“Terrible value for money. Awful experience.” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Binfield, United Kingdom
“Terrible value for money. Awful experience.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I was not impressed but more than that I would strongly advise people to actively avoid this hotel.

The hotel is some considerable way from Glasgow city centre and a car is essential. It is ideal for the SECC and BBC and this may be where they get most of their customers. It is not however convenient for the city centre which is vibrant and lively and well served by public transport which sadly goes no where near this hotel.

The hotel sits on the banks of the Clyde and has some fabulous views.

The hotel is modern with a large atrium area with bar and dining area, you could not call it a restaurant but it is a modern and imposing area.

Reception was busy on arrival and the service reflected this. It was rushed, impersonal and several times I had to check my understanding of what was being said. There was no mention of status and I was simply handled an envelope.

As is now common at this chain there was absolutely no recognition when I checked in despite my platinum status. it is the worst hotel loyalty programme on the planet. No upgrade, no extras ...nothing. As this is typical I booked a club room paying a substantial premium for club lounge access and continental breakfast.

My executive club room was in the 15th floor sadly next to the lounge. There was also a connecting door and the noise from both was noticeable. The room was clean and modern but the bathroom tired and meanly equipped with toiletries.

The lounge was simply dreadful. it is too small and at 6.30pm it was standing room only. It is unmanned though there is a desk for staff, so there is no welcome. Moreover there are no spirits, simply appalling snacks and paint stripper masquerading as red wine. There were some bottled beers, water - still and sparkling, but no soft drinks. It rates as my worst hotel executive club ever anywhere. I took a beer and left.

The health club is open to the public and frankly not very clean. it also has the smallest jacuzzi I have ever encountered. My visit was very brief.

Parking was extra even for those in executive rooms and Internet access charges were unserious with no free access and for that alone this hotel should be avoided.

When I got to the room and opened the envelope I found it contained vouchers for 20% off food and drinks but one time only and there was a list of terms and conditions that meant they could not be used other than on full priced items.

There was also an insulting offer to provide a single hour of Internet access. The voucher thing I despise, it is so impersonal, so careless and so lazy....it screams

" we don't really care and cant be bothered but we need to do something" .. " ...so have a voucher and wander around the hotel with it looking cheap"

........why not just adjust the bill, offer something tangible, immediate and that has some value to the customer. This was without question the most miserable offer I have encountered in a hotel and they would have been better to offer nothing.

And for this I paid £129 plus parking plus Internet close to £150, indeed shortly after booking the room alone was £149 a night which is simply a rip off. The hotel staff should be wearing masks.

There are 5 other ICHG hotels in the city 2 holiday inn 2 HIX and an indigo and I have now stayed in all. The night I booked the airport hotels had room less than £50 and the city centre hotels were £69. The Indigo was around £100 and I would have been better off in any of them. Sadly I choose this charmless establishment.

The situation in the morning got worse with breakfast ending at 9am in the lounge which was now empty and offering nothing at 9.15 on a Saturday morning....what are they thinking!

I was ale to to take breakfast downstairs but what is the point of paying for exclusivity if you have to eat in the same place as those paying substantially less. There was nothing wrong with food or the staff who served but that is not the point. You pay a premium price and have a reasonable expectation of receiving a premium product. Sadly the policies and procedures lack any customer focus and so the offering disappoints.

Worse was then to come when I got back to my room after breakfast. The key card would not work (something which is far too common in hotels today) and as I was on the 15th floor faced a long trek back to reception. There was no staff in the lounge and I could not get in as the key did not work there either. I then noticed that the room next door was being cleaned so I asked the maid to "call down to reception" and get a new key sent up. To my dismay she simply opened the door to my room for me. No checks, no asking my name, nothing.... she simply opened the door. I could have been anyone...... but was simply let into the room i requested access to.This was a huge issue for me and whilst I appreciate she was trying to help it was frankly reckless and utterly unacceptable. I would perhaps not have put this in this review however the hotels duty manager attitude to this was seriously alarming. They just did not care.

I asked to talk to the duty manager on checking out and I really should not have bothered. They were unashamedly unapologetic at one point stating that no one had ever complained about breakfast. They were not listening and not interested. Even the major breech of security seemed to pass her by with hardly a reaction. I was a nuisance and it was not the hotels policies, but rather head office policies that they simply followed. It was pathetic.

Personally I would avoid this hotel both because of it location but also because there is clearly significant management failings. They do not take ownership and palm yo off with company policies.

Glasgow is a great city, trendy friendly and with great shopping and places to stay and eat but this is not one of them.

This is also my second poor experience in a UK Crowne Plaza in 2013 but it will also be my last? They clearly are trying to position themselves as the premium brand for ICHG in the UK but whilst they are charging premium prices they are very definitely not offering a premium experience....

Room Tip: Unless visiting SECC find somewhere else
5 Thank Binman62
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for posting such a comprehensive review of your stay. I believe I have also responded to you personally following your direct email to me.

I am sorry that you obviously did not enjoy your stay with us however your feedback regarding cleanliness, Priority Club recognition, check-in and the leisure club has already been discussed at management level and with the relevant personnel to ensure that standards are strictly adhered to irrespective of how busy the hotel is. We do, on the majority of nights, offer our Platinum Priority Club members a complimentary upgrade however this is strictly dependent upon availability. With reference to location and transport , it may interest you to know that there is a train station at the SECC (the service runs every 15 minutes), a taxi rank outside the hotel or the Tour Bus which stops outside the SECC, all of which will take you into the city centre in a matter of minutes and will cost less than it would for city centre parking for a few hours.

Parking at the hotel is in line with the majority of our competitor hotels in the city and, in some cases, cheaper. Our wifi is currently under review by our Head Office.

There is no excuse for the member of our housekeeping team not adhering to our security procedures and this has already been dealt with.

As you are aware, following your review, we have taken action to now offer our guests extended breakfast times at weekends between 6:30am-10:00am.

I am sorry that you feel disillusioned with the hotel however I do hope that you will visit us again and allow us the opportunity to show you that we do take all feedback seriously and take action wherever possible to improve the service we offer our guests.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Friendly welcome at Reception. Only problem had with room was that there were a couple of pieces of litter left by the previous occupants - we mentioned this when leaving. Also there was some black mould under the soap dish in the bath - could have done with a good dose of domestos!! Had a great view from the 11th floor of Glasgow and the Clyde. Didn't have dinner but had a night cap in bar before bed. Breakfast was the usual self service only thing the waiter did for us was get the tea and coffee - no mention was made of anything else. What we had we enjoyed. Would we use the Hotel again - yes as long as we could get a special deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 10th floor and upwards
1 Thank tigerbrian
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay with us. I’m very pleased to read that your time withg us was enjoyable and you found our breakfast to be of great quality. Our views are amazing and I’m glad you were able to appreciate them from your room. I will ensure to share your review with our housekeeping team so rooms will always be in the best condition possible.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

You can get some really good rates - staff always friendly and helpful rooms are spacious well decorated and .... Amazing views .... Great location for the SECC and Clyde Auditorium near enough to the city centre and near the tall ships/ transport museum

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Budgetglobetrotters
I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our views to be amazing. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Have stayed here many times and it never fails to keep its high standards! Leisure facilities are clean and well maintained....breakfast is amazing! I Have not eaten in the restaurant as the food in the bar was not disappointing so I tend to eat in town. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tezcon2b
Thank you for leaving such a lovely review of your stay with us. I’m very pleased to read that everything was so wonderful during your time with us and you found the breakfasts to be a particular highlight of your stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Absolutely appalling. The rooms have no ventilation and because it was winter the management had switched the airconditioning off. Very noisy fan pumped lukewarm air round the hotel so it was like trying to sleep in a sauna. This chain is usually excellent - I am a platinum card holder with this chain so am normally a loyal member, so this hotel really lets it down, presumably because they are connected to the SECC they feel they don't need to bother, spoke with other people who said they no linger stay there and recommended other hotels nearby.
Both my wife and I had terrible headaches the following morning due to the poor air quality in the room.
I will never stay here again and recommend you avoid this one like the plague, if you are going to the SECC book somewhere else and enjoy the 5 minute walk!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Thank you for your review. I am really sorry that you had an uncomfortable stay with us due to a lack of ventilation in the room. Following previous reviews, we have carried out extensive capital works on our air conditioning system including upgrading the individual control units in each bedroom. I cannot explain as to how the unit in your bedroom would only provide lukewarm air, however I have asked for each and every unit to be checked to ensure it is working as it should be. Please be assured our system is never turned off but operates 12 months of the year.

Once again, please accept my apologies.

Regards
Murthly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

This is a fine hotel, clean and fine location for SECC. I gave it a 3 star as I asked myself the question: would I stay in this hotel if not for seeing a band at the SECC and the truthfull answer is no. Do not get me wrong this is a nice hotel and I have previously stayed here in a King Bed Suite which also allows you access to a room on the 15th floor where you get free drink and snacks (simply help yourself). It is clean, with nice bar & nice restuarant with good food. The cost of a room is vastly over priced and if you are staying here make sure you book online. I priced the hotel at receiption when purchasing concert tickets at SECC and found the rooms are cheaper online although still overpriced.
The Bar is clean and fine location but as others have previously mentioned, trying to get a drink on the night of a concert at SECC is a nightmare and you have a long wait. Does management actually read these comments?
So why am I staying here again:
1, good location for SECC & new Hydro
2, clean with reasonable bar & restuarant
3, taking advantage of "priority club rewards" so only charge is deduction of 20,000 points

The hotel is fit for purpose

Room Tip: Excellent location for SECC and for new Hydro (but room costs are much higher when a concert is on).
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoyAM B
Thank you for posting a review following your most recent stay. Please be assured we read each and every review and discuss at length at our Operations Meeting. Feedback is important to us.

We have fully reviewed our pre and post concert Restaurant, Bar & Lounge operation in an effort to provide a speedier service when the hotel gets busy due to an event at the SECC. I do hope you will stay with us again and witness the improvements we have made.

Kind regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

I don't usually do this however I felt it appropriate on this occasion to vent my frustration. On Friday evening I took my friend for dinner and some drinks in the restaurant as I have done on a number of occasions before.
I usually have decent service and in comfortable and clean surroundings.
Friday unfortunately was VERY different.
Where do I begin... The food was below average, it was not warm enough and really wasn't to the usual standard. This after waiting over an hour for starters and then a further 40 minutes for main course. There seemed to be too few staff running about trying to do the work of double the amount that were on rota. The table actually had crumbs and the stain of the previous diner's food and there was a chewed piece of bread on the floor under my seat. Also, some of the cutlery was filthy!
When I asked if I could speak to someone in a managerial position to complain, I was told that there was no one available to speak to. When I questioned this, I was met with shrugged shoulders and rolling eyes...
Quite honestly, the service I received was below par for a so called quality establishment. I would have been better going to Jack McPhee for a fish supper or something of that ilk as at least they don't pretend to offer something that they cannot deliver.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Huntlyboy
Thank you for posting a review following your most recent visit to the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you encountered and the disappointment you experienced, particularly as you have enjoyed previous visits to the hotel.

There is no excuse; we got it wrong and I can assure you that we have already taken steps to ensure we return to those levels of service that one has come to expect at the Crowne Plaza.

Apologies again and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to witness the improvements.

Regards