“Great hotel great location”

Crowne Plaza Glasgow
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Perfect location for attending an event at the Hydro. Stayed in a suite - excellent for families as there are 2 rooms - 1 bedroom and a bed settee plus access to the club lounge for free continental breakfast plus wine in the evening. Staff from housekeeping and room service were excellent. Fantastic views. Would recommend - love it!

• Stayed: November 2013
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that your stay with us was perfect and you found everything to be to your liking. I’m delighted that you would happily recommend us and I will be sure to share your lovely review with our team members. I hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Glasgow

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I suppose we've been coming to and using this hotel for the best part of 30 years. The rooms have, on occasion, looked slightly weather-worn and have that 'lived in' feeling. However, the last two times we have been allocated the same room on the tenth floor looking down the Clyde to the Transport Museum and beyond and it has been terrific both times.

Room 1014 is a family room with two king-sized beds and more pillows than you could ever need. In-room facilities are above average including tea, coffee and hot chocolate and some biccies - what's not to love? We had a couple of laptops and phones and finding a plug was a bit of a job as the 'tower' on the desk was past its best and we couldn't get it to rise to expose the extra sockets we needed. Bathroom was well-stocked.

Breakfast was, as before, terrific. Veggie sausages AND veggie haggis as well as yummy tattie scones, hash browns, perfect eggs and quality baked beans. Coffee was the usual vile hotel offering (one day all hotels will serve proper coffee and will, miraculously, find customer satisfaction with their breakfast experience go through the roof!) The serving staff were lovely.

Negatives are: having to pay for parking and the brown water served with breakfast.

Cost: £111. You could get a better deal than this in the town at Grasshoppers or similar, but the convenience of being so close to the venues was, for us at least, worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and continue to find everything to your liking. I am sorry to read that the water was not to the quality we would hope to serve and I will be looking into this immediately. I hope to welcome you back very soon and you continue to enjoy your time with us.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

On arrival before normal check in time we were recognised as platinum members and given a club room on 15th floor. The room overlooked the river and the Waverly Paddle Steamer was tied up just below for a good photograph, also good views of new Hydro, Armadillo and SECC with transport museum also close by. Room was good and clean and the breakfast had many choices and well presented. A good scottish breakfast. Would stay again.
Easiest way to get into city centre is to walk across the enclosed walkway to the Exhibition Centre Station and pick up the train to Glasgow Central Station or Argyle St with a cost of £1.80 return and takes 5 minute walk from hotel and 7 minute train journey around every 10 minutes or so..

1  Thank Kirktoncoll

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. I am very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

The view from the room was spectacular and the hotel sits right on the Clyde next to the SEC, the Armadillo and the Hydro so it's really convenient. The room was very comfy, if a tiny bit worn, the breakfast was great and the staff excellent. My only gripe was that I couldn't sleep. The pillow was as hard as a block of wood and I couldn't open the window to get any fresh air into the room. Being a country girl who likes her feather pillows this was not good. But fab views, I'll take my own pillow next time.

Room Tip: Take your own pillow!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our rooms to be comfortable and our breakfast excellent. I am very sorry to read that you found it difficult to sleep – when you next stay our team members would only be too happy to offer you an alternative type of pillow. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel has a good location near the SECC in Glasgow - slightly out of the town centre - a good walk or short taxi ride. Just beware the multiple level roads in Glasgow which can confuse a sat-nav. Plenty of parking is available.

Reception can be busy, but the staff are helpful and friendly.

Rooms are a good size, with everything you need - and the views are excellent.

Food is good - but with a price to match. Certainly well worth it if you don't fancy the trip into town. Breakfast is excellent and really sets you up for the day. The staff recommended a number of restaurants in the town - all excellent choices, so hats off to them!

Room Tip: High rooms facing the river have excellent views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank morrobainn

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed for 3 nights

Pluses - the hotel is in a superb location, overlooking the Clyde and the SECC (Armadillo). The pool was really lovely and quite large for a hotel pool. There was a good range of food for breakfast. Rooms are nice but decor a little on the tired side.

Minuses - mainly the staff didn't seem to be completely in control or aware of what was going on. For example when we arrived I really wanted to find out what was on offer within the hotel (I hadn't booked it myself so didn't have any info). I particularly wanted to go for a swim and plan our evening - where and when to eat (have a small baby so timings and menus were important). We searched the room high and low for an info pack, then tried the TV - no info. So I called reception and they said that the hotel info was on the TV system and that the maintenance guy would come up and show me, I also mentioned that one of the tables had a very wobbly top and I was worried about my daughter injuring herself on it. We had to wait half an hour and then the maintenance guy (who was lovely) came and fixed the table. He said that the TV information system was down and that reception should have known that. He kindly went off and grabbed some information such as photocopies of menus for us. I phoned reception to complain that on their advice I had waited in for half an hour in order to access the hotel information via the TV screen when the system was down and apparently had been so for quite some time. I spoke to the reception manager who was very curt and played a blame game saying "no one had told reception so it wasn't their fault". Havind worked in a five star hotel myself, I was expecting to get an apology and assurance that they would do something to rectify it. Having alerted reception to the problem about no information in the rooms, I thought they might have at least rustled up a document with basic information that people would need such as where the pool was located, information about the spa, parking and where the restaurant was and opening times for breakfast etc and perhaps a sample menu for the restaurant. We were there 3 nights and the whole time, there was no information provided. In the end after waiting so long for the information on the first night, it was too late to have a swim. I have just read some of the other reviews which talk about a club lounge, I didn't know this existed or whether we could have accessed it due to the lack of information.

Other service issues - almost being turned away from breakfast on the second day as my name wasn't on any of the 3 lists they were using on the maitre d' desk! Eventually they found me as I was just down by my first name - bizarre. Breakfasts were chaotic with lots of staff mulling around (sometimes talking to one another) waiting until things had run out and they had been told by a guest before replenishing. This happened all 3 mornings we were there, breakfast just didn't seem to be well run which was a shame as the food itself was nice but when you have had to ask for bread to make toast, for a plate for the toast, for a spoon to serve the prunes, juice, hash browns etc etc, you start to lose the will to live! The breakfast layout was also not very intuitive, juice was on one side of the room far away from the fruit and yoghurt which was in turn far away from the cereals, toast and pastries.

If they could sort out the service and training (particularly for management), this could be a really nice hotel.

We didn't eat in the hotel as the restaurant didn't grab us, it felt like the hotel lobby, fine for breakfast but not great in the evening and it seemed quite expensive for what was on offer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. I am pleased you found our hotel to be in a great location but I am sorry that you feel we lacked organisation and training in our team members. I have taken all your comments on board and I hope to discuss them with our team members as soon as possible. Overall, I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed here on business 06/11/13 to 07/11/13 and its ok, rooms are a bit tired but the evening meal was really nice, the cauliflower soup and lamb being really tasty. Breakfast was an experience though, had the scottish breakfast with scrambled egg. Plated it up and sat down and saw the longest, blackest head hair IN the eggs, obviously from the kitchen. Didn't make a fuss, took it to the waitress and said that maybe the kitchen staff should wear a hair net. She came out with the immortal reply "Yes". I didn't expect much but jeez.....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M N

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found your meals to your liking. I am sorry you found a hair in your meal as this is not expected in our restaurant. I will be sure to share your review with our chef and the restaurant team. I apologise for the lack of customer service shown to you and I will ensure that our team members are more considerate in the future. I hope to welcome you back when you next visit Glasgow.