow.

Private parking available which is gated and secure.

Great place to stay.

Room Tip: Sorry, Spa or Breakfast have still never been tried!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thankyou so much for posting such a positive and comprehensive review. We do genuinely appreciate your regular custom and are pleased that you continue to stay with us,

Dominic McVey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,449)

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I stayed here for two nights, the night before and night of my wedding. Despite the wedding venue being elsewhere, we were upgraded to a suite at a heavily discounted price, and also had a gift of a card and chocs waiting for us on our wedding night. The room was immaculate, food was great at both breakfast and via room service, and we also used the leisure facilities and the spa which were all fantastic. This was my third stay and certainly wont be my last.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thankyou! The title of your review says it all. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you will be back. Also, our belated congratulations.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

A good stay at this hotel, location perfect for the SECC, staff very helpful and professional, service high calibre, rooms as expected, however TV could be updated with more channels. breakfast very good quality with plenty of choice, bar a good atmosphere with prices not too bad for a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thanks for your comments. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Breakfasts ,the atmosphere in the bar and found the prices acceptable.

I hope you will come and visit us again before long.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I visited the Crowne Plaza, Glasgow for 2 nights with my husband and 2 adult children. We booked a double room and 2 singles, the double rooms had a king size bed and the singles had double beds. In the rooms there were tea/coffee making facilities although couldn't understand why there were about a dozen decaffinated coffee sachets and only 1 "normal' coffee sachet, both days. There is a fridge which has 2 bottles of complimentary water in it although you wouldn't know they were complimentary unless you asked. All in all, the rooms were nice but a bit tired. I have stayed in 5 different Glasgow hotels and the breakfast is by far the best in the Crowne Plaza, square sausage, potato scone, haggis etc etc as well as healthy choices and the staff were all friendly. Beware of the prices at the bar - as in all hotels, it was very expensive - 4 glasses of wine and 2 small tubs of pringles - £26!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thankyou for posting a review following your stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your breakfasts so much and that you think that we serve the best breakfast in Glasgow - a great compliment!
With regard to the bar prices, we regularly check all our prices against those of other major hotels in the City and I am confident that we are better value than most.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Room very nice although not hoovered once in my 2 night stay. Awkward coffee making where one has to move tray to plug in on desk. Bathroom had some mould round bath and rubber seal damaged so flooded after shower. Wet bathmat was removed but not replaced. Room radio did not have radio 4.

Breakfast: No newspapers available.Croissants and pastries were shrivelled in an nasty warming cupboard. Surely a hotel of this calibre can get decent baking goods. Horrible sliced bread. Coffee not individual cafetieres but filled from a large batch like dishwater.

Redeeming feature v nice desk staff who found my lost bathrobe quickly. V G access to SECC for conference.

Room Tip: Ask for river view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thankyou for posting a review. I am so sorry that we got so much wrong on this occasion but can assure you that all your comments have been discussed at lenght and most issues rectified. On a brighter note , I am pleased we found your bathrobe promptly and that you found all the staff nice.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here before a concert at the SECC and had a great time. The hotel has beautiful setting on the river and is in an ideal location for seeing the sights in Glasgow> Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the recommendation. Hope you come back again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

When I travel to Glasgow it is mostly for a concert so always try and stay in the Crowne Plaza Glasgow as it is connected to the SECC, and normally have a great stay. Not on this occasion however. When i arrived the staff were not very welcoming which is always a downfall in my opinion. The receptionist left the desk mid check in which i'm guessing was to fix or find another printer as she did not explain her vanishing act! When I got into the room I went to use their wine glasses that they provide in the room, to find them both quite dusty and one to have not been cleaned properly as it had a lipstick mark on it. When I went to the bathroom I noticed one glass which seemed to have a toothpaste mark. I tried to call reception however there was no answer! Must have been too busy. There about 3 or 4 of them behind the desk so i find it difficult to understand how every one of them where to busy to pick uo the telephone! I ordered room service and as I paid for my room and breakfast on the time of arrival. I did not ask to pay I was told "okay so we'll just take payment now" now I don't care weather i pay for my stay on arrival or on departure but don't take a payment from me and then tell me i cant get a pre auth! When my Room service arrived I was told rudly it could not be added onto my room "You have no credit to put it onto your room", so I went to reception to get a pre-authorisation which I was told I couldn't as they already took payment on that card - I work in a hotel and travel quite a lot and had never heard of this not being able to be done, but I may be wrong. So I was told I could PAY a £50 deposit for my extras! Em I dont think so! So I pay £50 and would have to wait to get the money I didn't use back - no thank you! I don't understand why a pre auth coudln't be taken or a payment the next day when I depart. The hotel have my card details, plus I am a Gold Priority Club member i'm hardly not going to pay!!! That's another thing - I am a Gold PC member and when I stayed in that hotel before I got a welcome letter along with a WIFI pin. I understand that WIFI pins might not be getting handed out at the moment but I would like to be welcomed as a loyal customer. The next day I went down for breakfast - to be fair it was pretty busy however i could see a few members of staff walking about achieving quite honestly nothing! I got seated at a dirty table and was told that it would be cleaned shortly. As I said I could see it was busy and did not mind this however I waited and waited and waited for someone to clean my table I then had to go and explain to the girl who seated us that no one had come to clean to table for her to say "agh I will get someone in a second for you". It finally got cleared and I could go and join the queue. The breakfast was nice - not the best but good enough. All in all I had quite an awful stay! It put me in a bad mood the way the staff reacted toward customers.
As I said when I go to Glasgow I always try and stay in the Crowne Plaza when attending the SECC- however after my recent stay I may be choosing the Indigo or Holiday Inn Theatre Land from now on as I like to stay in IHG branded hotels. Its unfortunate as I always preferred Crowne Plaza's but this recent stay has changed my mind.
Sorry Crowne Plaza I expect better from a 4/5 star hotel!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ABK1990

Thank you for your comprehesive review. I am sorry that on this occasion you encountered several issues. There is no excuse for your room not being properly serviced and this has been highlighted to the appropriate department as well as the poor service you received in the restaurant. I am sorry about the confusion over the pre authorisation which you should have been offered on check-in. As a previous guest I am sure you will agree this is not our normal level of service and I hope you will come back and stay with us again.