“John L”

Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Mojacar
“John L”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

During my working life I have stayed in many hotels and I found your breakfast menu and buffet the best ever

The bedroom was very comfortable and a good size, with a nice view up the river. The staff were all very pleasant.

There was no hair drier and no conditioner, even with assistance from the duty manager, and my wife has long hair! So I had to go and buy a bottle as she had already washed her hair

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you for reviewing your time with us. I am very pleased to read that your enjoyed your stay and found our meals to be of high standard and great choice. I am sorry to read of your wife’s issue with lack of hair dryer and conditioner – I will mention this to our housekeeping team to ensure some is always on hand. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The hotel's location is phenomenal. However, paying for WiFi as a tourist who relies on my phone both to call home and download maps while here makes it a HUGE inconvenience. After having WiFi during my recent stay and London and being without it now, I really do feel it. I understand that rewards members can get a voucher, but this is a service ALL traveling guests should be afforded. I have a few more days here and hope this missing service doesn't spoil my ability to navigate the city and stay in touch with home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TCallahan10
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you continue to have problems with our WiFi service. As you have stated it is currently only free for Gold and Elite members of our IHG Rewards Club but we are hoping to roll it out to all guests in the future. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us while exploring Glasgow.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

A warm and nice welcome and a great reception. My wife and I spent our wedding night there and we absolutely loved it.

The food is amazing, very fresh and delicate.

The view from the room is extravaganza! You can see the beautiful Clyde river and all those monuments around it.

The gym was fine as well, not the biggest swimming pool but good enough to relax.

You can't go wrong with the Plaza.

Room Tip: Ask for a view on the river bank.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am extremely pleased to read that you both enjoyed everything about your stay with us on the night of your wedding. I hope to welcome you back soon and belated congratulations to you both.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Crowne Plaza sits on the River Clyde about a mile west of downtown. It's a big gleaming building which from a distance looks like it is entirely made of glass. Modern it may look from the outside, but internally the hotel probably hasn't changed much since it opened in the late 80s or early 90s and could do with a refresh.

My bedroom could certainly do with a bit of updating: stripey wood is a bit last century. The same goes for the bathroom with its elderly brown walls. Oh, and the toilet paper was noticeably cheap in quality. However, the bed was so so comfortable, perhaps the best of any hotel I've reviewed on Tripadvisor. The aircon wasn't too bad but it was quite noisy and I had to run it all night long to keep the room cool. Surprisingly the room lacked a safe. As a frequent traveller I would expect a safe in the same way as I'd expect a flatscreen TV.

The swimming and spa facilities were ageing but still useful and clean, although they lacked a place to recline and relax.

Food and service were a bit hit and miss. Breakfast time can be busy due to all the tour groups and the service on one of the mornings wasn't that great. Conversely, service was much better on one of the busy evenings and the food was good too. The other, quieter, evening I ate there the service was really slow and the food not that great. In the evening a buffet is offered along with a la carte options but the buffet food didn't look too great sitting out.

Overall not a bad hotel and a handy place to stay if you have a car and plan to be out of the city. But there is room for improvement.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we provided the comfiest bed you have experienced in any hotel. I have taken notes concerning some of the issues you raised during your review and I hope to discuss these with my team soon. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

eastkilbride
Reviewed 14 August 2013

first of all i would like to thank all staff at the Crown Plaza for a wonderful stay.
we booked our stay with E-bookers online.
heard very good reviews. On arrival there was a Delay on checking in.
we were very professionally looked after by a young receptionist DONALD.
he was very apologetic about the delay and courteous.( an asset to crown plaza)
we were upgraded to an executive room and the use of the executive lounge and free breakfast vouchers were presented to us.
we did not use the vouchers or the executive lounge but it was a nice thought.
we requested room service at midnight and could not fault the service and food.
also we requested a late checkout which wasn't a problem.
car parking facilities were perfect.
thank for making our stay perfect.
we defiantly will be back.

Room Tip: request a room with a view of on to the clyde
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank exalted12
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and found our team members to be exceptional throughout your stay. I will share your review with everyone so they can see how much you appreciated their hard work. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here after booking on lastminute.com for an overnight stay as I was attending a conference in Glasgow. The hotel looked fantastic, and was easy to find. I had an excellent view of the river on a high floor. The room was of a very good size, well decorated and clean. It was nice and quiet, bathroom was spotless. Though I admit I spent little time in the hotel, everywhere was very clean and well maintained. The shop was well stocked and the lady very polite. The leisure facilities were also of an excellent standard, I didn't use the gym but it looked a little small, but there was only one person in so it didn't matter in the slightest. The pool was very large and again all very clean. I wouldn't hesitate in booking this hotel again, was well worth the price paid.

Room Tip: Request a high floor with views of the river.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Aiden K
Thank you for spending time writing such a wonderful review of our hotel. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and found it had spectacular views and it was clean and comfortable throughout. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Nice hotel location for business purpose. Easy access from either airport or train station - You can reach the conference center directly using some corridors without going outside. Nice when it is raining the whole day. The bar is OK, except that they don't make any MOJITO (!!?)
The breakfast is OK, large choice of food, continental breakfast.
The rooms are nice and clean, quiet and the bed is confortable. You can have a tea/coffee in your rooms with some biscuits - complimentary. Internet acces however is charged in the room. But you can access it for free from the reception, on a desk with a code.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking. I have taken your comments concerning the lack of mojito on board and I will discuss this with our bar team as soon as possible. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.