“so so”

Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Doncaster UK
“so so”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

There are good and bad points about this hotel.
We have travelled extensively all over the UK and globally and consider ourselves a fair judgement on what is good value for money.
We paid £149 per room per night, which included breakfast and use of the business lounge on the 15th floor.
Overall I would say this hotel is about average.

One of the biggest problems I noted that there was a complete lack of information and signage on where to go and what to do? Nothing seemed to flow. There was no welcome pack in the room. Wifi was at an extra charge of £15, which when you are paying £149 a night is a bit cheeky. Most places now offer free WIFI these days.
Also our room was supposed to have a hydro bath but this was not the case. t was also very noisy. Im not sure why as our aircon was off. It was room 1622, on the far end.
Yes I agree with some previous reviews about it looking slightly tired and a bit dated. There was a large stain on the carpet in the room, which im sure house keeping know is there. So why do they not get it cleaned? Would you leave a large stain on your bedroom carpet at home?
Other than that the room was good with great views.

We were booked in by a very efficient lady called Catherine. She was very professional. She also granted me a room extension to 2pm free of charge which was excellent as she could have charged £20 for this.

One gripe for me is the £6 parking fee. If you are travelling by car there is no escaping this therefor it should be mentioned on the website.

We had room service and the food was average. I had a caesar salad which was quite poor. It was swimming in this white salad crème style sauce which had no flavour. I would not recommend this.

The breakfast despite what others have said in previous reviews was quite good. There was a lot to choose from and it was generally good quality although again there was a lack of information on where to go and what to do. We noticed the food station with the pastries and toast only on our way out.

The executive lounge which we had access to was nice. The seating was comfortable and there was a man there that was very fastidious with his cleaning and tidying up. Which was a bit annoying at times but never the less it meant the place was always clean and tidy.

Between 17:30 and 22:00 there is access to free alcohol in the executive lounge. This consisted of bottled beer and red and white wine. No spirits. So if you don't like the three items mentioned then there's probably no point in using it.
They do serve small snacks too which consists of crisps, nuts, little pastries and other small canopies. Nothing of greatness.

The gym area is quite basic and again not signed very well so its not clear on where to go. The staff however were friendly and left you to it and I didn't feel self conscious in any way which in the past I have in gyms.

The pool area is ok with a sauna and steam room at the side. There is also a jaccuzi which seems to be out of action cleaning itself a lot rather than actually bubbling so that was a bit annoying. But when you managed to get a go in it, it was very good.

Its difficult to know whether to recommend this hotel as I have nothing else to compare it to in Glasgow. Generally in cities the hotel standard drops way low and you are hard pushed to find anything that is value for money and above expectations.

I would suggest read the other reviews and if there is anything there that keeps cropping up that will annoy you then don't go.

Pay a bit more for the rooms on the top floor. The one we had was nice.

Room Tip: pay more and get one on the 16th floor. The views are amazing.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear traveltigs,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. My apologies for any disappointment you may have had during your stay. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Northumberland
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

To use a Glasgow expression this place is "no bad". I have stayed here twice in the last couple of months for both business and pleasure. The rooms are reasonable with some having spectacular views. The breakfast is very good in quite a good room. Although the hotel is bang in the middle of the SECC it is only a 20-30 minute walk from the city centre. This is a pleasant walk along the Clyde when the sun is shining. I have also used the handy train which takes about 5 minutes into town. The only downside is that there never seem to be enough staff on reception and queuing there appears to be the norm. I will certainly stay here again if the price is suitable.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Newtonbully
Dear Newtonbully,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced in our front office. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P
Huntly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Very handy for the SECC as there is a connecting corridor. Myself and 3 friends have stayed there three times when visiting the Craft Fairs have always found that the Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am extremely pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and found our team members to be friendly and helpful throughout. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Scotlandwell
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Having stayed at this hotel I knew what the expectations were as this is a really desirable place to spend a weekend. The room was a 'wow' moment as we were on the 16th floor overlooking the Clyde. My other half used the leisure facilities and nothing was left wanting in that direction. With The Good Food Show on at the SECC it was a good atmosphere and the chance to see some of the celebrity chefs in the Hotel. My only grouse is that they offer a fantastic breakfast buffet but like other place who do similar they food is often lukewarm at best. We had a meal in the Hotel on the Saturday and that was a bit slow in coming and also lukewarm. With the large number of guests this could be excused but for 5 star its not quite good enough. But love the hotel! However the service is good and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed your event at the SECC. I am sorry to read that your meals were only lukewarm and I offer my apologies – I will investigate this situation with our restaurant team immediately. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon for another relaxing stay.

Aberdeen UK
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Previously we had given Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South 5 stars (see my previous reviews), so we anticipated a similar enjoyable stay at this Crowne Plaza. Unfortunately this was definitely not the case.
Problems started at reception when booking in. I had assumed that having booked a suite rather than a club room as we had in Amsterdam we would have free wifi. Wrong - and we were emphatically reminded that Crowne Plaza hotels are individual separately managed entities.
Still we thought as we had booked a suite (we had two grandchildren with us) it was still going to be a comfortable stay. Wrong - I list the problems in order of time sequence.
1. I had difficulty finding any way of stating we wished a quiet room on a high floor, when booking on the Crowne Plaza IHG website. I therefore phoned twice directly to the hotel (after eventually finding a local call phone number which the website omits as it also omits an email address). Unfortunately despite this we were given a lower floor. Although to be fair it was quite quiet in the hotel.
2. We found our room had not been set up for 4 people as we had stated on our booking. I first noted missing towels and complained. Then we noted we were missing toiletries, mugs, bottled water, biscuits etc. At various stages we got supplies of these items after complaining a few times. I was also given free wifi.
3. The next great disappointment was the children's sofa bed which hotel staff made up. On going to bed the children found the bed springs poking into them uncomfortably. We managed to alleviate their problems by putting a blanket and bath towels over the mattress. Interestingly Crowne Plaza has a leaflet "Sleep Advantage" which states the beds have a "deeply indulgent" mattress topper. I asked next day which beds this applied to. No satisfactory answer was given although one housekeeper suggested it was only available on request. At least a better mattress appeared for the children on the second night.
4. In our king bed next door we assumed we would get the same comfortable sleep as we had had in Amsterdam Crowne Plaza. Wrong - the bed was not very comfortable. I checked with the duty manager the next day if the mattress cover I showed him on our mattress was what they described in their leaflet as "deeply indulgent". He agreed that he would not describe it as such. I attach a picture of the mattress cover which I would estimate as possibly one quarter of an inch thick.
5. We assumed the Executive Lounge would be a similar size to the Amsterdam hotel. Wrong - it's quite small so you need to make sure you get there early for breakfast. Make sure you ask for what you require as food etc is quite limited, although, if asked, staff will get more. One male staff member was helpful in assisting you gain maximum enjoyment from what is provided.
The conclusion is to make sure you are clear what you are getting when booking a Crowne Plaza hotel. Do not assume having stayed in one you will enjoy your stay the same in another Crowne Plaza.
A final comment is that after giving the 5 stars to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South we were surprised to be refused the points for our 5 nights stay in a club room. Apparently as we had booked the hotel via hotels.com we were not eligible for points as hotels.com are given advantageous rates by the IHG Group.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear KenTripUK,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of the points you've raised in this review and shared them with our Management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Despite your disappointment, we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I have stayed here on many occassions. The hotel is in a great position for the city centre and even better for the SECC and newly opened Hydro arena. Rooms are nicely decorated and spacious, always very clean. The staff are very friendly and service good. I already have another booking for this year and one for 2014.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and find our team members and location to be excellent. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

edinburgh
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of the big music venues in Glasgow and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The public areas are in need of some refurbishment now but if its a concert you are going to its ideal. The staff are friendly and the breakfast was adequate if not inspiring. There are good deals available so it can be cheaper than the other lower graded hotels in the area and there is a car park attached which can be a real bonus.

Room Tip: rooms at the front have a lovely view of the river
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Margaret G
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything, especially our team members, to your liking. I hope to welcome you back very soon.