“No longer a great hotel on the river. ”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“No longer a great hotel on the river. ”
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I've been staying in this hotel on and off for a few years now, and regretfully it's getting worse.
The room are tired and carpets in some rooms I've stayed in are heavily stained.
The breakfast used to be really nice. Now it's a disgrace.
I ordered poached eggs. A few years ago they came perfectly cooked with a few pieces of salad on a plate. Today it was two over cooked eggs on a small plate with lots of water.
When asked if I'd finished I told the waitress that I had and said that the eggs were over done and all I got was a confused gaze.
People used to come over and ask if everything was ok. Not any more. Today the servers were younger staff who were waking around looking like zombies. The young lady who served me never smiled or made eye contact.
It is a shame that this once good hotel which was a pleasure to stay in, because of its good level of customer service and fallen down so far.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Flyin_J
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that as a returning guest you find your stays are not as enjoyable as they once were. We pride ourselves in both our meals and customer service – and I’m sorry we let you down on both accounts during your stay. I will be sure to take your review up with our restaurant team to ensure this does not happen again. In the meantime, if you would like to discuss your stay with me further, please don’t hesitate in contacting me on gm.cpglasgow@qmh-hotels.com with your room number, name and date of stay. Once again I hope you accept my apologies for your stay.

Dominic McVey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is crying out for a refurb. I have stayed here on a couple of occasions but only because my other choices were fully booked, it would not be my first choice.

The hotel has a strange musty smell, the beds are uncomfortable, there's no table service in the bar, the restaurant service is terrible and the food is not great.

1 Thank JulyF
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry to read that your time with us was disappointing and I am very concerned by some of the points you have made. I will discuss your review at length with our hotel team as soon as possible.

Cheshire England
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is definitely an expenses account location, its upmarket Travelodge at best.
This hotel gets an absolute hammering given the functions it accommodates and its location near the BBC and now the new arena I bet it’s nearly booked up every night!
The senior management have got very lazy and careless as they have allowed the hotel to slowly crumble by way of furbishment- ongoing maintenance seems to be nil! It’s deteriorating little by little without them doing the right thing for their customers – but why should they spend the money and lose the room income when they can just keep raking it in!
Nothing major to complain about just a filthy stain here and a scuff there, sealant around the bath and grout well worn, bed springs showing through, pillows like trampolines, stained tiles basically a liturgy of little bits and bobs all adding to making me feel grubby!
The room was plenty OK by size and amenities likewise the bathroom.

It’s sort of out of town so it’s a £10 return cost for a cab to the centre.
Breakfast was a mediocre buffet – I got the feeling it was Farmfoods quality, coffee was noticeably very poor and only luke warm.
Great staff though, especially in the bar and breakfast – they hold it all together and should be praised.
I got a view of a huge metal roof but Im sure the higher cost rooms with a river view are better.

The windows cant open so its extremly claustraphobic for anyone like me who needs a breeze.

The furniture throughout is chipped,stained and looks lie secondary school utility issue.

The Marriott is a better choice – just!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river - the executive lounge is extremly poor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MarionMontgomery
Thank you for your comments. I am extremely disappointed and concerned to read your review as we pride ourselves on being one of the highest quality hotels in Glasgow. I have taken notes from your review and I will be sure to discuss them at length with our hotel team to see what we can do to improve. I am pleased however to confirm that we are currently finalising plans for a comprehensive refurbishment programme that I am confident will address the points you have raised.

I am also extremely pleased you found our team members to be excellent and I hope you return in the future so we can show you what we can offer.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here for one night for the first time in many years, the first thing I noticed was that everything was a little tired and needed freshening up.

Check in was pretty slow, the room was very good, clean and comfortable, great views.

Buffet breakfast was very good and quick.

Convenient location, would definately stay here again.

1 Thank Andrew P
Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

CHESTERFIELD
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We booked a double room for 1 night as we were seeing The Proclaimers at The Hydro. We booked on their website as it was the cheapest deal. We booked the advance saver rate which couldn't be cancelled and had to be paid in advance.. Two days after booking I found out that the price had been reduced by £45. Felt really annoyed at that. Went on their website and had a web chat with a representative who basically said it was the hotels perogative to change prices as and when they wished so there was nothing we could do. We had no choice but to continue with our stay at the hotel. We had noticed that they hadn't taken any money out of our account so we hadn't actually paid on the day we arrived. When we arrived at check in we were served by a young man who told us that our payment hadn't gone through and we still needed to pay. I asked him how much we were going to be charged and he said the amount that we had been quoted online. I then said we weren't happy as the price had dropped by £45. He then said he would go and speak to his superiors to see if they could reduce the price for us, they did and dropped the price by £40. We were very grateful to this young man for asking. He asked us for any room preference and we asked for a high floor overlooking the armadillo and the hydro. He obliged and we had great views. The room was absolutely fine, we had no complaints. They do an offer in the restaurant 2 courses and glass of wine for 2 people £29.99. We didn't want 2 courses so had a bar meal which ended up more expensive than the offer. Breakfast next morning was lovely especially the potato scones. Plenty of parking spaces in the car park. If we were ever to go to the hydro again we would definately stay here again as it was so handy

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DAVID I
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and would happily stay with us again in the future. I’m delighted our team members made your stay all that more special and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

troon scotland
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Every so often we have a wee night here and have never been disappointed. Staff always pleasant and rooms fab..love the views. Beds are big and very comfortable but could do without all the cushions .. they only end up on the floor in the way. Only one niggle.why is a glass of wine so expensive?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your time with us. I am very pleased to read that you continue to enjoy your time with us and find everything to your liking with each stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Cei Connah
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Nice hotel, ok location, helpful staff, what more do you need on a business trip? O yes a free bar for those who are Gold rewards or above, brilliant! Although i didnt eat in the hotel there was a nice Chinese just down the road.
Good access for the city centre and easy enough to leave the city without hitting the major traffic.

1 Thank OnAPlaneTo
Thank you for your thoughts on your stay. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back very soon.