“Very Nice stay”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you are considering spending the night or weekend in Glasgow possibly on a trip to the Secc or the Hydro you could do a great deal worse than stay at the Crown Plaza. Lovely hotel and very nice restuarant really very nice food and not over priced.

A PLUS point the Crown Plaza is linked to the SECC by an undercover walkway great in the winter - nice dry and warm.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that your time with us was pleasant and you found everything from your meals to our link with the SECC. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

From check in to check out the service I recieved was brilliant. The staff here are a credit to this hotel and I thoroughly recommend a stay here.
As a member of the IHG rewards programme I was offered a choice of free drink and snack or points upon my check in as well as being upgraded to an Executive Club Room, which also gave me free access to the Executive Club Lounge. Free drinks, lovely canapés and being looked after by Frank, it made my stay more personal and that homely feeling is so important when always away from home..... Thank you, I will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TracyJC2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and your upgrade. I will be sure to share your review with our team members as they work incredibly hard for our guests. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night in October 2013. The car park was convenient and check in was fairly straightforward if a little busy.

I chose a hotel outside of the city centre for the convenient car parking, however this hotel was a little further from the city centre than I had anticiapted. That was my fault though so not a criticism of the hotel. We walked into the city centre for dinner and got a taxi home which was quite cheap at £5.

The bar had a nice atmosphere and the hotel felt quite relaxed. We didn't book breakfast in the hotel, once again because I had misjudged the distance from the city centre. I would recommend booking breakfast if you are staying here.

The room was very comfortable and had a great view (we were on the 10th floor), I slept really well with no light getting through the curtains. The shower was great and bathroom was clean.

I can't fault this hotel, it is large and impersonal but I knew that when I was booking. If I was attending an event in the SECC I would use this hotel again but if I was visiting the city, I would probably choose a more central hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Very disappointed, usually as a member of the IHG rewards I'm offered either a free drink or points upon check in. Neither was forth coming for my visit. I'll stay in a different IHG hotel next time in Glasgow.

• Stayed: October 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Mike156I,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the IHG Rewards Club perks. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

There are good and bad points about this hotel.
We have travelled extensively all over the UK and globally and consider ourselves a fair judgement on what is good value for money.
We paid £149 per room per night, which included breakfast and use of the business lounge on the 15th floor.
Overall I would say this hotel is about average.

One of the biggest problems I noted that there was a complete lack of information and signage on where to go and what to do? Nothing seemed to flow. There was no welcome pack in the room. Wifi was at an extra charge of £15, which when you are paying £149 a night is a bit cheeky. Most places now offer free WIFI these days.
Also our room was supposed to have a hydro bath but this was not the case. t was also very noisy. Im not sure why as our aircon was off. It was room 1622, on the far end.
Yes I agree with some previous reviews about it looking slightly tired and a bit dated. There was a large stain on the carpet in the room, which im sure house keeping know is there. So why do they not get it cleaned? Would you leave a large stain on your bedroom carpet at home?
Other than that the room was good with great views.

We were booked in by a very efficient lady called Catherine. She was very professional. She also granted me a room extension to 2pm free of charge which was excellent as she could have charged £20 for this.

One gripe for me is the £6 parking fee. If you are travelling by car there is no escaping this therefor it should be mentioned on the website.

We had room service and the food was average. I had a caesar salad which was quite poor. It was swimming in this white salad crème style sauce which had no flavour. I would not recommend this.

The breakfast despite what others have said in previous reviews was quite good. There was a lot to choose from and it was generally good quality although again there was a lack of information on where to go and what to do. We noticed the food station with the pastries and toast only on our way out.

The executive lounge which we had access to was nice. The seating was comfortable and there was a man there that was very fastidious with his cleaning and tidying up. Which was a bit annoying at times but never the less it meant the place was always clean and tidy.

Between 17:30 and 22:00 there is access to free alcohol in the executive lounge. This consisted of bottled beer and red and white wine. No spirits. So if you don't like the three items mentioned then there's probably no point in using it.
They do serve small snacks too which consists of crisps, nuts, little pastries and other small canopies. Nothing of greatness.

The gym area is quite basic and again not signed very well so its not clear on where to go. The staff however were friendly and left you to it and I didn't feel self conscious in any way which in the past I have in gyms.

The pool area is ok with a sauna and steam room at the side. There is also a jaccuzi which seems to be out of action cleaning itself a lot rather than actually bubbling so that was a bit annoying. But when you managed to get a go in it, it was very good.

Its difficult to know whether to recommend this hotel as I have nothing else to compare it to in Glasgow. Generally in cities the hotel standard drops way low and you are hard pushed to find anything that is value for money and above expectations.

I would suggest read the other reviews and if there is anything there that keeps cropping up that will annoy you then don't go.

Pay a bit more for the rooms on the top floor. The one we had was nice.

Room Tip: pay more and get one on the 16th floor. The views are amazing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear traveltigs,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. My apologies for any disappointment you may have had during your stay. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen C

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

To use a Glasgow expression this place is "no bad". I have stayed here twice in the last couple of months for both business and pleasure. The rooms are reasonable with some having spectacular views. The breakfast is very good in quite a good room. Although the hotel is bang in the middle of the SECC it is only a 20-30 minute walk from the city centre. This is a pleasant walk along the Clyde when the sun is shining. I have also used the handy train which takes about 5 minutes into town. The only downside is that there never seem to be enough staff on reception and queuing there appears to be the norm. I will certainly stay here again if the price is suitable.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Newtonbully

Dear Newtonbully,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced in our front office. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Very handy for the SECC as there is a connecting corridor. Myself and 3 friends have stayed there three times when visiting the Craft Fairs have always found that the Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am extremely pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and found our team members to be friendly and helpful throughout. I hope to welcome you back in the future.