“Very disappointing stay several problems” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen UK
“Very disappointing stay several problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Previously we had given Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South 5 stars (see my previous reviews), so we anticipated a similar enjoyable stay at this Crowne Plaza. Unfortunately this was definitely not the case.
Problems started at reception when booking in. I had assumed that having booked a suite rather than a club room as we had in Amsterdam we would have free wifi. Wrong - and we were emphatically reminded that Crowne Plaza hotels are individual separately managed entities.
Still we thought as we had booked a suite (we had two grandchildren with us) it was still going to be a comfortable stay. Wrong - I list the problems in order of time sequence.
1. I had difficulty finding any way of stating we wished a quiet room on a high floor, when booking on the Crowne Plaza IHG website. I therefore phoned twice directly to the hotel (after eventually finding a local call phone number which the website omits as it also omits an email address). Unfortunately despite this we were given a lower floor. Although to be fair it was quite quiet in the hotel.
2. We found our room had not been set up for 4 people as we had stated on our booking. I first noted missing towels and complained. Then we noted we were missing toiletries, mugs, bottled water, biscuits etc. At various stages we got supplies of these items after complaining a few times. I was also given free wifi.
3. The next great disappointment was the children's sofa bed which hotel staff made up. On going to bed the children found the bed springs poking into them uncomfortably. We managed to alleviate their problems by putting a blanket and bath towels over the mattress. Interestingly Crowne Plaza has a leaflet "Sleep Advantage" which states the beds have a "deeply indulgent" mattress topper. I asked next day which beds this applied to. No satisfactory answer was given although one housekeeper suggested it was only available on request. At least a better mattress appeared for the children on the second night.
4. In our king bed next door we assumed we would get the same comfortable sleep as we had had in Amsterdam Crowne Plaza. Wrong - the bed was not very comfortable. I checked with the duty manager the next day if the mattress cover I showed him on our mattress was what they described in their leaflet as "deeply indulgent". He agreed that he would not describe it as such. I attach a picture of the mattress cover which I would estimate as possibly one quarter of an inch thick.
5. We assumed the Executive Lounge would be a similar size to the Amsterdam hotel. Wrong - it's quite small so you need to make sure you get there early for breakfast. Make sure you ask for what you require as food etc is quite limited, although, if asked, staff will get more. One male staff member was helpful in assisting you gain maximum enjoyment from what is provided.
The conclusion is to make sure you are clear what you are getting when booking a Crowne Plaza hotel. Do not assume having stayed in one you will enjoy your stay the same in another Crowne Plaza.
A final comment is that after giving the 5 stars to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South we were surprised to be refused the points for our 5 nights stay in a club room. Apparently as we had booked the hotel via hotels.com we were not eligible for points as hotels.com are given advantageous rates by the IHG Group.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear KenTripUK,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of the points you've raised in this review and shared them with our Management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Despite your disappointment, we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I have stayed here on many occassions. The hotel is in a great position for the city centre and even better for the SECC and newly opened Hydro arena. Rooms are nicely decorated and spacious, always very clean. The staff are very friendly and service good. I already have another booking for this year and one for 2014.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and find our team members and location to be excellent. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of the big music venues in Glasgow and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The public areas are in need of some refurbishment now but if its a concert you are going to its ideal. The staff are friendly and the breakfast was adequate if not inspiring. There are good deals available so it can be cheaper than the other lower graded hotels in the area and there is a car park attached which can be a real bonus.

Room Tip: rooms at the front have a lovely view of the river
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Margaret G
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything, especially our team members, to your liking. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I've been staying in this hotel on and off for a few years now, and regretfully it's getting worse.
The room are tired and carpets in some rooms I've stayed in are heavily stained.
The breakfast used to be really nice. Now it's a disgrace.
I ordered poached eggs. A few years ago they came perfectly cooked with a few pieces of salad on a plate. Today it was two over cooked eggs on a small plate with lots of water.
When asked if I'd finished I told the waitress that I had and said that the eggs were over done and all I got was a confused gaze.
People used to come over and ask if everything was ok. Not any more. Today the servers were younger staff who were waking around looking like zombies. The young lady who served me never smiled or made eye contact.
It is a shame that this once good hotel which was a pleasure to stay in, because of its good level of customer service and fallen down so far.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Flyin_J
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that as a returning guest you find your stays are not as enjoyable as they once were. We pride ourselves in both our meals and customer service – and I’m sorry we let you down on both accounts during your stay. I will be sure to take your review up with our restaurant team to ensure this does not happen again. In the meantime, if you would like to discuss your stay with me further, please don’t hesitate in contacting me on gm.cpglasgow@qmh-hotels.com with your room number, name and date of stay. Once again I hope you accept my apologies for your stay.

Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is crying out for a refurb. I have stayed here on a couple of occasions but only because my other choices were fully booked, it would not be my first choice.

The hotel has a strange musty smell, the beds are uncomfortable, there's no table service in the bar, the restaurant service is terrible and the food is not great.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JulyF
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry to read that your time with us was disappointing and I am very concerned by some of the points you have made. I will discuss your review at length with our hotel team as soon as possible.

Cheshire England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is definitely an expenses account location, its upmarket Travelodge at best.
This hotel gets an absolute hammering given the functions it accommodates and its location near the BBC and now the new arena I bet it’s nearly booked up every night!
The senior management have got very lazy and careless as they have allowed the hotel to slowly crumble by way of furbishment- ongoing maintenance seems to be nil! It’s deteriorating little by little without them doing the right thing for their customers – but why should they spend the money and lose the room income when they can just keep raking it in!
Nothing major to complain about just a filthy stain here and a scuff there, sealant around the bath and grout well worn, bed springs showing through, pillows like trampolines, stained tiles basically a liturgy of little bits and bobs all adding to making me feel grubby!
The room was plenty OK by size and amenities likewise the bathroom.

It’s sort of out of town so it’s a £10 return cost for a cab to the centre.
Breakfast was a mediocre buffet – I got the feeling it was Farmfoods quality, coffee was noticeably very poor and only luke warm.
Great staff though, especially in the bar and breakfast – they hold it all together and should be praised.
I got a view of a huge metal roof but Im sure the higher cost rooms with a river view are better.

The windows cant open so its extremly claustraphobic for anyone like me who needs a breeze.

The furniture throughout is chipped,stained and looks lie secondary school utility issue.

The Marriott is a better choice – just!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river - the executive lounge is extremly poor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MarionMontgomery
Thank you for your comments. I am extremely disappointed and concerned to read your review as we pride ourselves on being one of the highest quality hotels in Glasgow. I have taken notes from your review and I will be sure to discuss them at length with our hotel team to see what we can do to improve. I am pleased however to confirm that we are currently finalising plans for a comprehensive refurbishment programme that I am confident will address the points you have raised.

I am also extremely pleased you found our team members to be excellent and I hope you return in the future so we can show you what we can offer.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here for one night for the first time in many years, the first thing I noticed was that everything was a little tired and needed freshening up.

Check in was pretty slow, the room was very good, clean and comfortable, great views.

Buffet breakfast was very good and quick.

Convenient location, would definately stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew P
Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.