Previously we had given Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South 5 stars (see my previous reviews), so we anticipated a similar enjoyable stay at this Crowne Plaza. Unfortunately this was deﬁnitely not the case.
Problems started at reception when booking in. I had assumed that having booked a suite rather than a club room as we had in Amsterdam we would have free wiﬁ. Wrong - and we were emphatically reminded that Crowne Plaza hotels are individual separately managed entities.
Still we thought as we had booked a suite (we had two grandchildren with us) it was still going to be a comfortable stay. Wrong - I list the problems in order of time sequence.
1. I had difﬁculty ﬁnding any way of stating we wished a quiet room on a high ﬂoor, when booking on the Crowne Plaza IHG website. I therefore phoned twice directly to the hotel (after eventually ﬁnding a local call phone number which the website omits as it also omits an email address). Unfortunately despite this we were given a lower ﬂoor. Although to be fair it was quite quiet in the hotel.
2. We found our room had not been set up for 4 people as we had stated on our booking. I ﬁrst noted missing towels and complained. Then we noted we were missing toiletries, mugs, bottled water, biscuits etc. At various stages we got supplies of these items after complaining a few times. I was also given free wiﬁ.
3. The next great disappointment was the children's sofa bed which hotel staff made up. On going to bed the children found the bed springs poking into them uncomfortably. We managed to alleviate their problems by putting a blanket and bath towels over the mattress. Interestingly Crowne Plaza has a leaﬂet "Sleep Advantage" which states the beds have a "deeply indulgent" mattress topper. I asked next day which beds this applied to. No satisfactory answer was given although one housekeeper suggested it was only available on request. At least a better mattress appeared for the children on the second night.
4. In our king bed next door we assumed we would get the same comfortable sleep as we had had in Amsterdam Crowne Plaza. Wrong - the bed was not very comfortable. I checked with the duty manager the next day if the mattress cover I showed him on our mattress was what they described in their leaﬂet as "deeply indulgent". He agreed that he would not describe it as such. I attach a picture of the mattress cover which I would estimate as possibly one quarter of an inch thick.
5. We assumed the Executive Lounge would be a similar size to the Amsterdam hotel. Wrong - it's quite small so you need to make sure you get there early for breakfast. Make sure you ask for what you require as food etc is quite limited, although, if asked, staff will get more. One male staff member was helpful in assisting you gain maximum enjoyment from what is provided.
The conclusion is to make sure you are clear what you are getting when booking a Crowne Plaza hotel. Do not assume having stayed in one you will enjoy your stay the same in another Crowne Plaza.
A ﬁnal comment is that after giving the 5 stars to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South we were surprised to be refused the points for our 5 nights stay in a club room. Apparently as we had booked the hotel via hotels.com we were not eligible for points as hotels.com are given advantageous rates by the IHG Group.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Crowne Plaza Glasgow. A modern and stylish hotel overlooking the River Clyde, with a covered walkway to the Scottish Exhibition & Conference Centre (SECC), Crowne Plaza Glasgow is an excellent choice for the business and leisure traveller. With 283 air conditioned contemporary bedrooms and suites, all fully equipped with Smart televisions, trouser press, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, tea/coffee making facilities and wireless internet access. The spacious Club Rooms boast Kingsized beds with stunning river views, Smart TVs and exclusive access to our Club Lounge, with complimentary refreshments to relax or hold informal meetings. The Leisure Club includes an indoor pool, equipped gym, sauna, spa and steam room. Alternatively, treat yourself to a massage or beauty treatment in Isis, our in-house Beauty Salon. There are 15 conference/functions suites, including a dedicated boardroom with plasma screen, to accommodate all types of events. Crowne Plaza Glasgow is located directly opposite the Glasgow Science Centre, the BBC and STV Headquarters and the nearby Transport Museum and Tall Ship visitor attraction. Easy access to shopping areas such as Braehead, Buchanan Galleries, St Enoch and Argyle Street make this a great leisure destination. The hotel is non-smoking throughout. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Crowne Plaza Glasgow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Glasgow Hotel Glasgow
- Glasgow Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Glasgow Scotland