“Very Pleasant Stay”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Spent just 2 nights here on a touring holiday. Staff so pleasant and helpful, even rang our room to check everything was fine for us. Spotlessly clean, tastefully furnished room and good bathroom Quiet location unlike some Hotels where no one cares about how loud they are or how hard they bang the doors. Ate in the Quarterdeck Bar and the food was good and reasonably priced and the service was good too. £6 to park overnight and we caught the train into Glasgow from nearby SECC station £1.90 return which was very reasonable. A very pleasant stay

Room Tip: I am sure they are all good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chillypenguin60
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that your time with us was excellent and you found our team members to be wonderful and attentive. I hope to welcome you back soon for another pleasant stay with us.

Dominic McVey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed here one night. I was upgraded to a Club Room as I tried to do a Best Price Guarantee, this wasn't accepted, so I was offered a Club Room. It was very good with access to the Club Lounge, with snacks and drinks available at different times of the day. Also breakfast was free which was plentiful and good choice. Internet access was free but unfortunately the computer wasn't working.My room had a lovely view looking out at the river. The decor in the room is a little dark, but the bathroom was good with a bath and overhead shower. Toiletries also good. Only problem I have, it is a bit out of the way. But a ten minute walk to the station where train takes you in to centre in 10 minutes. I didn't find the reception staff friendly. Usually you would be asked if your room was okay or if everything was okay, but no chat at all. I did find the concierge very helpful and friendly. I would visit again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your Club Room and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Recently had the pleasure to stay in this fabulous hotel while down in my home town of Glasgow, and so glad we did! The hotel staff couldn't have been anymore helpful and friendly, from the moment we arrived until we left! Our beautiful double bedroom was both spotless and comfortable and we had a great view of The River Clyde which looked spectacular from the 5th floor! We ate in the restaurant and again could find no fault, both with the food -which was so beautifully displayed on the plate that I thought I was in a 'gourmet' restaurant and also the service which was 'spot on'! We were going to a show at the SECC and I thought it was a great bonus for us to walk through the hotel corridor and link to the SECC without having to go outside!
I would certainly not hesitate to stay here again when next down in my beautiful Glasgow.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your first stay with us and found our team members to be wonderfully friendly and helpful. I’m glad your room was to a high standard and you found the view from your room to be spectacular. I’m overjoyed you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant so much, I will share your review with our chef, I’m sure he’d love to read your kind words. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed one night in July. Great views from the window and a very comfortable room. The staff were all very friendly and helpful; service was prompt and efficient. There was a wedding the night I stayed and I wasn't disturbed by it at all. Breakfast was an amazing buffet selection and, although travelling on my own, I was seated discretely and well looked after. Very professional and business like. Would recommend.

Room Tip: I had a great room looking west down the Clyde and straight into the sunset. Stunning!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your break with us and found that though there was a wedding you were not disturbed by it at all. I’m pleased your breakfast was delicious and I’m happy you were well looked after by our team members. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

.Just arrived back from an overnight business trip to Scotland. Whilst working in both Edinburgh and Glasgow, elected to stay at the CP Glasgow as hotel costs in Glasgow were significantly more cost effective.

The hotel is conveniently located by the S.E.C.C and just off the M8. Be aware car parking is charged at 6 pounds per night.

The front desk staff were good and of a standard you would expect from Crowne Plaza, whilst the rooms are a little tired, they were clean and the mattress was incredibly comfortable. As a IHG platinum member I did get an upgrade to club and the facilities were of the usual standard.

However, my colleague and I ate in the restaurant that evening and whilst there was a wide food choice the quality was poor, in fact way below what you would expect from CP and worse than many Holiday Inns. You could elect to have a hot buffet option, choose from a select Scottish menu or choose A La Carte.

Before making any decisions I made a cursory trip around the buffet, the main carvery was roast pork which looked awfully dry on both ends, so that was a no no, all the hot sauce based dishes had a crust/skin from the warming lights as there were no lids to protect the food.

I elected to have the Haggis parcel off the Scottish menu followed by a Sirloin (the staple safe option when in hotels). The haggis and neaps left my mouth with a taste of grease. The sirloin was ok, but the mushrooms and the chips were poor, in fact your average oven chip would have been more pallatable, the chips again added to the grease sensation. The poor food was also compounded by sloppy service, no bread roll with out asking the question after the starter arrived. When the waiter spilled wine on the wooden table he made no attempt to wipe it up with a cloth, instead he just rubbed it across the surface with his hand. It is worth noting that for the evening meal the restaurant was not busy and my observations on the buffet were at 7.15pm so it still had a few hours to go.

Next morning my colleague and I agreed to meet early for breakfast at 7am, absolute bedlam, we struggled to get a table for two. On checking out I discovered that there were 5 coach parties in on the previous night and they were expecting 6 that evening! Apparently this is a common occurance through the summer with the hotel acting as a staging post before travelling on to the Highlands so be warned.

In summary the hotel is in a convenient location and if you can get it for 80 quid B&B offers a cost effective solution I would use again for business travel. However you get what you pay for and the hotel is much more in line with a Holiday Inn that the usual standard expected from a Crowne Plaza. If prices are much north of the above figure I would be looking for an alternative solution.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for your concise review of your experience with us. I am pleased to read that you found our team members to be of a high standard, our location ideal, and bedrooms to be clean and comfortable. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your meals, and as this is certainly not a comment we receive often I will be sure to investigate it to ensure our high standards don’t slip again.

Breakfast is, understandably, one of our busiest times of day and I’m sorry you experienced one of our more crowded mornings. However, I am pleased you managed to find a table and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed there for four days during our family vacation. It was easy to get in and our of town and to the train station. We took several tours and the train to Edinburgh. The taxi drivers were easily accessible as well when we were out late. The rooms were clean and spacious. There were ample towels, toiletries etc. provided. The concierge was very helpful in booking our tours. The hotel restaurant provided us with free pots of coffee in the morning. The kids enjoyed the pool! I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review highlighting why you enjoyed your time with us so much. I am very pleased to read that throughout your stay with us you found everything to your liking and found our team members extremely helpful. I hope very much to welcome you and your family back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at the crowne plaza and although a little way from the centre of Glasgow it's an excellent hotel. The rooms are modern and comfortable and the staff friendly. The restaurant is above average and the bar has a good atmosphere. It's location on the side of the Clyde is a plus if you fancy a walk after dinner! Always a pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank PG350

Thank you for taking the time to review your second stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed this stay as much as the first and you continue to find our hotel to be comfortable and modern with excellent team members. I hope to welcome you back very soon.