“Very Friendly Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Orbe
“Very Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

This is a well placed hotel to visit Glasgow and the area around Glasgow.
With easy access to the motorway you can go to the four points of the compass as well as an easy walk into the city centre.
It's nice and quiet and you can park with out problem.
The hotel is a little bit faded and could do with a bit of a freshen up.
The food is very good and the breakfast is not to be missed!
The staff are all very kind and smiling.
The health club is very small.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear guest,

Firstly, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, especially breakfast. Your kind words about breakfast and the food have been passed on to our chef.

Your words about our staff have been forwarded, they often receive great reviews and it makes me very proud whenever they do.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Our room was modern, clean, spacious and comfortable, although the air conditioning was a little noisy. The lobby area was interesting and a good place to relax. The breakfast was exceptionally good, with plenty of choice. Location-wise, it was a little further from the city centre than we had anticipated; however, the city tour bus stopped right outside the hotel. Car parking was plentiful although it was annoying that we had to pay extra for this facility (£6 a day).

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear guest,

I am pleased to hear that your room and breakfast met expectations and I have passed your kind words to our restaurant staff.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dominic McVey,

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Lovely hotel in a great location. Helpful, friendly staff. Really nice room - spacious, comfortable, clean, well laid out, nice view, large bed and everything you could need to hand. Complimentary chocolates, bottles of water, pillow spray and bathrobe all nice touches. Old fashioned television but worked fine. Air conditioning pretty noisy. Fab breakfast (and it made a pleasant change to find the eggs are free range). Afternoon tea included in our deal was lovely. Didn't use the car parking, leisure facilites, restaurant or wifi. Taxi rank right outside was very convenient. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with Crowne Plaza Glasgow.

I am pleased to read that our hotel and staff ensured your stay was as comfortable as it could be. I have passed your kind words on to our restaurant staff about your breakfast and tea and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

I would like to pass on my apologies for the air conditioning being noisy and hope that it did not impair your sleep. I have asked maintenance to try and find out which AC unit is noisy as we have just completed a major project which should have eradicated this issue.

Warwickshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

The Crowne Plaza is a nice hotel in a great location, right on the bank of the river with stunning views. However unhelpful reception staff let the place down.

On arrival, everything appeared sorted until I tried to sort out WiFi access. Turns out that it's not only a tenner a night, but they wouldn't charge it to my room allowance, even though they had the ability to do so. Not had a problem doing that elsewhere, and my paperwork said that was fine. The receptionist wouldn't budge, so I didn't bother arguing any further as £10 was a little steep anyway when I've got a 3G dongle.

When I arrived at the room I was pleased. The room was well laid out, clean and had a decent sized bed. The TV wasn't a modern LCD TV, which is pretty unusual in 2012. The TV remote didn't work very well, but to be honest I wasn't that bothered. Bed was great, air con worked and had a good night's sleep.

The main restaurant was very expensive, so I opted for the lounge bar, which was slightly cheaper at £11 for a simple burger, which at a normal restaurant would be worth £6-8. The food was great as was the service. Both restaurants have a good feel to them, very open and airy. Breakfast was in the main restaurant and was good too.

On checking out, again problems at reception. As I'd flew up I'd not been able to bring all my toiletaries so, I'd had a bare essential put on the room, within my room allowance. Our travel company puts a list together trying to cover all eventualities but this specific item wasn't listed, so the hotel had a big problem with it. I'm not used to that kind of inflexibility, and ended up leaving a little wound up for the day ahead along with running late. As with the check-in, the receptionist was all fake smiles as I politely voiced that I wasn't pleased with how unhelpful they were. A little bit of flexibility or acting in a genuine, honest manner towards guests goes a long way.

It's sad that an otherwise good hotel can be let down by it's staff. I'd stopped in a terrible hotel the week before but thanks to great staff had a pleasant stay. I left the Crowne Plaza Glasgow stressed for the working day. I'd initially thought about coming back here with my family but after reading other comments it seems I'm not alone in finding the reception staff unhelpful. However I'm sure that with a few well placed words management could sort this out and the hotel would be perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This is a recently built tower block hotel some 15 stories high built in the heart of the old shipyards area of Glasgow, which is now rapidly being regenerated to a sort of moderinst culture capital for the city. The panorama lift affords spectacular views which you also get from the higher floor rooms. The reception is cheerful and helpful, the health spa excellent, the restaurant passable (if very expensive for the type of food offered) with first-rate breakfasts. let down a little by prematurely ageing rooms, with a dark furniture with glass tops which is not very child-friendly (the tops can slide) and not particularly appealing. The room I was allocated this week had an ancient television which intitially did not work at all, and was little better when I discovered that somebody had unplugged the arial socket at the wall. The hotel charges for parking, which I always resent, especially as their car park is clearly huge compared tot he typical number of guests. All very clean but some materials in the room showing signs of age. Very comfortable bed, good bathroom with lots of toiletries etc, nice towels. Typical corporate hotel which just makes the 4* rating but charges realistic prices for a very comfortable bed and a good nights sleep after a very good spa experience and a good if pricey meal.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors... it is so high that you need a lift to reach most floors and the views f...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with Crowne Plaza Glasgow. We find our guest’s feedback invaluable as it gives us an insight into how we can improve your stay.

We are very proud of our building and I am pleased to read you found our views ‘spectacular’. I am also glad that your room met expectations and you slept well during your stay and our reception staff were helpful.

In regard to the room furniture the glass tops should all be fixed securely. I have asked maintenance to check all rooms to ensure that this is still the case.

Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Lots of staff around but service a bit slow. Over 10 minutes before we were asked for drink order. Food was very good but took a while to come. Same with table next to us where I noted it was more than 30 minutes for their food to arrive after they had ordered. Restaurant was not that busy at the time so I dread what the service would be like if it was busy. They also do a buffet which really looked good and I would try that next time as there was no waiting.

coatbridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

hotel was nice - rooms clean and very big. breakfast was good

only problem was was money was taken out of my bf account for stuff we didnt purchase and we were then told it was taken as a hold even tho we paid for everything as went and hotel was paid prior to us arriving there - due to this it puts me off returning there

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and that the room was clean and spacious.

It is usual hotel practice to get authorisation from a guest’s credit card on check in to allow a guest the facility of charging items to their room number during their stay. I am sorry this was not explained to you fully as this was not necessary as you paid for any extras with case as you went along. I will discuss with our Reception Manager to ensure this doesn’t happen again.