“Romantic break”

Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glsgow
“Romantic break”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Beautiful river views of Glasgow from our room and from the panoramic lift which goes up the side of the building.Very comfortable, luxurious bedroom with plenty of space. Good room service menu and late check-out. Friendly staff who made us feel very welcome. Next time we go we will make use of the excellent leisure facilities

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay. I’m happy to read that you found our team members to be warm and welcoming as well as enjoying your room. Our landscape really is stunning, I’m glad you managed to enjoy it. I hope to welcome you back soon where you can experience our leisure facilities.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I bought an itison voucher and recently redeemed it. It was for one night bed and breakfast and afternoon tea with bubbly for 2 people. Check in was fine, the room was fine, looked nice enough, was very spacious and was clean although maybe a wee bit dusty.

We went for our Afternoon tea which was for 2, we had a 3rd person with us who was only meeting us for a few hours and planned to have lunch while we were having our afternoon tea. The waitress just looked at her strangely when she explained she was just there to have lunch and when she asked if she could have a glass of whatever we were getting with our afternoon tea and she would pay for it. The waitress barely opened her mouth..if we asked for anything she would come back with it, but never once did she ask how things were or even smile or ask if we wanted anything cleared away! We actually sat at the table for a few hours and went to the bar and ordered more drinks but nobody came and cleared anything away. Also, when one us went to the bar we had to wait for ages to get served, because the two barmaids were loading the dishwasher and seemed to think that was more important than serving a customer!

When i am at at hotel i do not tend to spend much time in the hotel as i tend to be out and about, but this time i spent a lot of time in the hotel as i wasnt feeling too great, so we decided later to have dinner at the hotel and instead of going out just watch a movie there as i had seen on the website they did pay per view movies and it was also stated in there welcome folder, although i couldnt seem to find them. So we decided to go have dinner then find out how to work it.

Dinner was a bit of a disaster...we were not too hungry after our afternoon tea so decided just to share a pizza and some chips. Well the pizza was definately over cooked, it wasnt burnt but we had problems trying to cut it, and we had to result to tearing it apart...we didnt finish it. My jaw was actually sore from trying to chew it. Again, when the waiter/barman brought our pizza i don't think he said one word to us, it was just put down in front of us and that was that! It was completely over priced...i could pay almost half of what i paid for a very good pizza elsewhere. I didn't see the point in commenting on the pizza at the time because i think if people think it is ok to serve that to someone then i would just be wasting my time. It was a real dissapointment after the lovely afternoon tea.

After dinner, i went to ask how to work the pay per view (i have never used it before in any hotel as i usually go out). I was told they no longer have it because they now have new TV's with Freeview! Well in that case it should not be advertised on there website and stated in there folder. If i had known i would of had dinner earlier and then went out!

The next morning we went for breakfast, where we had to stand in a queue for about 5 minutes. One guy came and took the hotel room of a few people in front of us and ushered them to a table but never came back for ages, then someone else appeared, and we were finally seated. If they need to take the room numbers there should be someone always standing at that point to do so, so people do not have to stand about waiting. Although, when we sat down a guy quickly offered us tea or coffee. The breakfast was nice enough, but i hear a lot of people having to ask for things, that clearly were not being filled up quickly enough. Saying that the staff that were around that area always looked busy so it wasnt that they weren't doing anything, there maybe just wasn't enough of them to deal with it all!

I suppose it wasn't a bad stay, it is maybe just because i spent more time in the hotel than i would normally that i noticed things. The negatives were mostly minor service issues, although there seemed to be quite a few of them. My mum who was travelling with me commented that the staff reminded her of robots, they did what you wanted but if they spoke to you it was like they were talking from a script, and you normally just got one word answers. There wasn't any friendly conversation at all. It wasn't that they were rude they just didn't come across as very welcoming, except from the girls at the reception desk.

If i was going to something at the SECC then i would consider staying at this hotel, but other than that i can't see why i would need to go back, there are other better hotels not too far away!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay at our hotel. After reading your review I am sorry that our team members did not seem welcoming or efficient at breakfast. I am very concerned that you found some of our team less than welcoming as this is not normally an issue we have encountered. Rest assured I have spoken to the relevant managers who have taken your feedback on board and wish to be associated with my apologies to you.

I am particularly grateful for your feedback on the meals you had as we are currently in the process of changing all the menus in the hotel and changing the style of service in our restaurant . I hope this hasn’t marred your view of our establishment and I look forward to welcoming your back to the hotel in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This hotel is just outside the city but only a short taxi ride away, or twenty minute walk. The rooms have some fantastic views. The staff are really friendly and very helpful. I stay for business and find it ideal.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you would stay again on business or pleasure; our location is ideal for either! I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Oban
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My husband and I have just returned from an overnight stay at the Crowne Plaza. This was an It's On Deal with bed and breakfast and an afternoon tea with champagne. We know the Crowne Plaza well so knew that the surroundings and room would be of high quality. However, the warm, pleasant and efficient reception by all staff throughout our stay was superb. The afternoon tea was lovely, far more than we could manage! Our room was great as expected, and I loved the new additions such as the Better Sleep Pack. We had an evening meal in the Bar which was reasonably priced and delicious. Breakfast was super with a wide range of choices. The only suggestion I made was for a "Pillow Menu" as, though very comfortable for sitting up, the "bouncy" pillow was a little too substantial for my sleep preferences. So handily located for Glasgow, Science Museum, Transport Museum etc, the Crowne Plaza can't be beaten. What impressed me most was, although we were Deal customers, we were treated exactly the same as normal paying customers. I will watch for another such offer and would highly recommend the hotel to everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving such a wonderful review of your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Glasgow. I am so pleased that your stay was so good and that you enjoyed your afternoon tea. I am extremely proud of our staff members made your stay superb. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon. We do offer a selection of pillows on request from housekeeping but admittedly do not promote it in the rooms. We will add it to our directory on the next print.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here for one night having travelled up from London. Taxi from Glasgow Airport is inexpensive and quick. The hotel is situated on the banks of the River Clyde but isn't too near any restuarants or bars so if you were here for a night out in Glasgow you would probably be better to call a taxi from the hotel rather than walk. The rooms themselves are nice, huge comfortable beds, nice enough bathrooms too. Perfectly decent Crowne Plaza as you would expect.

Room Tip: Better views are over the River Clyde.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. I always enjoy reading reviews such as this one, they are a great boost to morale to know we are delivering the service that we should be. I hope to see you in the hotel again in the future.

Stranraer
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza for our wedding anniversary on 12th and 13th August and found almost all staff to be first class, the one exeption was in the bar on the Monday night. We had been out touring most of the day and arrived back at the hotel around 22.30 for a nightcap before bed. I ordered a Cosmopolitan for my wife and a B52 for myself, the B52 was to cost £32.55 (3 x £10.85 measures) needless to say, I declined at this cost, last time we stayed there it cost around £7.50.

The Cosmopalitan was undrinkable due to the amount of lime juice in it, when my wife returned it, the bar persons attitude was awful, she grudgingly made another which was good, we asked for another one as the bar was closing and again her attitude was terrible, you could tell she was going off shift and could not be bothered with the fuss of making it, no straw or slice of orange!!!

Klaudia, does nothing for the customer experience, we did complain on checkout and got an apology from the receptionist, who was a credit to Crowne Plaza.

It is unfortunate that the bar experience was not up to the standard you would expect in a hotel of this quality, but must add that the rest of the staff we encountered were first rate.

Would this put us off staying again? I would say it would, as we were extremely disappointed in the level of service from the bar staff.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
I am sorry that you did not experience the standards that we strive to extend to all our guests from all of our staff members. I will be looking into this incident and all of our cocktails are on a price list which is strictly adhered to. Please email me on gmsec.cpglasgow@qmh-hotels.com quoting your name, room number and date of stay, I would be only too happy to restore your faith in our hotel.

Regards,

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

First time back in four years and nothing had moved forward. Decent car park and good reception staff on arrival. Into the rooom and oh well it was just like four years ago. The place looked tired, air con was useless it blew air out but nothing else. Was on the first floor and the windows didn't open either.
Into the bar and I couldn't believe the price average just over £4 a drink. Staff though very friendly with good service.
Breakfast was as it is everytinme I hasve been here, great choice either hot or cold and the food is continually freshly cooked.
Think the time has come for somebody to start investi9ng in this place before the Commonwealth games as I imagine that will be big bucks for poor quality.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I can confirm that the hotel will be undergoing a complete refurbishment within the next few years, following our recent refurbishment of the ground floor areas. We have also installed the new flat screen televisions with a wide variety of channels in all of our rooms. I hope to see you again soon.

Regards,