“Brilliant for SECC”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel is, as you would expect, fantastic in most regards. The breakfast was my favourite part. The room was a good size, not too small. The bed was a comfortable, so no complaints about the room.

I would recommend using the spa facilities as they are excellent. The spa staff were, unlike some other hotels, very helpful in navigating the maze that is hotel-spa-entrances.

Breakfast was wide ranging and all tasted good, and the staff were very attentive in the morning.

The location is ideal for the SECC, but I'm unsure I would return if I intended on going in to the city centre at night. This is not the hotels fault, but the road in to the city centre is dark and unappealing. I understand most people would take a taxi, and I would myself, but it is a thought. Having said that when we visited we were going to the SECC - and being able to access the SECC without leaving the hotel made my weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you found us to be fantastic with excellent spa facilities. I’m delighted that our connection with the SECC really made your stay that little bit easier and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 1215 and were very surprised when we were told that rooms were ready. We were asked if we wanted a room on a high or low floor. As I am on crutches we opted for a room on the first floor. The room was a good standard with a fridge and complementary bottles of water. Packages of soft and alcoholic drinks could be ordered but it is a lot cheaper to buy them yourself from the shop on the ground floor. We both had god nights sleep on both nights. There is a very good buffet breakfast which included haggis and square sausage as well as all the normal cooked breakfast items. On the Sunday morning at breakfast we asked if there was any chance of a late checkout as our train didn't leave until 5pm. Again this was no problem. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy B

Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had an excellent saty and function at the Crowne Plaza. The staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much for them to ensure our function went smoothly. The Hotel would have got 5 stars from us if the Air Con in the rooms was functioning correctly. The rooms were a tad too warm. Other than this minor point it was great to hold our function and stay at the hotel and would recommend anyone to do so.
Andrew Broadbelt
Chairman
HMS Churchill Association

Room Tip: Try and get the Club upgrade to 15th Floor!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew B

Dear Mr. Broadbelt,

Thank you for taking the time to review your event with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to be to your liking and that our team members ensured everything ran smoothly. I have passed on your comments regarding the air con to our maintenance team so that they can ensure it is now functioning correctly. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here with my partner for a 2 night business trip to organise an event at the hotel and we were checked into one of the Club rooms on floor 16 after the Liberal Democrat national conference to be told "you cannot check in till after 5:30pm and take your bags to the hotel down the river" " by a conference security guard and it would have been nice to be informed by the hotel themselves so that I didn't have to walk in the rain to the designated bag drop hotel.
Room Service
I really enjoyed "The Works" burger which is a good price but shame the Room Service breakfasts let the room service down, 2 breakfasts with cold toast wrapped in a paper napkin, no glass of milk, and various items missing, when I called down I was told it wasn't ordered, and that they couldn't check it as they had left the room service order form on the tray.
Club Lounge was a god send at times as you could escape the rush of the bar for a drink in a less noisy room, where you could do any work if you wanted when there wasn't children in the room . A suggestion is that rooms should not be allocated for families on these floors.

Room Tip: book a club room and ask for 16th Floor best views of the SSE Hydro and down the river both directio...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I have made a note of your experience with room service and I will be sure to discuss this with our team. Unfortunately, the timings of the conference were changed and we were unable to contact all of our guests to advise them of the later check-in. This was a unique situation implemented by Police Scotland however I apologise for the obvious inconvenience caused. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed for one night with several colleagues on Sept 18th On the plus side: Friendly v helpful staff, nice atmosphere, great views ( higher floors have amazing views) , good location, pretty good restaurant (not impressed with the tiny prawn starter and had course envy as colleagues opted for haggis and loved it) lovely mains and puddings, really quiet rooms with V comfy beds - we all slept well. Loved having plenty of towels and a robe ( no slippers in my room but others had slippers too) Liked the fact that there were basic toiletries and a notice saying they could provide anything forgotten - conditioner was a miss for a colleague who hadn't brought any and not seen the sign. It was good to have a reasonable sized pool open early enough for a pre work swim and staff happy to provide a second towel for my hair. Hair dryers v good in the changing rooms. Great to not have to ask for iron - it was in the room - Good breakfast with staff happy to provide requests off menu - The in room coffee/tea was good - several servings with biscuits and the room was clean - apart from the pants!
So I have rated the Crowne Paza at very good despite the fact that I found some grubby mens underpants by the curtains in my room 304 ( a first for me over very many hotel stays over the years - clearly a previous guest had been throwing their underwear around), in room information was a bit sparse so I didn't drink the complimentary water in the fridge as there was no indication of cost or not - had to go to reception to locate the pool and gym. The usual 'This Works' pillow spray was missing though mentioned ( a little luxury I loved at the Henley Crowne Plaza) and the pool had a film of white floating in places ( too many people not showering before swiming and leaving their body lotion in the pool maybe.)
If I went again I'd be on the phone to reception to ask for my pillow spray and probably book into a higher room ( I asked for a low floor as hate heights but the views were so good they were worth the fear). As in many/most hotels the lighting for applying makeup is poor and I wish they would have a by the bed power socket to charge the phone - again rare these days - Oh and the in room hair dryer was woeful - more power needed! No safe that I could find either.
Having said all that I would stay again.

Room Tip: HIgher floors for best views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I pleased to read that you found our hotel to be excellent. I am sorry to read that a few items were missing from your room (and included) and I will be sure to mention this to housekeeping to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I hope to welcome you back in the future for another wonderful stay.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Slightly different to other reviews I have submitted in that this is written purely as a disabled guest’s point of view which I hope disabled travelers will find useful.

Parking: Approx 10 disabled bays beside covered corridor leading to reception, automatic doors allow easy access.

Check in: No wheelchair height desk but staff were friendly and automatically filled in fire safety registration form with details of guest’s disability requirements. We were also advised on the evacuation procedure about going to nearest fire safety refuge and await assistance. Regarding this, I was a bit surprised that an accessible room was on the 15th floor. That said, we had a superb view down the Clyde to the transport museum and the tall ship ‘Glenlee’. Assistance was offered with our luggage

We were offered toilet raiser seat which was promptly brought up to room,. It was a pity it kept it kept falling off but there was a nice chrome handrail to assist.

Bedroom: The door had standard and w/c height viewer, bedroom and wetroom doors were extra wide (85cm) and stayed open for easy access. We had a mobility scooter and wheelchair in room and there was still lots of room to maneuver.

The bedroom had sliding wardrobe doors with wheelchair height hangers. Separate chest of drawers was accessible to w/c users.
Armchair and desk chair were accessible and easily moved round room. Desk had pull up accessible socket points.
There was a connecting door to the next room so guests could book accommodation for children or carers.
Tea tray was at an accessible height but also had a card offering “complimentary assistance” if guests were unable to use tea making facilities. Small drinks fridge also accessible below tea tray.

Fire Safety: Vibrating pillow alarm, flashing red light and audible message.(Engineer tested during stay)
Ceiling tracker hoist across top of bed and throughout wetroom from loo to shower, (hotel would have to be contacted direct to find out if this feature works) bed height 45cm, alarm cord beside bed. All light switches and central heating controls were at w/c height.

Use of complimentary bathrobes and slippers during stay and complimentary chocolates, tea and coffee facilities and bottled water were well received.

Wetroom: The ‘Loo’ height 47cm with rails on both sides (1 pull down) ample room for wheelchair at one side or in front of loo.
Basin height 75cm,curved to accommodate w/c underneath, one central tap with room for toiletries on basin, small w/c height shelf nearby, magnifying light up shaving mirror is at w/c height.
Shower: level access shower offering choice of fixed overhead shower head or adjustable, hand held or wall mountable shower head via dual controls accessible from fold down shower seat, room for w/c transfer. Horizontal rails surround the shower on
All sides for safety (2 pull down) rubber mat provided. Alarm cord beside loo and shower. Heated towel rail switch outside wetroom at an accessible height.

The restaurant was very spacious, with ample room for powerchairs and wheelchairs, upper level can be accessed via gentle ramp.
Breakfast and dinner were mainly from a hot, self-service buffet with plenty of staff available to assist. Chef based in centre of
Buffet area readily came over to discuss available dishes.

General: Ther Crowne Plaza Glasgow is a large, busy conference hotel with comfortable bedrooms. Large window offering panoramic views of River Clyde and across Glasgow. Nearby:.
Science Museum (entry charge) is across the river accessed via a paved pedestrian bridge.
Riverside (Transport) museum (free) is 5 –10 mins walk via an accessible riverside pathway.
Tall Ship (free) is on the river behind the Riverside Museum.

The Crowne Plaza Glasgow also has internal corridor access to Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre which we found very useful

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would certainly revisit the next time we are in Glasgow.

Room Tip: If you have a disability, try to get one of the accessible rooms. other than that, the higher the b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neilmcmurdo
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for the comprehensive review of your stay from a disabled guest’s point of view. I am very pleased to read that your experience in one of our accessible rooms was excellent and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We have received many positive comments regarding our accessible facilities and are very proud that we provide easy access to all areas for our guests. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in Glasgow.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We have just come back from a wonderful stay at the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow. The hotel was well located and it was good value for money.
The staff were tremendous, very polite and very willing to help with making suggestions, providing directions and in the general interaction with you.
We had dinner in the hotel on one of the nights and the food was great with good choice, well sized portions and good for the price too.
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel to other people visiting this area.
Thanks to all of the staff for making our stay feel so warm and welcoming

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil R

Thank you for taking the time to send feedback on your stay. I am delighted to read that your time with us was excellent and you found us to be great value for money with outstanding team members and great food. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.