“Unison conference”

Ranked #39 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Unison conference”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

What a great lace to stay!! Customer service, food, entertainment.', leisure services! The works! Can't go wrong!

Were even lovely when I had to request soya milk and returned a meal being lactose intolerant! Ace staff!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Karla M
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for leaving a review on our hotel. I’m very pleased that everything was great and our team members handled everything during your stay well. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here for a 5 day visit to Glasgow in February with my family (2 young children). I would say this is more of a conference/business hotel. It has a link directly to the SECC (conference centre) which is very convenient for people attending conferences there. My children really enjoyed the buffet breakfast and swimming pool, and it was conveniently located near the Science Centre but apart from this, it wasn't particularly child friendly in terms of activities for children etc. Nevertheless, still a very good hotel and it suited our purposes (we always need a hotel with a pool). Also good for those wanting somewhere away from the busy city centre.
I have marked it slightly down for 'cleanliness' as there were several large wet patches of white powder on our carpet for several days which noone seemed too concerned about.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ali3888
I am very pleased to read that you and your young family enjoyed our hotel, especially our pool – I hope it helped wear them out for you! Our hotel does have more of a business feel to it but we cater very well for families.

I’m sorry your room was not as clean as we’d like it to be – should this happen again please don’t hesitate in contacting front desk to arrange for someone to come clean it. I hope to welcome you all back to the hotel soon.

UK
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The more I thought about writing this review, the more I cant actually believe the price I paid for a tacky, outdated and overpriced hotel and why did I book it more than a year in advance.......because its directly linked to the SECC and that is the only positive thing I have to say.

I should have known better that for a hotel of this size, its bound to be tired and overworked like a donkey but jeewizz the rooms really arent that great to comand the amount of money the are charging.

We made the poor decision to dine in the restaurant before our concert and it was like school dinners..... just really rank buffet food with no thought or imigination. I felt quite offended after dinner that they could serve so much rubbish, not to mention having to pay nearly £70 for the two of us. We would have had better food at one of the outlets in the SECC.

We paid the price for convenience and it wasnt worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Littlemurf
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your meal in the restaurant prior to attending a concert at the SECC. Since your stay in September of last year, we have reviewed our menus and several changes have been made. Our ground floor areas were refurbished in the Autumn of 2011 and I am sorry to that you thought the hotel was tacky and outdated. You may be interested to learn that further refurbishment is planned to take place later this year. I do hope you will visit us again to witness the improvements made.

stirling
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Stayed here for one night to attend a concert at the SECC just myself and my son. We've stayed here before and knew we'd be back as i love this place. The staff are always friendly and helpful, check in is quick and you can get into the SECC via a walkway connected to the hotel so it was perfect. The room was spotless (14th floor) and the view is as always beautiful especially at night. Very comfortable and spacious. The restaurant is excellent and i especially liked the breakfast as it is a buffet style layout and you can just choose whatever you want. Very relaxed and friendly atmosphere makes it such an enjoyable experience and it's one place i have no doubt we will be returning to.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Fiona H
I am very pleased to receive reviews such as yours as it shows our hard work does not go unnoticed. I am extremely happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will return in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times for work conferences. I think the rooms are nice and clean and staff are very friendly. Would definitely recommend staying here though it is a short taxi journey to all the shops, bars, restaurants. Ideal for concerts at the SECC.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gemmxx
Thank you for your review and for stating that you’d be happy recommending us to others. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My partner and I were attending an exhibition in the SECC, we didn't expect to get checked in at 9.30am we were just hoping that they would hold our bags for us, but the friendly receptionist managed check us in right away to our king club room.

Our room was on the 16th floor and the views from the room were spectacular! The room itself was a bit grubby and was much smaller than I thought it would have been having stayed in a similar class room in the Hilton and Carlton George but it didn’t bother me too much.

We made our way to the SECC and as the hotel is connected to the SECC we didn’t need to carry a jacket about with us which was really handy!

I would definitely NOT recommend the restaurant, having read the reviews before I arrived I was quite optimistic but the service was absolutely shocking. We arrived for dinner at 8, we managed to get a drink and our order taken. Or food arrived 45 minutes later and as we were finished our drink we asked for the wine list. After 30 mins the waitress arrived with the wine list another half an hour went past, we had finished our dinner and a waiter came to get our plates but said he could not take our drinks order but he will get us the desert menu.(The food at the restaurant was ok, we both had chicken wrapped in Parma ham with diced potatoes. It was very dry, especially since we couldn't get another drink!) The waitress that had given us the wine list was wandering around the centre of the room and didn’t look interested in attending to anyone at the tables unless they physically got up and asked for something, I wasn’t doing that! so After ANOTHER 30-40 mins wait my partner got up and left. We then decided to take advantage of the complimentary drinks at the king club lounge but as it was now after 10 it was shut.

I hate negative reviews and think some people just enjoy a good moan but I was genuinely really angry at the service we received as this was supposed to be a treat for my partner for valentines Weekend.

Room Tip: + Very good location for attending an event at the SECC + Stunning views of the River Clyde...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kym54321
Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay. I am very sorry about the service you received in the restaurant. There is certainly no excuse for poor service and I apologise for the lengthy delay in getting your meal. Your comments are much appreciated and will be used in a constructive manner to ensure our team deliver the correct standard of service.

I was pleased however to learn that our reception team were helpful and friendly and arranged an early check-in for you and you are quite right when you mention the stunning views from our bedrooms.

I do hope you will come back again and allow us the opportunity to deliver the standards one would expect at the Crowne Plaza.

Scotland. UK
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Booked the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow as we were going to a concert at the Clyde Auditorium. This hotel is absolutely perfect if attending concerts at either the auditorium or the SECC, as there is a direct link from the hotel to either venue so there's no need whatsoever to venture outside, particularly if the weather isn't good.
Room was nice, good size, clean and with great views of the city.
Complimentary bottles of water in the room, with an option to buy a mini bar package if required.
The bathroom had a good shower, and some lovely toiletries in the room , as well as free supplies if you've forgotten to bring your own toothbrush, razor etc, but there was a very small gap in the shower screen seal, so the bathroom floor was really wet once the shower had been switched off.
The room came equipped with cable TV, an iron and ironing board as well as a trouser press, and coffee/tea facilities which was much appreciated.
The bar area is very large so it doesn't feel that intimate. I felt the drinks were a little expensive, but hotels do tend to be a little dearer than city bars.
We chose to eat in the hotel bar- it was really busy and we had quite a wait for our food, but there were a lot of people staying in the hotel, presumably for the same reason we were, so I suppose it's understandable that food waiting times would be a little longer than usual.
There is also a large more formal dining area if your preference is not to eat in the bar area.
Checking out the following lunchtime took quite long as there was a queue of folk waiting to check out also, but the staff were very pleasant and apologetic for the wait.
There is a car park for residents that costs £6 for an overnight stay, payable on checkout.
There is a great pool and sauna in the hotel (sadly I didn't have the time to use it on this trip), and there's also a club lounge on the 15th floor. We were asked if we would like to upgrade to an exec room on that floor for an extra £25, but we had an early start so didn't accept the offer, however it's really good value as it gives you access to the club lounge, where you can get free wine (and spirits, I think) as well as some hot and cold nibbles, and breakfast goods as well, so worth paying that little extra. There's also a panoramic lift in the hotel as well, so you can enjoy views of Glasgow travelling up and down to your free bar!

I would stay here again , particularly for another concert, as the location is perfect. For those not going to concerts, it's still a great place to stay as the Glasgow Science Centre, BBC Studios, IMAX Cinema and Transport museum are all a few minutes walk away (across the squinty bridge!) so good location for all.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren1971
Thank you for leaving such a concise and wonderful review of our hotel. I’m so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking. I hope you choose to return to us soon so you can explore Glasgow further as well as experience all the facilities our hotel has to offer. I hope to welcome you back soon.